Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: First Cast Disaster

Boolit Mold
    A note on keeping your cadence while casting - when you need to take a break after a while, set the mold on top of the pot so it stays hot. If you come back within a few minutes, you'll likely be able to take up where you left off without casting any rejects.
    Matt (casting, reloading for my trapdoor. Always looking for what I can make myself instead of buying)

Boolit Master
    No such thing as a cast disaster ,just a remelt .........unless you do what I have done ,and put a bit of lead pipe with water or mud trapped inside into a hot pot.

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    No such thing as a cast disaster ,just a remelt .........unless you do what I have done ,and put a bit of lead pipe with water or mud trapped inside into a hot pot.
    You're right. I've cast a few times now since the original post and it's getting better. One month away from winter so I think the next time I cast will be in 4 or so months unless we get a nice warm sunny day in between.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by vrod1023 View Post
    You're right. I've cast a few times now since the original post and it's getting better. One month away from winter so I think the next time I cast will be in 4 or so months unless we get a nice warm sunny day in between.

So now that you have had some success with casting, what do you think about the hollow point mold you started with?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    So now that you have had some success with casting, what do you think about the hollow point mold you started with?
    Thanks for your question Barry54. My success has been with the TL-356-124-2R mold. I have the 2 cavity. I have tried the hollowpoint mold again but still failed to get a proper pour. I haven't given up. I have gone to the extent of sending it back to the manufacturer because the last time all the lead just ran through but they found nothing wrong with the mold so it's clear operator error. I will eventually get it right.