Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun powders??

Boolit Master

Shotgun powders??

Hey everyone, Happy Memorial Day (weekend)! Though it's my least favorite holiday as it marks the beginning of the unbearable hot season. (Gets to 130 here!!)

Anyway, where have all the shotgun powders gone?? I've been looking around to buy an 8 pounder of something from Titewad to H-International in burn speed, and there basically isn't any. Where did it go?? I was actually looking for Titewad at first, but everywhere says "out of stock" and "don't ask/don't bother"--> no backorder. What's up with that??

There seems to be plenty of rifle powders, and slower shotgun powders, but what of the more common scattergun powders???

Good god how I hate that it's gone from "What can I afford?" to "What will they "GRACE" us with?" When I do replace stock on reloading items, I'm afraid to use it for fear I'll never be able to replace it!! Sad state of affairs...

Thanks,
    Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 05-25-2024 at 07:45 PM.
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    There is some data out there for TightGroup and Bullseye. Winchester super target...
    Then there’s the new powders they keep pushing on us. Perfect Pattern and High Gun are in stock.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, any of the Clays line are gone indefinitely.

Tight group (High Gun) and Perfect Pattern are the most reliably available but are ultra dense.

And apparently they recently released 12ga data for Win 244 if you can find that as well.

WSF and WSH are available in my area, using WSF in 20ga to replace unique, and WSH for 12ga.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. I had not bought shotgun powder in several years, and was unaware of Hodgdon's forced move to Perfect Pattern and High Gun. They are not even on my home reference burn chart.

What a PITA! I have scads and scads of load data that is rather worthless (in respect to the powders they are killing). Has Hodgdon said "xxx load data can be used" on either of those powders??

As far as dense powders--> they are more economical to use, and it's not all that tough to build a load column that works. I cut my own card and some cushion wads. Also, I think roll crimping is fun, so often build roll crimp loads which are not fussy about column height.

However, I also load for pistols, and very dense powders are not the best there...

Thanks again,
    Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    I’ve heard internet rumors about Tight group being High Gun with a different label. I need to do some more research and load comparisons before I believe it.

I just got the new 12th edition BPI Advantages Manual. There are loads with TiteGroup probably carried over from previous editions. I called before I purchased this newest edition to see if it included Perfect Pattern and High Gun and it does. But it’s still polluted with many loads with obsolete components. Powder or wads.

The Hodgdon data center has been updated and shotgun data can now be filtered by primer!!! So I recommend looking at free data there, especially if you already have a BPI manual.

Now, what’s this about Hodgdon being forced to discontinue the clays lineup? Where’s the story on that? Is it epa garbage or some euro-weenie doings?

Boolit Master
    Oh! Interesting about primers! I'll have a look...

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Oh yeah. That's the most aggravating thing about loading for shotgun!!

"Ok, that load looks good----> nope, don't have that primer." "Ah, there's another one---> nope, don't have that frickin' wad." Etc., etc., etc. And then we are told to do exact loads only; no substitutions. That's why I have 27 darn loading manuals!! Man how I wish there was an economical way to test shotshell pressure!!!

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    What the heck??? On the Hodgdon reloading site, have a look at the "Muzzleloader" data section. How bizzare is that???

Vettepilot

It seems an idiot is allocating our supplies to other country’s inability to negotiate their differences. Alliant has said they won’t be offering powder and the manufactures that supply’s Hodgdon had production issues too.
    It seems that if you can find powder for shotgun reloading, get it and work around any issues. I have used many Cheddite primers without issues and won’t change back to the popular manufactures if they make primers available.
    Good luck.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Hey everyone, Happy Memorial Day (weekend)! Though it's my least favorite holiday as it marks the beginning of the unbearable hot season. (Gets to 130 here!!)

Anyway, where have all the shotgun powders gone?? I've been looking around to buy an 8 pounder of something from Titewad to H-International in burn speed, and there basically isn't any. Where did it go?? I was actually looking for Titewad at first, but everywhere says "out of stock" and "don't ask/don't bother"--> no backorder. What's up with that??

There seems to be plenty of rifle powders, and slower shotgun powders, but what of the more common scattergun powders???

Good god how I hate that it's gone from "What can I afford?" to "What will they "GRACE" us with?" When I do replace stock on reloading items, I'm afraid to use it for fear I'll never be able to replace it!! Sad state of affairs...

Thanks,
    Vettepilot
    World wide shortages, an uptick in firearms and ammo sales, trade wars, actual wars, international relation issues, and manufacturer profiteering have all caused the disappearance of supplies, and the massive increase in cost associated with the ones you can find.

Shorter version, their either unavailable, or priced to the point their no longer economical.

If you can find something at a reasonable price, buy it and use the appropriate data. It's a pain, but really about the only option right now, whether you're shooting metallic cartridge or shotguns.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Bub

I know what being said about shotgun powders , primers , Wads and recipes.... I'm working up loads using pistol powders (Clean Shot and Unique) and Cheddite primers. Lucky I have a chrono to use. Start low and work up !!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gns4me View Post
    I know what being said about shotgun powders , primers , Wads and recipes.... I'm working up loads using pistol powders (Clean Shot and Unique) and Cheddite primers. Lucky I have a chrono to use. Start low and work up !!!
    You will probably get chastised severely for saying out loud that you are working up shotgun loads. If you are experienced and confident knock yourself out. Just beware shotguns operate at such low pressures there are no “pressure signs” to observe at normal operating pressures.

If you think you have a reasonable load and want to be sure it is safe, you can send it to precision reloading and pay to have it pressure tested.

Boolit Master
    Regarding working up shotshell loads...

I'm a "maker", and sometimes dream up things I will never get around to building.

How about a stronger barrel for shotguns, that would tolerate higher pressures, thus allowing one to work up loads like we do for rifles? (Yeah, I know, it would be too heavy for wing shooting...)

Another thing I've dreamed about is a small machined relief in the chamber that would allow the brass of the shotshell to very slightly bulge into only on higher pressure loads. One could "calibrate" it with the heaviest, highest pressure loads on the market. Then when your home brew reload hits that level of "bulge", you would know where you're at.

Yeah, I'll never get around to that either...

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Ok, new question. I am just trying to get a modest stock before it's either gone, or priced so high I'm out of luck.

I load both 20 and 12 gauge for fun, no competition. Everything from light 20 to slug 12 ga.

I have some Longshot, Unique, and Lil Gun to cover the slower burn powders.

I was looking for Titewad in order to increase my faster powder stock. I did not know about it being phased out.

So, which do you recommend now? If it comes down to High Gun or Perfect Pattern, which do you recommend and why? Which has more varied load data?

Thanks!
    Vettepilot

Boolit Master

"My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Ok, new question. I am just trying to get a modest stock before it's either gone, or priced so high I'm out of luck.

I load both 20 and 12 gauge for fun, no competition. Everything from light 20 to slug 12 ga.

I have some Longshot, Unique, and Lil Gun to cover the slower burn powders.

I was looking for Titewad in order to increase my faster powder stock. I did not know about it being phased out.

So, which do you recommend now? If it comes down to High Gun or Perfect Pattern, which do you recommend and why? Which has more varied load data?

Thanks!
    Vettepilot
    I'm in a position where I'm having to switch over to a new powder myself. While, I mostly use mine for buckshot loads, I am seeing that Longshot is probably the best for my needs. If you're loading trap and target loads, you probably won't have a problem with Unique. It's a pretty good shotgun powder. Also, Red Dot, Green Dot, even Bullseye can be used for shotshell loads. If you don't already have one, I'd suggest getting a current manual, and looking through what powders seem to be commonly used for the types of loads you're looking to load. That should answer your questions.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    I'm in a position where I'm having to switch over to a new powder myself. While, I mostly use mine for buckshot loads, I am seeing that Longshot is probably the best for my needs. If you're loading trap and target loads, you probably won't have a problem with Unique. It's a pretty good shotgun powder. Also, Red Dot, Green Dot, even Bullseye can be used for shotshell loads. If you don't already have one, I'd suggest getting a current manual, and looking through what powders seem to be commonly used for the types of loads you're looking to load. That should answer your questions.
    In Fact, are Oft Recommended.. 20ga is how I got onto Green Dot... Same with Nitro-100...and Nitro-100NF... Which I use for More cartridges than Shotgun!!

Boolit Master

When there's turmoil EVERYWHERE........prices go up and availability goes down.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Yeah. Don't get me started on loading manuals. I've got bunches just to search out loads that use the components I have. BPI has some crappy sneaky methods for getting the most bucks out of you by forcing you to buy multiple manuals. Grrr...

;~)

Vettepilot