Load DataRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Last Pound of SR4756, what now?

Boolit Master

Last Pound of SR4756, what now?

I've finally gotten down to my last pound of SR4756. I primarily use it in 12ga Buckshot loads, see here: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...for-4-Buckshot

I don't shoot a lot of shotgun, but it'd be nice to go ahead and pick out a new powder. Anyone have any suggestions for a good substitute? I see lots of guys using Longshot, Lil'Gun, and HS-6 these days. I used to use a little Blue Dot in my pistols, and might have some on hand, but that seems like I'd have to adjust my shot column to use the recommended dosage for buckshot loads. The great thing about the SR4756 was the relatively high velocity for pressure. Lyman's manual shows the 27-28grs of SR4756 getting about 1250fps in either #4 buckshot or standard 1-1/8oz shot loads while only developing 9000psi.

What do you recommend?
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Longshot! It’s currently available. Lots of buckshot data for it. And as Don told me, pick something useful for handguns too. HS-6 would be my second choice.

Oh, there’s 1-1/8 shot data at 1600 FPS in my BPI manual 6th edition, if you are feeling feisty!!

Boolit Master
    You are in a predicament if you are still wanting to use AA hulls and red wads. The newest Lyman manual doesn’t show Longshot buckshot loads.

There’s plenty of Longshot data from BPI but the majority of it is for Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls. Some federal hulls and imported wads from Italy they disguise the names on. Precision Reloading sells the same wads with less disguised names and part numbers.
    Speaking of Precision Reloading, Tom Roster’s best patterning lead and bismuth pamphlet has very useful data. All of the recipes call for buffer (which can be omitted)
    I found it noteworthy that plenty of the recipes say Win 209 OR Cheddite 209 primers. So in his recipes, they are interchangeable for the most part. Plus Cheddite 209s are in stock everywhere. He says buckshot can be used in place of shot as long as the payload weight is the same or less. (Which it should be less due to using larger pellets) He says omitting the buffer will cause a slight decrease in pressure, and increase in velocity but patterns will decline without the buffer.
    All of his recipes call for PSB Precision Reloading’s spherical buffer. Which is fine by me, since it’s a better value than any of the three buffers sold by BPI.

Be forewarned there’s not many recipes in Tom Roster’s pamphlet but the majority of the data is useful with currently available components. Except for 800X powder. My copy included an update page with wad substitutions for the hard to find Remington wads and the Federal 12S4 wad. The substitute wads aren’t a direct swap, so a felt wad may be needed in the bottom of the shot cup. All in all, I’m happy with the data, but others may think the price is high with the small number of recipes.

I just got the BPI 12th edition for $25 and I’m less happy with it (because I’ve got two earlier editions) than Tom Rosters booklet for $15. The 12th edition is still polluted with data for discontinued components. Components that were discontinued in my 10th edition as well. PB powder. 800X and Turkey Ranger wads. Rio hulls and Vectan powders. They have done an amazing job of publishing data where at least one component in the recipe is impossible to get!

USMC 77, USRA 79

Too bad I don’t live closer to ya..l I gots about 5 lbs of 4756 I haven’t used….
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Longshot! It’s currently available. Lots of buckshot data for it. And as Don told me, pick something useful for handguns too. HS-6 would be my second choice.

Oh, there’s 1-1/8 shot data at 1600 FPS in my BPI manual 6th edition, if you are feeling feisty!!
    I am kind of leaning towards longshot, as I do see all the data for it. I'm using the Lyman 5th Shotshell Manual, and it obviously doesn't. So I'll have to buy some new manuals as well. Blue Dot is relevant to both, so that may be another option for my current components.

You are in a predicament if you are still wanting to use AA hulls and red wads. The newest Lyman manual doesn’t show Longshot buckshot loads.

There’s plenty of Longshot data from BPI but the majority of it is for Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls. Some federal hulls and imported wads from Italy they disguise the names on. Precision Reloading sells the same wads with less disguised names and part numbers.
    Speaking of Precision Reloading, Tom Roster’s best patterning lead and bismuth pamphlet has very useful data. All of the recipes call for buffer (which can be omitted)
    I found it noteworthy that plenty of the recipes say Win 209 OR Cheddite 209 primers. So in his recipes, they are interchangeable for the most part. Plus Cheddite 209s are in stock everywhere. He says buckshot can be used in place of shot as long as the payload weight is the same or less. (Which it should be less due to using larger pellets) He says omitting the buffer will cause a slight decrease in pressure, and increase in velocity but patterns will decline without the buffer.
    All of his recipes call for PSB Precision Reloading’s spherical buffer. Which is fine by me, since it’s a better value than any of the three buffers sold by BPI.

Be forewarned there’s not many recipes in Tom Roster’s pamphlet but the majority of the data is useful with currently available components. Except for 800X powder. My copy included an update page with wad substitutions for the hard to find Remington wads and the Federal 12S4 wad. The substitute wads aren’t a direct swap, so a felt wad may be needed in the bottom of the shot cup. All in all, I’m happy with the data, but others may think the price is high with the small number of recipes.

I just got the BPI 12th edition for $25 and I’m less happy with it (because I’ve got two earlier editions) than Tom Rosters booklet for $15. The 12th edition is still polluted with data for discontinued components. Components that were discontinued in my 10th edition as well. PB powder. 800X and Turkey Ranger wads. Rio hulls and Vectan powders. They have done an amazing job of publishing data where at least one component in the recipe is impossible to get!
    Thanks for the detailed response!

AA Hulls are still available, and the Claybuster WAA12R wads are still produced. So I figured they would still have data for them. They're kind of the classic combo in many ways. Considering I have about 500 AA hulls right now, and about that many wads, I really need to use them up. So at the very least I'll probably have to switch to another more available powder which still has good data for what I'm doing.

But I'll have to pick up a copy of Tom's manual. That's one thing I noticed in the Lyman, the difference between the Buckshot and the Lead shot data is usually only a grain or so apart, so most data should be inter-changeable. Though I realize there could be some differences in pressure with how the shot column flows through the barrel. Either way, that manual sounds like it's the go-to!

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Too bad I don’t live closer to ya..l I gots about 5 lbs of 4756 I haven’t used….
    I'd love to take you up on it! 4756 is a good powder. It produces great velocities without a lot of pressure. If I ever make it up that way maybe I'll take it off your hands.

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Buddy
    If I was closer I'd give you what I have left. I'm using Longshot because it's everywhere and 800X because I picked up 8 lbs at a LGS cheap recently.

Boolit Master
    Precision Reloading will pressure test customers loads for a fee.

Strictly in my opinion, switching to the WAA12R from a load that uses the WAA12F114 wad to make more room for buckshot pellets doesn’t seem too far out in left field. There’s less cushion section so there’s likely a little more pressure but if you studied all the available data you can scrounge up, I bet you could improvise a suitable load with longshot that would be within acceptable pressure and wouldn’t be a waste of money to have pressure tested.

SR 4756 is my powder of choice for several hand gun loads.Down to about 6lbs left. Will be sorely disappointed when it's gone.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beaverhunter2 View Post
    If I was closer I'd give you what I have left. I'm using Longshot because it's everywhere and 800X because I picked up 8 lbs at a LGS cheap recently.
    800X was also discontinued. Never used it myself, but I'm told that people like it. With 8lbs of it at the right price, I'd see no good reason not to use it up! Sounds like a good score.

Precision Reloading will pressure test customers loads for a fee.

Strictly in my opinion, switching to the WAA12R from a load that uses the WAA12F114 wad to make more room for buckshot pellets doesn’t seem too far out in left field. There’s less cushion section so there’s likely a little more pressure but if you studied all the available data you can scrounge up, I bet you could improvise a suitable load with longshot that would be within acceptable pressure and wouldn’t be a waste of money to have pressure tested.
    I didn't know Precision Reloading does this. Looking at their website real quick, it looks like they actually charge $53 for this. But still, that's not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    SR 4756 is my powder of choice for several hand gun loads.Down to about 6lbs left. Will be sorely disappointed when it's gone.
    Good powder for shotgunning. Never tried it in pistols, but I understand people liked it in 45acp quite a bit.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    800X was also discontinued. Never used it myself, but I'm told that people like it. With 8lbs of it at the right price, I'd see no good reason not to use it up! Sounds like a good score.
    I know it's discontinued. I wish I'd cleaned them out the day I saw they had it. They're out now. I'm using some to develop a reasonable slug and 000 buckshot load and then going to put the rest in my stash. It doesn't meter well but it's very versatile. I have data for 12 gauge from 1 1/8oz-1 3/4oz and 20 gauge from 7/8oz-1 1/4oz. Not many powders can do that. When I can't get powder, I can load whatever I need.

I used to use Blue Dot for my heavy waterfowl and buckshot loads. After a blooper rained my BBB steel about 15 yards from the blind on a late season goose hunt, I did some cold weather testing. Bloopers aren't common but they happen when it's cold and that's not acceptable to me. (Federal 209As and CCI 209Ms so the problem wasn't a colder primer.)

Too many good components have gone away. And prices have skyrocketed for what's left. Reloading used to be a good way to save money. (Actually- shoot more for the same money. ) Not so much anymore.

Boolit Master

Can still be cheaper for some stuff. Look at 16ga, revolver rounds (especially magnum), and non-common rounds such as European imported pistols shoot. One of the reasons I've almost stopped using 16ga is because of the cost of the shells, when you can find them. I just ordered a conversion piece for the Load All. So I'll be able to solve that problem before too long...at least for one caliber.

Boolit Master
    Aa#5?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Aa#5?
    I can honestly say that my only experience with Accurate powders is with AA-2230/Ramshot X-Terminator. I don't know much about AA-5, nor have I seen much data for it.

Try looking at local estate sales. I’ve found a dozen bottles of Trail Boss the last 6 months.

A couple years ago, I stumbled on 12 bottle of 4756 at my local gun club and snagged them up.

As a replacement, look at Herco, longshot, Win 572, or unique.

Don’t always need magnum powders to throw 1 1/8 oz of buckshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk