RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Help w/ Hollywood press ??

Boolit Buddy

Help w/ Hollywood press ??

i just picked up a Hollywood Senior press w/ powder measure and a few other pcs. I am going to strip (maybe not, still nice) the powder measure and "de-rust the inside", but how does the micro adj. come out of the frame. I see where a small set screw has fell out (inside threads are still shiny) and a set screw on the end of the adj-handle) it is all alum (no plier marks). it does screw in & out very easily. BUT, it is RUSTY down inside. Any help appreciated .

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Soak the whole thing in citris cleaner for a day or so and the rust will come off pretty easy. That should loosen up the works towhere you can remove it.See my article on refurbing a Turret Tool.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...od-Turret-Tool
    The 82nd Airborne Taught Us To Make the Rules Not Follow Them Like Sheeple

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, greybuff, i don't see any threads on the main body of the micro- adj., so it must just slide into the body and the missing set screw hold it in place. ???.

Hootmix.

Yes as I recall when I took one apart, once the cylinder is removed from the main body ,and after soaking with citrus or some kind of penetrant, you should be able to take a wooden dowel and tap lightly on the micro-adjust and it will come out. I've only taken apart one HW, but all of the other brands i've done come apart the same way. Just make sure that the set screw is out.

Boolit Buddy
    OK, just looked at the main frame (12 holes in top plate) in one of the holes is a threaded stem about 3/4" high i believe this is a drop tube (rusted in the top plate) to go in the powder measure. This is what's molded on the frame, side #1 patented date 1935, side#2 Universal.
    Has a place for 4 primer stems (i have 2, 1- lg. & 1- sm.) top is round, guessing 52-62 model?

Thank you again, coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Can you post pics?

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry greybuff, "but", just finished watching Rex Roach's #i video so here is what i learned.
    #1- I have the type #3, "B-Special, between 1947-49.
    #2- has the 4 hole priming turret.
    #4- has the 12 hole turret for rifle& pistol.
    #5- My powder measure is the original w/ the door knob on the side (Rex said off of a 50 model Studebaker).

Once i get the mud-dobber's & dirt& grease off i will know if the top plate is stainless?
    Everything is soaking, and "NO" i'm not very patient.

I need more COFFEE, Hootmix.

What ever you do don't "polish" the turrets. Soak and clean, but don't use a sander or any other abrasive on it. I was informed from several Hollywood collectors that the 3 turrets on your's and my presses have a hard anodized coating that you do not want to remove. I have 9 HW's and all of the turret's seem to have the same coating.

Boolit Master
    Looks like excellent advice from Greybuff! If it say "Hollywood Turret Tool on the side" you would want to preserve the hard coat anodizing on the large and small Aluminum turrets as described above. But if the frame is steel and the turrets steel (use a magnet) then clean and polish as you would any steel. I think what you meant to say in your #5 was window crank rather door knob on the powder measure.
    You're right to save the paint if is in nice shape. That is very durable paint on those models, Dawn and an old tooth brush will do the trick.
    Welcome to the world of Luxurious Iron!
    JW
    Last edited by John Wayne; 05-26-2024 at 02:09 PM.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!