RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mixing lubricants

Boolit Master

mixing lubricants

as a fan of old ugly guns some of these old firearms being not well cared for and rusted up need freeing up and lubricating. my Current project is a very rusted traditions muzzle loader.
    ive been using all kinds of lubricants and rust penetrating oils. I find with kroil or even blaster I treat stuff that needs freeing up and it needs several soaking because these things seem to dry up. I like 3 in one oil but it doesn't seem to do what kroil or blaster does so im thinking of mixing kroil with 30 weight and adding a bit of dextron for good measure and maybe even some lps rust preventer .
    has anyone else done anything like this or is it a fools errand

Boolit Master
    another thing on my mind is the cost. saw a spray can of kroil in store last week its now over $20. fortunately I have a gallon can of kroil and LPS rust inhibitor and other lubricants
    but replacing them is so much more now than when I got them. these things get very expensive real quick these days

I like transmission oil and 0000 steel wool to clean old rusty guns.

Boolit Bub
    As a mechanic, mixing Acetone and ATF in a 50/50 mix is a very inexpensive penetrating oil.

For under $20 you should be able to get a quart of each and you would have a half gallon of the penetrating oil mix.

are you trying to remove rust or free frozen parts ? - iirc there are several scientific tests that have shown that old time Liquid Wrench equal or exceeds Kroil in many applications -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    as a fan of old ugly guns some of these old firearms being not well cared for and rusted up need freeing up and lubricating. my Current project is a very rusted traditions muzzle loader.
    ive been using all kinds of lubricants and rust penetrating oils. I find with kroil or even blaster I treat stuff that needs freeing up and it needs several soaking because these things seem to dry up. I like 3 in one oil but it doesn't seem to do what kroil or blaster does so im thinking of mixing kroil with 30 weight and adding a bit of dextron for good measure and maybe even some lps rust preventer .
    has anyone else done anything like this or is it a fools errand
    Acetone and ATF in a 50/50 mix as mentioned by Cat-Menchanic is been shown in tests to be better than all the popular mixtures for penetrating rusty steel stuff. Which makes sense to me, the acetone seeps into the threads or whatever and when it dries, it leaves the ATF for a lube.
    Search the youtube for tests for yourself.

I've always had luck with Aero-Kroil, so I've never mixed up any Acetone and ATF.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

For pins and screws or threads you can form a cup with clay and fill it. For outside surfaces a capped piece of pvc tubing close to size.Or a trick I have used is a cheese cloth or light cloth wrapped 3-4 times around and soak with the penetrating fluid then wrap in plastic.

A really radical way is a copper tube capped the top cap with a tire stem installed. insert the barrel complete screw on the top cap with the tire stem and pressurize to 50-70 psi. The addition of pressure will help push the kroil, 50/50 or blaster into the seams and crevasses. You could use pvc pipe for this fixture but would want to drop the pressure down some.

I have had good results with the wrapping a to soak. Wrapping you can reuse the oil. with the tube soak or pressure tube the oils can be filtered and reused.
    On a good sunny day stand the tube in direct sunlight or warm with a heat gun this will help the penetrate to work in also.

with the wrap method cut the plastic 6-8" longer than the part, wrap with the cloth then center on the plastic fold ends over and tape to seal.

Boolit Grand Master
    My opinion on penetrating oils is that most of them work, but some work better than others. Also some work better on certain jobs.

Penetrating oil with a bit of heat added sometimes works wonders. With enough heat, 80/90 gear oil works as penetrating oil (just don't let the safety Nazi's catch you).

Robert

Boolit Master
    Most of the above is about mixing a lubricant with a solvent. If you’re really going to mix oils, pick oils with the same base. Mixing a lube based on mineral oil with one based on synthetic oil can lead to unsatisfactory results.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    For pins and screws or threads you can form a cup with clay and fill it. For outside surfaces a capped piece of pvc tubing close to size.Or a trick I have used is a cheese cloth or light cloth wrapped 3-4 times around and soak with the penetrating fluid then wrap in plastic.

A really radical way is a copper tube capped the top cap with a tire stem installed. insert the barrel complete screw on the top cap with the tire stem and pressurize to 50-70 psi. The addition of pressure will help push the kroil, 50/50 or blaster into the seams and crevasses. You could use pvc pipe for this fixture but would want to drop the pressure down some.

I have had good results with the wrapping a to soak. Wrapping you can reuse the oil. with the tube soak or pressure tube the oils can be filtered and reused.
    On a good sunny day stand the tube in direct sunlight or warm with a heat gun this will help the penetrate to work in also.

with the wrap method cut the plastic 6-8" longer than the part, wrap with the cloth then center on the plastic fold ends over and tape to seal.
    Thank you for sharing those tips. All are great, but the clay cup idea will be very handy.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    are you trying to remove rust or free frozen parts ? - iirc there are several scientific tests that have shown that old time Liquid Wrench equal or exceeds Kroil in many applications -
    50-50 acetone and ATF beats Liquid Wrench according to Popular Mechanics.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    50-50 acetone and ATF beats Liquid Wrench according to Popular Mechanics.
    even a small amount of acetone is extremely harmful to plastics + wood finishes, ok on most bare metals - exercise care when using - original poster still has not specified if he is looking to mix a lubricant or a penetration formula -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    another thing on my mind is the cost. saw a spray can of kroil in store last week its now over $20. fortunately I have a gallon can of kroil and LPS rust inhibitor and other lubricants
    but replacing them is so much more now than when I got them. these things get very expensive real quick these days
    I bought two spray cans of Kroil and I'll never own another. It's a great product but I found out the hard way, if you don't use the spray on a daily basis the Kroil will ruin the nozzle and you have a useless can of expensive penetrant. 50/50 acetone/ATF is best and you can mix as much or as little as you need.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Most of the above is about mixing a lubricant with a solvent. If you’re really going to mix oils, pick oils with the same base. Mixing a lube based on mineral oil with one based on synthetic oil can lead to unsatisfactory results.
    I know nothing! however any product without the words; Lubricant, or Oil are penetrants. Again, I know nothing. But I worked for Liquid Wrench, and Cyclo as rep.

Quote Originally Posted by max it View Post
    I know nothing! however any product without the words; Lubricant, or Oil are penetrants. Again, I know nothing. But I worked for Liquid Wrench, and Cyclo as rep.
    totally agree about different qualities of lubricants + penetrants, there is a definite different, even if some lubricants have limited penetrant qualities -jmho

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    If you haven't see this gentleman it may be worth a watch. I don't think he gave the 50/50 enough time to work. Lots of old school how to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1zI8CcTgHg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw18-1UlfmQ

Boolit Master
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Ed's Red" by now.

It's 1/3 acetone, 1/3 ATF, and 1/3 kerosene.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Ed's Red" by now.

It's 1/3 acetone, 1/3 ATF, and 1/3 kerosene.
    that's close, and maybe that's your version of Ed's Red...but it's not Ed's Red.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-s-Red-Formula
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    that's close, and maybe that's your version of Ed's Red...but it's not Ed's Red.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-s-Red-Formula
    you are totally corect about the Ed'S red formula -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by max it View Post
    Me too, about not knowing, this was just something that I learned long ago about mixing greases and later found that it applies to oils.