Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: NOE mold for 45-70

NOE mold for 45-70

Anyone have experience with this particular product? I’ve never cast for 45-70, but do for other calibers. I’m also haven’t cast anything that big so I’m open for advice. NOE is running sale and looking to buy a mold this weekend. I’m open to other recommendations though. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Really depends on what you want to shoot at. Punching paper up close, too much lead to waste. Punching paper far away and that weight will serve you well. Hunting at any reasonable distance and it's too much weight. Not that it won't work - it sure will, but that's a lot of lead to keep putting down range. I primarily hunt so my boolits are generally in the 350 to 400 grain weight. Not saying it's a bad choice, because it's not. Depends on what your desires are. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Really depends on what you want to shoot at. Punching paper up close, too much lead to waste. Punching paper far away and that weight will serve you well. Hunting at any reasonable distance and it's too much weight. Not that it won't work - it sure will, but that's a lot of lead to keep putting down range. I primarily hunt so my boolits are generally in the 350 to 400 grain weight. Not saying it's a bad choice, because it's not. Depends on what your desires are. Good luck.
    Wasting lead isn’t an issue. I’ve got way more lead than I will ever use. Primers and powder… that’s a different story but those will be used regardless of the projectile weight.
    I didn’t see any 400gr molds on noe’s website and that’s really what I was looking for.

Vendor Sponsor

This is a powder coat bullet and I assume that is how you intend to use it.
    As far as advising you on design and weight, your goals for its use are not clear. As said above, for just making holes in paper, it is a lot of bullet. Rifle and twist would be interesting in the discussion too.

I have 45-70 bullet molds from 330 grain to 580grains, all for different types of need.

(our posts crossed) 400grns is a good all round weight.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    No experience with NOE molds, but here are some Lyman & MP molds that I use. 385 grain-500 grain + powder coat. Having the option of casting hollow points sure adds to the variety.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20240525_110004871~2.jpg   IMG_20240525_110023924~2.jpg   IMG_20240525_110302998~2.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    I use the NOE 460-378 GC, similar to the currently cataloged 460-393 GC, which casts at about 400 grains with my bhn9 range lead. I’ve been happy with it but only shoot low power loads out to 150 yards, can’t see the target with open sights past that.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_ANTIDOTE View Post
    No experience with NOE molds, but here are some Lyman & MP molds that I use. 385 grain-500 grain + powder coat. Having the option of casting hollow points sure adds to the variety.
    Looks great

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master

NOE Moulds can get habit forming very quickly ...
    They are well made , works of art and sweet casting moulds ...
    I got addicted after buying my first one ... a 4 cavity 358-124-TC GC ...aluminum .
    I use that one boolit to load 38 Special , 357 Magnum , 9mm Luger and 38 Super .
    Al has some very good designs and a lot of discontinued Lyman designs .
    Try one ... but be careful ... they is habit forming !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

In my opinion, and it's just MY opinion, a 405 grain, hard cast, flat point lead bullet with an appropriate charge behind it out of a .45-70 Government rifle is about all you need for life's everyday situations. Granted, special needs require special solutions, i.e.the 500 grain. But do the special situations come along often enough to justify that much lead being tied up in however many of those loads?

Boolit Mold
    I cast the traditional 450gr minnie ball for my 50-70 Govt rifle. It's what the rifle was designed for and it works well. There's nothing special about casting a large bullet but, yes it does use up a lot of lead. I use a Lee mold and it works. Order the NOE for that extra level of quality.
    Matt (casting, reloading for my trapdoor. Always looking for what I can make myself instead of buying)