Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: Lyman Mold Question

Boolit Mold

Lyman Mold Question

Hello All

I’m new here, thanks for having me.

I found a Lyman mold in my Dad’s stuff that I can’t identify what the heck it is. It is marked LYMAN 813 that’s it.

Any light shed would be awesome.

Thanks,

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails View recent photos Small.jpeg   View recent photos 2 Small.jpeg  

Wow, that's interesting! Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing. 813 would be the block numbers. I'd guess it to be some sort of ballast weight for something like a model boat or duck decoy.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Mold
    Hey Bazoo that’s an interesting theory, because it doesn’t look like a bullet per se. I didn’t show in the pictures, but it has the standard wood handles.

Boolit Master
    How about a shop made plug gauge for the early small wood handles?

Boolit Grand Master

At one time Lyman sold completed block with no cavities cut. The cavity looks homemade. The lack of concentricity on the largest diameter is interesting. Was it by design?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Couple things caught my eye here. the "blind" end on the small dia appears to be a drill point. The venting is a different pattern from whats normally seen. What im thinking is the small diameter is cut off and its a spindle lock for a machine or Pad that was used in 2 or 3 as a rest.

Out of curiosity what did your Dad do as a job? Might shed some light on it.

Boolit Buddy
    Does this mold have a sprue plate or anyway to attach one? The casting hole where you pour the lead seems way off.

Some very intersting theories here. The vent lines look normal to me for a 4 cavity mould.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Moderator Emeritus

I see redneck drilling, I should know, I am a redneck machiner, I wouldn't dare call myself a machinist, LOL.
    So, if I got my grubby hands on a set of blank blocks, and I was wanting to drill a cavity to cast a soft lead plug to swage into a rifle chamber and throat, That's about what I'd think it'd look like after I was done with it. What's the approximate diameter of the smallest drilled area? Is it around 0.270" or so? Maybe he had a old foreign 6.5mm rifle and wanted to measure the chamber?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Interesting idea, but I’m clueless

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    How about a shop made plug gauge for the early small wood handles?

Boolit Mold
    I’m not sure what the purpose is.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    At one time Lyman sold completed block with no cavities cut. The cavity looks homemade. The lack of concentricity on the largest diameter is interesting. Was it by design?

Boolit Mold
    I’ll put it back together and upload some more pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Does this mold have a sprue plate or anyway to attach one? The casting hole where you pour the lead seems way off.

Boolit Mold
    Dad was a machinist at RJ Reynolds, but he bought a bunch of stuff from a widow once and this was included, that was over 40+ years ago. The guy was a reloader and had a lot of stuff like .218 bee brass etc.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Couple things caught my eye here. the "blind" end on the small dia appears to be a drill point. The venting is a different pattern from whats normally seen. What im thinking is the small diameter is cut off and its a spindle lock for a machine or Pad that was used in 2 or 3 as a rest.

Out of curiosity what did your Dad do as a job? Might shed some light on it.

Boolit Mold
    The guy Dad got the stuff from did have a lot odd ball brass, so that might be the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I see redneck drilling, I should know, I am a redneck machiner, I wouldn't dare call myself a machinist, LOL.
    So, if I got my grubby hands on a set of blank blocks, and I was wanting to drill a cavity to cast a soft lead plug to swage into a rifle chamber and throat, That's about what I'd think it'd look like after I was done with it. What's the approximate diameter of the smallest drilled area? Is it around 0.270" or so? Maybe he had a old foreign 6.5mm rifle and wanted to measure the chamber?

Boolit Mold
    Here are some more pictures

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4944 Small.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	326933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4945 Small.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	326934

Boolit Mold
    Just did some rough measurements looks like the narrow end is .218 the next step down is .350 and the butt end is .370. SobIbthink Jon B got it, it might be a camber plug for a .218 Bee

Perhaps a various diameter chamber plug for filling the bore with solvent?

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Mold
    Possibly, but how many would you need to dedicate a mold to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Perhaps a various diameter chamber plug for filling the bore with solvent?

Boolit Master
    And a cork would work just as well. I think it has something to do with the bores no idea what.

The 2 largest sections of the hole seem to have a seamless transition on the bottom, and a pronounced step on the top. I bet that is intentional, as it's too clean to be a happy accident of sloppy drilling.

Why don't ya cast a few and see what they look like and take some pictures. That might help ID it.

Lead Alloy Calculator