WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee case gauge problem

Lee case gauge problem

I purchased several Lee precision case gauge's and a few 8-32 threaded cutters from titan reloading last week. I had only used the 1 for .223 so far. This evening I decided to load up some 450 bushmaster and I got the New 450 case gauge out and threaded it on to the cutter went to slide a piece of brass on it and it stops and will not go down around the gauge. I grab a different piece of brass and the same thing. I take it off my prep station. Take the calibers and measure it and it measures .447 so it's way over the inside measurement of my case's .443.5 to .444.5 All of my 450 Brass has been resized with a Brand New set of Lee dies from titan also.. I know this isn't titan's fault it's Lee's precision someone in QC has dropped the ball..

Any insight would be great..

God Bless

JDAS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0523242042~2.jpg  
    Last edited by Jadkins87; 05-23-2024 at 08:49 PM.

Boolit Master

Not familiar with Lee products, but was under the impression cases were trimmed before sizing. GW

I found a fired case and it won't fit either..

God Bless

JDAS

I have never trimmed pistol calibers, but I always length trim rifle brass after sizing due to the fact that they usually stretch.

Sam Sackett

Ok guys I just found this on Lee's support page..
    https://support.leeprecision.net/en/...-length-gauges

It says to take 320 grit or finer and run it in a drill to take the OD down a thousand.

God Bless

JDAS

Boolit Master

I ran into the same problem with a 8x57mm mauser Lee trimmer a few years ago. Neither sized nor un-sized case would go into the case mouth. I chucked it up in a hand drill and using 600 grit sand paper onto ice cream sticks I polished it slowly and kept measuring until it fit. I have quite using the Lee trimmers because I trim using a hand drill clamped onto the bench and I have found that the pin that goes into the primer flash hole wears when used like that and you can end up with cases being too short. Lee stuff is pretty good but there is an occasional problem that needs to be address. It may not always be the best equipment on the market but it is serviceable and cheaper than most. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Grand Master

I have made up several lee cutters for friends like this. I mount the case holder in a block and then the cutter case gauge can be mounted in the spindle of a drill press.

A piece of 1/2 X 3 X 3 flat stock. drill this in the center to hold the case holders stud. A round hole with a set screw will hold the hex shaft very good with a simple set screw.
    Drill and tap a set screw hole to the center hole.
    This can be left sitting on the table or clamped down.
    the cutter case pilot gauge is mounted in the chuck.
    The benefit to this is it is powered and held in alignment during use. The other is the drill press stop can be used in addition to the case gauge.
    A small bench top drill press works well for this.

Boolit Master
    Lee makes two different sized cutters; which one do you have? Sounds like you have the large one; I just recently bought one for use with the .480 Ruger, which is too large in diameter for the standard cutter.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Here is a tip to make these cutters a bit more enjoyable and no cramp of the hands. If you have a 3D printer or have a library nearby to make these, I would highly recommend trying these out.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3643210
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not familiar with this tool but it looks interesting. Is the cutter adjustable or cuts at a fixed length? Maybe invest in a Sinclair chamber length gauge to find what your chamber length is. Maybe .447" will work for your gun's chamber.

Boolit Master

BJung, give me a couple of minutes and I will put up a picture of the Lee trimmer in 30--06. It is not adjustable, trim length is set at the factory by Lee. I use a hand drill clamped to my bench to trim, makes it easier on the hands. james

Sorry, the system will not allow me to upload pictures for some reason
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 05-24-2024 at 10:46 AM.

I have a few of these and they all require the brass to be decapped -but not sized -to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk