Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Glenfield Model 50

Glenfield Model 50

I recently came into the above shotgun. It had been kept in a shed for quite a while. There was a lot of surface rust with a little pitting going on. I paid nothing for this gun, so whatever I do will be the only cost. Also, it did not have the magazine. For those not familiar with it think the Marlin Goose Gun.

Now for the problem. I cleaned it up as best I could. Got all the rust off the surface and cleaned the bolt and rest of the action as best I could. When I took it to the range to test it, the shells would not extract. When I got home, I removed the extractor and cleaned it and the bolt again. The extractor appears to be in good shape. I also cleaned out the little holes to the side of the chamber where the extractor rest. Using the shells I had fired at the range I still cannot get them to extract.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master
    Chamber smooth i.e. not pitted?
    Extractor hook(s) sharp, squared not rounded? I'm not sure if that model has one or two extractors.

Robert

Check the chamber for rust. Clean it out well.
    Not uncommon on old barn guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

If the extractors are pulling over the rim Id check the holes for them and replace the springs

The extractor is the type that saddles the bolt. See picture below. One side is sharp for pulling the shell out and the other side that faces the inside of the chamber is rounded to release the shell. I have cleaned out both sides of the chamber area where the extractor rest when closed. I just got some valve grinding paste to use on the chamber and will try that this weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extractor.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	326924
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I use a section of shotgun cleaning rod with a 12 ga bronze or steel brush wrapped in course steel wool. Chuck the cleaning rod in a cordless drill and have at it. On your bolt action shotgun, you may have to tie the trigger back to keep the bolt stop out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried yesterday for about an hour to polish the chamber. I used valve grinding compound and snug fitting cloth. I also used 100% copper Chor-boy scrubbing pad wrapped around cloth. No joy in Mudville. I can't tell for sure, but it feels as though it is sticking at the brass section of the shell.

I have some 2000 grit emery cloth I am thinking about using.

The extractor seems to be gripping the shell to the point I actually have to smack the bolt a couple of times to get it open.

I really don't want to buy another extractor since all I can find are used.