Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want/need a thermal scope as coyotes are getting bold

Boolit Master

Want/need a thermal scope as coyotes are getting bold

I live in the outer suburbs of Indianapolis and raise horses. The coyotes are after my young foals, one was attack and not killed but not saleable at the price offered. Most shoots will be 50 yards or less so with pole lighting around the barn the old first gen Russian I have does not work. Need some recommendations that don't run $8000 or even over $3000 that you use. Day light they stay away from the barn most days but have got 3 young ones using a .22 Ruger 10-22, a 1903 Colt hammerless .32 ACP, and an STI 6" in 10mm. All 3 were just an opitunity kill.

https://www.agmglobalvision.com/ther...tler-v2-19-256
    These work good but rather large for a pistol. Would be good for the 10/22.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    https://www.agmglobalvision.com/ther...tler-v2-19-256
    These work good but rather large for a pistol. Would be good for the 10/22.
    Nice!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    I live in the outer suburbs of Indianapolis and raise horses. The coyotes are after my young foals, one was attack and not killed but not saleable at the price offered. Most shoots will be 50 yards or less so with pole lighting around the barn the old first gen Russian I have does not work. Need some recommendations that don't run $8000 or even over $3000 that you use. Day light they stay away from the barn most days but have got 3 young ones using a .22 Ruger 10-22, a 1903 Colt hammerless .32 ACP, and an STI 6" in 10mm. All 3 were just an opitunity kill.
    Warren,

With a 50-yard Ground Zero , I suggest a 12 gauge and #4 Buckshot. Tuck the horses in and wait patiently. I control all problem critters on my 60 acres in the nighttime and have no critter complaints. LOL.

Be well.

Adam

Boolit Master

Leg traps are a whole lot cheaper.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Can't use leg traps as have visitors I don't want caught. Gildings are given free egress as I don't like to stall unless it is needed. I very seldom have breathing problems with any of my horses, do to not putting up at night or all the time.

Boolit Master
    Cheap and thermal do not go in the same sentence and thermal is the real tool.

I rather lucked out in finding a very careful trust worthy hunter with a ton of dough invested in night coyote hunting and he keeps our coyote population fairly in check. Does not charge a dime either.

Maybe you can find some like that in your area?

You might try the forum called Predator Masters?

Good luck

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Moderator Emeritus

With a hog sniper IR, you can get out to almost 400 yards with the Sightmark 4-32x50.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Sightmark Wraith Thermal last year for about $2K and like it. I don't have any shots past about 125 yards so I don't need something that a professional hunter might use. It's nice and clear at night (or even daytime - it doesn't care about anything except temperature variations). It's easy to identify animal types and you will see a lot more than with a white light, especially predators. I started with a standard Sightmark night vision scope with an illuminator but the the thermal is a huge improvement. I have mine mounted on a Mossberg MMR in 5.56 and have no regrets spending the money for a thermal.

Boolit Buddy
    I do not have a thermal but I do have the sightmark wraith as mentioned above and it works well. I did upgrade the IR to a HOG sniper unit and that made it even better. You do you but it is a much less costly alternative that does work.

The key for using the sightmark wraith and getting maximum light, either using the factory IR or Hog sniper light, is get it as far to the front of the gun.

Boolit Master
    Lets make sure we separate the thermals from the night light scopes. I run and did loads of testing on the sightmark wraith Thermal. It is a middle of the road for budget pricing. One thing to note when looking at it if you are going to use it on a bolt action or airgun you will need a set back mount. On any type of AR platform it does not need this mount. The sightmark is a 35 by 384x288. The first one suggested is only a 19x256. I had one and it works well but its night and day in definition. If I was in the market I would look at the clip on models. You can use your current set up and just add the thermal when wanted. Currently the 384 is the standard with the 640 being considered the high end at the moment.

This is a great sight. The blueberry farmer next to me bought one and I helped him set it up. No bs I can hit a dime over and over again at 100 yrds with it. https://www.agmglobalvision.com/ther...adder-ts50-640

This is a great price for a middle of the road thermal. Better than the sightmark with more options but a bit bulker and does come with the setback mount. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TCL5RSP...9kZXRhaWw&th=1

AGM makes a good clip on. The AGM's have a great option. You can link them to your cell phone or tablet to view in real time what the scope is seeing. I used to set the gun on a tripod looking out at the target area and the wife and I would be watching a movie with the tablet next to us. We would see all sorts or critters come in in pitch black conditions. She could not believe all the mice we saw and was happy when the predators would get shot as she raises chickens. This function is also great as you do not have to move video from on device to the other to show your buddies. You just record on the phone/tablet.

I will try to post a pic of a 384 from the sightmark. Oh another thing you can not get rid of that sightmark logo in the corner no mater how hard you try. I hate it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIMA0135.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	326925 this is about 65 yrds out on 2 power.

Name:	wife with flashlight 839pm.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	326926 pitch black with wife holding a flashlight at 45 yrds in winter.

The sightmark wraith mini 4k is no the same as the sightmark wraith mini thermal. You need no light what so ever with a thermal. Heck I can see the bark lines on the trees with thermal in pitch black. If you are still deciding on what to do I might even sell my sightmark to upgrade to a clip on.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    I was able to find one picture from the 256 agm rattler. Here it is. Notice it is not as crisp. Also notice the Picture in picture, one picture can be on a higher power zoom so you can get a better field of view. Sightmark can not do picture in picture like the agm but it is half the size and weight.

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	326927 once again pitch black with a flashlight.

Boolit Master
    Did I kill the thread?

I'm not saying much but sure learning a lot. It's amazing that a $4K riflescope is starting to look reasonable.

Boolit Master
    I keep checking but like what I hear about AMG

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Did I kill the thread?
    No. I'm sure folks found your post very educating also.

Boolit Master
    I should add this one fact. No mater what the image or video you see on your computer or tv it is so much better in the scope. This goes for all digital scopes. The data is compressed so many times in the uploading and storing that it looses some of the crispness.

Fun story I will share. My buddy has an outdoor wood boiler piped to four outbuildings. He developed a leak so I went over to his house with just the scope and looked on the ground. Found the leak as it was loads hotter than the other ground around it. We dug it up and fixed it saved him tons of time searching and digging. You can not hide from thermal well you can but its a task all in its own.