RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Midway USA Remote Location Surcharges

Boolit Master
    I stopped buying from Midway due to overcharges on shipping 20 years ago. Once they stopped including shipping in the price and went to 'fair and honest shipping' it started going downhill on shipping costs fast.

If you want more for a product, state is thusly and don't try to make it up on shipping, JMHO.

I was never upset about midway's shipping. But getting a couple orders of items that someone had returned and being resold as new again, really chapped my hide.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    I don't blame the OP for avoiding Midway due to those remote shipping costs but since they don't apply to me I still consider Midway a potential source for all things reloading. My main beef with them is their poor packaging for heavy items. It seems as if they have 6 year old kids packing some of those boxes with a heavy item flopping around in a big oversize box with just a couple of their green shipping "pillows" to take up space. The box arrives all busted, ripped, etc. and may or may not contain all the products I ordered.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    For high price items like optics, chronos, etc., I always check Amazon. Don’t know if their free shipping option goes to remote Alaska.
    Lots of counterfeits on Amazon...

I used to do a lot of business with Uncle Larry, but yeah, lately they've been losing their luster for me as well. Prices are a lot higher, stuff is all just randomly thrown in a box with minimal padding like it was packed by a chimp on meth, if something goes missing in transit or shows up busted, they do their best to make it your problem. Just overall not the experience it used to be.

The Xero, though...That thing is awesome! Kinda makes me wish I had waited a couple more years on buying a Lab Radar.

I completely understand doing business else where with shipping costs like that.

I still shop at Midway since they're only about 20 minutes away. I just pickup to avoid shipping cost and get what I need when I need it. They usually have my pickup order ready within an hour, after placing the online order.
    My complaint with Midway, you really need to check current pricing, Midway seems to jockey prices quite often.
    I was going to order a tumbler, the week before it was 171.00. The next week they had that same tumbler, but selling blemished? at 189.99?
    I ordered from Natchez for 159.99, and got great fair shipping service.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Put a box of ammunition in your order. The USPS won’t touch it. Then all that nonsense goes away.
    I wonder weather the USPO knew what was in the box. I ordered 22lr ammo from midway a few years ago I was shipped UPS. The package was then dropped off at my local post office who then delivered it the next day.

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    I wonder weather the USPO knew what was in the box. I ordered 22lr ammo from midway a few years ago I was shipped UPS. The package was then dropped off at my local post office who then delivered it the next day.
    Then that probably was a mistake from MidwayUSA.

The issue is that they are using a multi shipper system. Ups or fedex first and final local by usps. I'd bet there are hidden exceptions whereby UsPs can receive from a different shipper and deliver to final destination even if it contains ammo. But using this system usually doubles shipping times and increases damages at no savings to the customer.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by muskeg13 View Post
    After 38 years as a Midway customer, I'm done. Midway USA's remote location surcharges are a complete scam. Yes, they ship through USPS to my USPS post office box in Alaska. First I pay postage for priority shipping to my zip code, which is fine, but that should be the end of the shipping charges. Once my package leaves Midway's control it is handled by USPS. The USPS doesn't tack on surcharges above the postage rate to deliver my mail to the USPS box I pay several hundred $ to rent every year. Midway's remote location surcharges should be illegal. Midway customer service sent me a feeble email excuse that "their" shipping carrier tacks on these additional fees and it's beyond Midway's control. That's total BS! The fancy new "Nitro" shipping system is Midway's own system.

There is no excuse, particularly when USPS flat rate postage pricing is the same throughout the entire USA.

I'll let you know how the new chronograph works. It will replace my 30+ yo CHRONY Gamma that I bought from Midway.
    Not sure that the add on charges from the delivering carrier are BS. USPS doesn’t tack on fees for retail delivery, but they very well could for wholesale customers.

Boolit Master
    I'm another who has kinda given up on Midway. Places like Graf's, Powder Valley, Titan, Brownell's, etc do well for me.

USPS has gone to hell since the new postmaster was put in place during the last administration (and COVID). It had problems before that but the wholesale upset of the personnel structure screwed everything up.

Back when we had our own business I shipped only through USPS. Best rates, most reliable ship times and the fewest damaged packages. Now days all of the shippers have problems. Interesting that most of the 'least cost' shipments are sent via FedEx or UPS and they transfer the packages to USPS for final delivery. Adds a bunch of time just so more people can make a profit.

I will say the first time I met Larry Potterfield was 1981, he had a very small gun shop at Midway,MO. and in the back area he had a bunch of white and blue boxes that said Midway.
    In that very small gun shop is where he started MidwayUSA in 1977, the man has created an empire, everything he ventures into turns to gold?
    He was fresh out of the USAF when he opened his very little gun shop in Midway, MO.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
    I will say the first time I met Larry Potterfield was 1981, he had a very small gun shop at Midway,MO. and in the back area he had a bunch of white and blue boxes that said Midway.
    In that very small gun shop is where he started MidwayUSA in 1977, the man has created an empire, everything he ventures into turns to gold?
    He was fresh out of the USAF when he opened his very little gun shop in Midway, MO.
    Yep, I remember when I called Midway, Larry answered the phone and took my order.
    Bought 1000 38 special once fired nickel cases.
    The box came with straw/hay for packing...

Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    It's been so long since I ordered from Midway , I can't remember when I stopped . I have browsed their selection from time to time but the surprises have stopped me .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I remember hearing a postal worker compaing about "doing UPS's job and delevering their packages." If it wasn't for ups, amazon, and junk mail, they wouldn't have a job

Boolit Grand Master
    I was a dedicated Midway shopper, but as they offered more "stuff," (sleeping bags, hunting clothes, socks, shoes, fishing gear, camping supplies, etc, etc) it seemed as though the shooting stuff got more and more costly, while "out of stock" notices became more and more common. Nowadays, if it is not on sale, I don"t buy from them. Most of my brass comes from Grafs, and most other things I get either from Amazon, Ebay, Midsouth or "other." The search engine is my friend.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m the outlier on this one. Here are some of the positives:

- Every 30 to 45 days Midway has free shipping on orders over $x (currently today they have one running that has free shipping on orders over $99).

- After placing an order I receive e mail notice that it’s in process and most always I receive notice that it’s been packaged and a shipping label has been run within 4 hours. If you need to change anything on the order you have to move quick because their turnaround time between receiving an order and packaging is incredible .

- Their birthday discounts are now a tradition for me. I throw things in the “save for later” list and filter out the wishes from the needs when my birthday comes about and they give a great discount the week or so before your birthday.wouldn’t miss it.

- Delivery is typically 2 to 4 days since I live in the Midwest.

For “Remote Locations” customers stick to Amazon & make Bezos richer. I ran a vintage bike parts business for 10 years and I choked every time I had to charge my customers an arm & a leg when shipping to Alaska and Hawaii. Bill C

Boolit Master
    lying larry does it again.....

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    I doubt Larry is even with the company anymore. Last I read their family soldout.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Buddy
    Just curious. What were you referencing with that comment? Thanks, Bill C.
    Last edited by Wm Cook; 05-30-2024 at 01:14 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Midway was always my first choice as far back as the 90's. Then I discovered Natchez. I always felt the prices were better. Also had some good experiences with Graf & Sons too.