Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Batter fried common carp...I know!!!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Are bigger than common carp. They are grey on the outside vs gold on the common. Buffalo meat is white and not oily vs common carp meat is mostly dark read and super oily. Night and day difference. Grass carp I’ve only caught on or two in my lifetime and tossed them back so I couldn’t tell you. They are all different. I’d like to get my hsbe a on soome Asian and big head carp. I believe their meat is similar to Buffalo.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    It's my understanding they are basically the same fish.
    Nope, Buffalo and carp are very different

Buffalo

Common carp

Carp have a down turned mouth for bottom feeding, buffalo eat a lot of live bait and not off the bottom. I have caught buffalo on large minnows while catfishing! Carp also have whiskers that buffalo lack. Buffalo have a large eye in line with the mouth.
    Last edited by MaryB; 05-22-2024 at 11:30 AM.

Boolit Master
    I was answering about grass carp vs asian carp.

Yes buffalo fish and common carp are very different. Common carp can be caught on hook and line, but are the lowest on my list of eating off the three.

The big one is a Buffalo. Also the the first and third one in the canoe is a Buffalo as well.

Boolit Master
    Buffalo fish ribs are sold in the grocery and meat market here.

Turkey season got over last Tuesday and I’m finally winding down getting my chores all taken care of I put off for the last month and a half….lol. I noticed the carp stuck around and they’ve been spawning on and off, which is super weird since they normally only go for a few days and they’re done each year. The last week I’ve seen them up, sucking on grass in the middle of the river here so I decided to go down on the dock and give it a whirl this morning with the bow and arrow instead of the spear. I was a little rusty since they’re all pretty deep and I keep shooting over them after the fifth time a giant came underneath the dock and I connected with it. It had to been 35 pounds or more and splashed on top of the water down into the duck weeded and ripped the arrow out!!! Darn it! Looks like they settled down after that fiasco. I’ll have to go later and try again after they settle down and come back either that or I’m gonna try and make some homemade dough balls and try and float them on top of the water by the duck weed where they come out and are sucking. All I can say is I’ll make sure to have on a strong hook and at least 30 pound braid or I’m not gonna get them out of that rotten duck weed.

I just switched out bow and arrows last night in zeroed in bow number two. It’s a 1978 bear whitetail hunter with four wheels I bought from the thrift store last year for $9.99. I put a new string on it just to be on the safe side and because I accidentally cut a strand or two when I was putting a knocking point on it. I also used a different arrow with alot sharper muzzy style tip. Think it only has a 30% let off or less and around 55 or 65 pounds? All I know is it’s a real treat to pull it back…..lol. I think my recurves and 55 pounds are easier to pull and hold. Had a windstorm last night and it’s blowing pretty good right now. I didn’t expect to see any carp working with the ripples on the water, but there was one coming up and sucking on moss bright and early this morning about 15 yards from the dock I couldn’t see it even with my Polaroid glasses on because the sun wasn’t up yet and it was under some shade tree, after about 10 minutes it finally worked its way over to about 12 yards or a little bit further after the third drawing I could see it back. It was with a buddy. Needless to say, buddy is pretty lonely now. lol. First shot blew right through it! Tied up to a string to the dock I’ll go down and clean it later, but I’m waiting for the sun to come up so I can see in the water to see if there’s any more down there, but I highly doubt it because the wind just picked up and normally it seems to spook the carp when it’s not cold water. I’ll Post a picture later when I go down to clean it.

Was hoping I’d get lucky and it would be a buffalo, but I think they are long gone. I could see the little orange colored mouth coming out of the water sucking moss so I already knew it was a common carp before I let my arrow fly.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-06-2024 at 10:31 AM.

Just cut it up for frying and soaking in salt water for a little bit before a 24 hour soak in salt and seasoning. The bow string is 39” if you want to gauge it by size. It was Pee Pee compared to the one that ripped out twice in the last two days. I would day the one l lost was twice its size.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-06-2024 at 03:48 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Just cut it up for frying and soaking in salt water for a little bit before a 24 hour soak in salt and seasoning. The bow string is 39” if you want to gauge it by size. It was Pee Pee compared to the one that ripped out twice in the last two days. I would day the one l lost was twice its size.

So much fun to catch on a rod... and they are known for destroying drag clutches in reels and breaking rods!

I made some dough balls and casted them out yesterday. They had zero interest in eating them with all the spawning and chasing going on. I figured after watching them coming up and sucking algae that they might take interest in eating a peanut butter dough balls I had suspended on a bobber a few inches from the surface, but apparently not.

I batter fried up the carp after season in salt water and fish seasoning in a zip loc bag over night. I left sone pieces in my daddy frier for a good 15 plus minutes just to see how much I would over cook them and to see if I could really cook out the bones. It worked!! No bones! They all cooked out! I used shore lunch beer batter and mixed it with corn starch. It tasted EXACTLY like Popeye’s chicken!

Man it was good!!!

Boolit Bub
    Mom would pressure can carp then make patties out of them, like salmon croquettes. I still do a few every year and prefer over salmon.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I made some dough balls and casted them out yesterday. They had zero interest in eating them with all the spawning and chasing going on. I figured after watching them coming up and sucking algae that they might take interest in eating a peanut butter dough balls I had suspended on a bobber a few inches from the surface, but apparently not.

Try a small hook same size as the single kernal of corn your gonna put on it. They will suck it down and the fight is on.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

The water went up four feet about a day after I shot that last carp and they shut off. Must be done spawning for the year finally.

I grew up on the banks of the Mississippi in Wisconsin right below Lock and Dam #9. I knew an old man who cold smoked carp slabs. You could bring him carp and he'd smoke it for 50% of the yield. His first step was to wash the carp with a stiff brush in dish soap and rinse it in cold water. Then he would cut them behind the gills and remove the head. Then the top fins were removed as part of the slabbing process. The rest of the fins were removed. The skin with the scales attached was left on the slab. He then made a 50/50 mix of salt and brown sugar and rubbed it all over the meat side of the slab. These would go in the refrigerator until the following day. He had an old steel lined refrigerator that he used as a smoker with an adjustable door on the top to retain smoke and heat. This old fridge sat on a bank in his yard. An underground culvert tube was buried in the bank about 2 feet lower than the bottom of the fridge and about 10 feet long that connected to a 2'x 2' fire box. The fire was built in the box and the fish were smoked at a low temperature for about 12 hours. Very, very good on crackers accompanied by a cold Hamm's Beer.
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Rockydog View Post
    I grew up on the banks of the Mississippi in Wisconsin right below Lock and Dam #9. I knew an old man who cold smoked carp slabs. You could bring him carp and he'd smoke it for 50% of the yield. His first step was to wash the carp with a stiff brush in dish soap and rinse it in cold water. Then he would cut them behind the gills and remove the head. Then the top fins were removed as part of the slabbing process. The rest of the fins were removed. The skin with the scales attached was left on the slab. He then made a 50/50 mix of salt and brown sugar and rubbed it all over the meat side of the slab. These would go in the refrigerator until the following day. He had an old steel lined refrigerator that he used as a smoker with an adjustable door on the top to retain smoke and heat. This old fridge sat on a bank in his yard. An underground culvert tube was buried in the bank about 2 feet lower than the bottom of the fridge and about 10 feet long that connected to a 2'x 2' fire box. The fire was built in the box and the fish were smoked at a low temperature for about 12 hours. Very, very good on crackers accompanied by a cold Hamm's Beer.
    I’m two locks below that. Used to go to the place that smoked carp by Huntington’s when I was a kid in Genoa. I used to sell my turtles there too.