Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: X-Terminator and 2200 the same?

Boolit Mold

X-Terminator and 2200 the same?

Google has failed me as it gives me conflicting information and some say yes they're the same while others say they're not the same.

Can anybody point me in the right direction as to whether these two powders are interchangeable? I'm currently using X-Terminator for .458 Socom and 45-70. Just wondering if I can broaden my load spectrum with X-Terminator as 2200 has proven quite difficult to find locally.

Boolit Master

No, very different powders.

X-Terminator and Accurate 2230 are the same, but there is also a 2230S I think, which is different. Here you go, this should help you.

https://hodgdonpowderco.com/wp-conte...e8.0_WEB-1.pdf
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Mold
    That is extremely helpful as now it appears I can look for some RL7 in place of 2200 �� I have seen RL7 locally.

Thank you!

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Hold up.

What’s all this talk about powders with different names being “the same”?

Are we talking about the same powder put in different brand containers? Like Lovex and Shooters World?

Boolit Master

Yes, same powder in different containers, not to be confused with powders of similar burn rates.

Boolit Buddy
    There are also different version of 2200. When it first came out it was Data powder 2200 and went for about $10 a pound shipped. They had two versions of the surplus powder the fast and slow and the data sheet and loads were different. They reintroduced it so if it is in a commercial package use the current data. If it is surplus and in a plain white jug with a small sticker start low work up slow.

It is some good powder though.

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!

Boolit Master
    They are not the same based on a Quickload run

Code:
    Cartridge          : .45-70 Govt. SAAMI
    Bullet             : .458, 300, Speer JHP 2482
    Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.550 inch = 64.77 mm
    Barrel Length      : 12.0 inch = 304.8 mm

C A U T I O N : any load listed can result in a powder charge that falls below minimum suggested
    loads or exceeds maximum suggested loads as presented in current handloading manuals. Understand
    that all of the listed powders can be unsuitable for the given combination of cartridge, bullet
    and gun. Actual load order can vary, depending upon lot-to-lot powder and component variations.
    USE ONLY FOR COMPARISON !

Powder type          Filling/Loading Ratio  Charge    Charge   Vel. Prop.Burnt P max  P muzz  B_Time
                                          %     Grains    Gramm   fps     %       psi     psi    ms
    ---------------------------------  -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ramshot X-Terminator *C             86.0     53.5     3.47    1575    66.3    24500    6418   1.031  ! Near Maximum !
    Accurate 2200                       88.3     52.2     3.38    1566    63.5    24500    6261   1.026  ! Near Maximum !
    Last edited by P Flados; 05-22-2024 at 08:00 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Hold up.

What’s all this talk about powders with different names being “the same”?

Are we talking about the same powder put in different brand containers? Like Lovex and Shooters World?
    Precisely, several companies do this. Ramshot Powders is just a subsidiary of Western Powders selling the same powders under different names.

That post is a good thread. Thanks for reposting, though I have see it before.

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    They are not the same based on a Quickload run

Code:
    Cartridge          : .45-70 Govt. SAAMI
    Bullet             : .458, 300, Speer JHP 2482
    Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.550 inch = 64.77 mm
    Barrel Length      : 12.0 inch = 304.8 mm

C A U T I O N : any load listed can result in a powder charge that falls below minimum suggested
    loads or exceeds maximum suggested loads as presented in current handloading manuals. Understand
    that all of the listed powders can be unsuitable for the given combination of cartridge, bullet
    and gun. Actual load order can vary, depending upon lot-to-lot powder and component variations.
    USE ONLY FOR COMPARISON !

Powder type          Filling/Loading Ratio  Charge    Charge   Vel. Prop.Burnt P max  P muzz  B_Time
                                          %     Grains    Gramm   fps     %       psi     psi    ms
    ---------------------------------  -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ramshot X-Terminator *C             86.0     53.5     3.47    1575    66.3    24500    6418   1.031  ! Near Maximum !
    Accurate 2200                       88.3     52.2     3.38    1566    63.5    24500    6261   1.026  ! Near Maximum !
    Correct, I pointed out above that 2200 IS NOT THE SAME AS X-TERMINATOR. However, 2230 IS THE SAME AS X-TERMINATOR. Both 2200 and 2230 are similar powders though. In my experience 2230 is the better of the two. Another similar powder is H335, and is great for full power .223/5.56 loads. If you can get your hands on it, WC844 is a non-canister pull-down powder that is VERY SIMILAR to H335, and is perfect for duplicating M855 loads - as it is quite literally the pulled down powder from M855 loads...
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    I questioned X Terminator being the same as 2230. Then I went to the Hodgdon load data tool and ran a 300 gr 45-70 query. The results included the results below. So yes it is the same. It is nice to know as Quickload has the X Terminator but not the 2230.

Code:
    Manufacturer	Powder	C.O.L.		Grs.	Vel. (ft/s)	Pressure		Grs.	Vel. (ft/s)	Pressure		

Accurate	2230	2.510"		40.3	1,710	25,100 PSI		44.8	1,840	27,900 PSI
    Ramshot	X-Terminator	2.510"		40.3	1,710	25,100 PSI		44.8	1,840	27,900 PSI