MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can you download 44 Mag cases to 44 special load data?

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    My answer is ...... almost.

I load my .44 mag brass to about 100 fps faster than .44 spec. levels on light loads and find the cartridge to be very flexible at just about any power level right on up to max. by using different powders and primer types. I have not used Trail Boss in the .44 mag but there is no reason it won't work. I have used it in the .480 Ruger and ..... quite frankly found it boring ...... for the most recoil sensitive ...... it would be a god send most likely.

For my light loading, I like Clays. I use a fair amount of Titegroup at a level a little higher. Then I switch to Unique at Skeeter Skelton levels (8.5 gr. with a .250 gr. cast boolit, where as a 44 special load by him was 7.5 gr. and the same weight boolit) and next up the ladder is my all time favorite ..... HS-6. That powder is better for lead than cranking up Unique from the Skeeter loads.

I round the upper end out with 2400 and H110.

I will probably be trying some Lil'Gun in the near future to see if I am missing a good bet there as it should compete head to head at the upper end.

Viva the great .44 mag.

Three 44s
    @Three44s
    I’d like to hear more about your HS-6 loads please. I just cast some 200 grain and have some HS-6 on the shelf.

Boolit Master
    Barry54,

While I have loaded jacketed and cast in lighter bullet weights powered by HS6, my favorite combo comes from the Hodgdons #26 manual. The load involves a cast 250 gr boolit with a start charge of 10.0 gr and a max of 12.0 gr.

My boolit of choice is the RCBS 250K with 11.8 gr of HS6 and a magnum large pistol primer. In my case I like the Federal 155.

Later manuals list HS6 at heavier charges and higher pressures. I like the older data because it lists pressures that are right in the compressive strength range that Richard Lee professes that is in sync with WW lead (what I use).

In your case you may get good performance with cast 200 gr boolits or you may not, I do not know. In a gas checked boolit you stand a better chance of succeeding and if you powder coat, also improved odds. The reason is that HS6 is not going to be downloaded below what the Hodgdons data I mentioned and get a very good burn.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Barry54,

While I have loaded jacketed and cast in lighter bullet weights powered by HS6, my favorite combo comes from the Hodgdons #26 manual. The load involves a cast 250 gr boolit with a start charge of 10.0 gr and a max of 12.0 gr.

My boolit of choice is the RCBS 250K with 11.8 gr of HS6 and a magnum large pistol primer. In my case I like the Federal 155.

Later manuals list HS6 at heavier charges and higher pressures. I like the older data because it lists pressures that are right in the compressive strength range that Richard Lee professes that is in sync with WW lead (what I use).

In your case you may get good performance with cast 200 gr boolits or you may not, I do not know. In a gas checked boolit you stand a better chance of succeeding and if you powder coat, also improved odds. The reason is that HS6 is not going to be downloaded below what the Hodgdons data I mentioned and get a very good burn.

Three44s
    Interesting you brought up the the compressive strength by Richard Lee. That’s what lead me to looking at 44 special loads in 44 mag brass. Trying to not exceed my soft 25:1 alloy. The Hodgdon data center shows pressure suitable with HS-6 in 44 special. We shall see. TiteGroup wasn’t my first choice, but it could be a contender.

Boolit Master
    I have burned pounds of H110 it's fun

before I found out about SEE (here) I was trying 20 gr H110 240 gr jwords
    I had unburned powder left in the brass

Good Lord smiled, the unburned powder did not burn later

I have made up Unique and Clays loads that go <bang>
    but what is the point? 22.5gr H110 250 gr Keith boolit at 100 yards goes bang and flies straight
    but not hurtful, it's what a 44 mag is supposed to do.

Same 20 gr! H110 320 gr boolit is a handful and has made enough pressure to burn it all. BANG!
    That's why there's a book, and this forum.
    Search here about SEE, fascinating subject...

Boolit Master
    While I know SEE, or something similar, happens in Rifle Rounds...I would certainly like a Documented Example with either H110, or W296 in a Handgun, especially with Cast Boolits!! Not Barrel Obstruction ...

I recently obtained a 429360 which dropped a SWC at 232Gr. Powder coated and sized to .430" I loaded them up with Unique at 7.0gr (Magnum range is 9.5-12.7gr) I seated them a little long at 1.650". This has become one of my favorite light loads in my Ruger RH. (not Super) 5.5" barrel. I also have the 250gr Keith boolit (it drops at 252gr)...but I load it up at 11gr of Unique....its quite a bit stiffer....I also seat it a bit longer than spec out at 1.680" It's accurate but to be able to shoot longer (due to recoil on these 60+ yo hands)...so I'm preferring the lighter 232gr and that's what I keep going back to.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by huntersdog View Post
    Instead of buying 44 special brass, can I download 44 Mag to 44 special loads? Or it it be dangerous? Thanks
    ...not only is it not dangerous, but for plinking it is certainly less stressful for revolver and shooter - the point is to use powders that safely allow this_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The .44 Magnum and .44-40 have almost identical powder capacity. There is no issue using .44-40 data to assemble reduced power .44 Magnum ammo. A charge of 6-7 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup works well with the .430" diameter Hornady 200-grain XTP. With 240 grain bullets load 16 grains of #2400 or 20 grains of 4227.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have found unburned H110 in sub starting load cases.
    Haven't tried that again, was warned here, too soon old too late smart...
    If and it's an if, the boolit jumps and the rest of the H110 burns,
    you are betting your fingers on a SuperRedHawk.

For all I know, I did this and the Ruger failed to split.
    Some of the brass looked overpressure, no unburned powder but was a sub starting load.
    Went bang kinda oddly too: fubang, not kabang like H110 barks
    Kids, don't try this at home...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The .44 Magnum and .44-40 have almost identical powder capacity. There is no issue using .44-40 data to assemble reduced power .44 Magnum ammo. A charge of 6-7 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup works well with the .430" diameter Hornady 200-grain XTP. With 240 grain bullets load 16 grains of #2400 or 20 grains of 4227.
    How Very Sensible!!!

Boolit Master
    The NOE 432-226-WC seated to the crimp grove in a 44 Mag case gives you the same "boiler room" as the Lyman 432421 loaded to the crimp grove in a 44 Spl case. For me, the NOE WC over 5 ~ 6 gr. of Promo/Red Dot in a 44 Mag case is super accurate and pleasant to shoot.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    How Very Sensible!!!
    AND these have been pressure tested not to exceed 20,000 psi. While exceeding SAAMI MAP for .44-40 these are well within safe design limits for heat treated post-1920 Colt New Service, Winchester 1892 and modern Italian clones proofed to CIP.

Again. NO ISSUE WHATEVER in any .44 Magnum.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    AND these have been pressure tested not to exceed 20,000 psi. While exceeding SAAMI MAP for .44-40 these are well within safe design limits for heat treated post-1920 Colt New Service, Winchester 1892 and modern Italian clones proofed to CIP.

Again. NO ISSUE WHATEVER in any .44 Magnum.
    Good On ya for the "pressure tested" I tend to rely on folks like Yourself.. Truly Appreciate that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Good On ya for the "pressure tested" I tend to rely on folks like Yourself.. Truly Appreciate that!!!
    Thanks to Larry Gibson for pressure testing in his Oehler 43 PBL.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-20-2024 at 04:27 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    8.4 grains of Unique with various 240 to 250 grain cast bullets has been my main 44 Mag plinking load for years. I chose 8.4 because that's the amount a RCBS Little Dandy rotor drops in the general range I was looking for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    8.4 grains of Unique with various 240 to 250 grain cast bullets has been my main 44 Mag plinking load for years. I chose 8.4 because that's the amount a RCBS Little Dandy rotor drops in the general range I was looking for.
    LOL, I settled on 8.6, because I have a Measure that Throws that consistently!! Now, with Unique not readily available, I am using grain for Grain BE-86...and Now!!! Sounds like Alliant is not really Reliable.....

This has been a very interesting and informative discussion. Thanks all.

Thank's Outpost,

Here is the thread about that https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...essure-Testing , a very interesting read.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator