RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Sink? Or Shoot?

Sink? Or Shoot?

Jumping in with both feet, Lord willing!

Tomorrow, going to go to my first Cowboy silhouette shoot in four years, had to stop during captain tripps. Was shooting a Marlin 1894S in 44 mag last time I went.

Jump ahead four years. A couple of months ago. I picked up this Remington rolling block relined in 44-40. Closest range available is at a friends farm, he says it's 15 yards but betting more like 10 yards. Great pistol range but horrible for the rifle. Shot two boxes of 1990's something cowboy ammo and regular winchester stuff. The RB did great, had to aim low to hit anything but once I had that figured out the rifle and I did well. Have not had the time to try a pay to play range south of us for the 100 yards.

So going in with untested open sights at 100 meters and untested ammo. I reloaded 100 smokeless rounds with 7grns of unique using nos mieser 205 grn boolits sized .429.
    Since I love shooting bp in a cartridge, I loaded up 90 rounds of Goex, using the 43-215C at 220 grns sized .429 with 36grns of FFG and spg lube.

So this could be very interesting! Going to try at least 5 rounds each at practice and see which one fares better and to get a feel for the sights with each load. A crazy way to go but why not?

Sink or Shoot, just going to have some fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3294.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	326692
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3295.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	326693

Good luck. I'm certain you'll enjoy yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am too anal and competitive to be that unprepared…but that does not matter if you have fun!
    Don Verna

Shoots cancelled due to wind gusts, 25mph +. Argh!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Remmy4477 View Post
    Shoots cancelled due to wind gusts, 25mph +. Argh!!
    Now that is funny if true. In all my years of competitive shooting, the only time a shoot has been canceled/delayed is due to severe weather events. I saw a picture of an outhouse being blown across the parking lot of the Grand. I hope there was no one inside when it happened. It would have been a ****ty experience.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Now that is funny if true. In all my years of competitive shooting, the only time a shoot has been canceled/delayed is due to severe weather events. I saw a picture of an outhouse being blown across the parking lot of the Grand. I hope there was no one inside when it happened. It would have been a ****ty experience.
    The last three shoots have been cancelled due to weather. First two times was due to rain and snow, this time the wind. Would have been shooting half size silhouettes today, they don't like the wind.
    Trust me I have shot in worse weather.
    Not my call at this club.

Might try the 100 yard range today at a place just south of me? The pay to play is a bit pricey though.