Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: suggestions please

suggestions please

I need some advice. My wife would like a snubbie for concealed carry and I was wondering if any of the members have any experiance with Taurus revolvers, I'm curious about the ultra lite five shot .38 spl. She definately wants a revolver. otis

Boolit Master
    After numerous experiences with Taurus, I would suggest saving for a Smith or Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    After numerous experiences with Taurus, I would suggest saving for a Smith or Ruger.
    Thank you. odis

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    The original Smith 640 in 38 Spl was a dandy little revolver. In a fit of stupidity I sold mine to finance some other long forgotten project. Later I had a M442, which was also a fine little revolver, but it wasn't as comfortable to shoot due to the light weight. I carried them with max 38 Spl loads behind the 358477 boolit. Not +P, but max standard loads. That is also the load I practiced with. If you loaded practice ammo with 2.7 gr. Bullseye and a lighter boolit for the 442 it was a lot more pleasant to shoot. Thats shooting maybe 50 to 100 rounds per session at 21 feet to 50 feet. At 50 feet both revolvers shot well but the 640 would really surprise you. I really miss that gun. If I were in the market I'd get another of either in a minute. I didn't mind the weight of the 640 at all, and maybe for a woman, especially if she doesn't shoot handguns all that much, the 640 might be easier to control. But that is an individual decision. I have taught several women to shoot handguns and some of them liked the light guns and some liked the heavier ones. Take her to a gun shop and have her handle both, see what she likes. It would be ideal to find a gallery that had both for her to actually fire before buying. If she is interested in shooting you sure don't want to get her a gun that she hates to shoot. We need all the help we can get now.

Good luck,

Phil
    What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers build targets.

Banned

save for a couple more months and buy a j frame smith. You will NEVER regret it.

Boolit Master
    I agree with Lloyd. Buy her a nice S&W Model 36. Great gun and will continue to go up in value. Still can be found at reasonable prices. Taurus is a "maybe" in terms of function and will not be an investment.

Boolit Grand Master
    Carried a model 36 for many years. Served me well. I made it fit my hand with other grips. Find one that fits her hand. Colt Det Sp was is another choice, if you can find one. Smith has a better (faster) trigger IMHO and the Colt has a nice long, smooth trigger. FWIW.

Boolit Mold
    I agree with Lloyd, a j frame is an excellent choice. If your dealing with a gun shop, they should let your wife fit a revolver to her hand size, and if they have a few used revolvers of her choice, see if she could shoot one before purchase. Thats called customer service and repeat customer, who spreads good word about gun shop.

Boolit Master

I have a S&W M36 and a M642, both with Lasergrips. The hammerless one is easier to carry and draw but recoils more because of lighter weight. The 36 allows for faster second shot and possibility of single action use if required, and is surprisingly accurate in that mode. Both work great. No experience w/Taurus but I got both mine as "lightly used" for less than a new Taurus or Charter. Shop around, you might find a deal on one if you're patient.

I have only owned one Taurus and I still have it, its a 605M Stainless. Its proven itself graciously over the past 4 years. Its diet mostly consists of full house .357 mags, its also has digested a lot of SWC 38 spl too. I have no quams with it. In fact I can shoot it better than the others and there are a few others of the same frame size.

It all depends how many nickles you want to spend. I CCW the 605 mostly because if I loose it..... well it ain't a Smith.

Spend what you can afford as you get what you pay for. In todays market should you decide to sell, I think you would not experience depreciation in value no matter who the manufacturer.

All in all let her pick out what feels and looks good to her. You wouldn't let her choose yours would ya? BTW, if its going to used for CCW expect it to get that "worn" look especially if its toted around in a Pocketbook.

As for the 605, it will continue to graze along with the rest of the herd. She ain't gone nowhere soon.

Good Luck
    Sprue ™

Boolit Master
    I guess I will go against the consensus of the Smith vs. the Taurus. My wife carries a Taurus 38 concealed carry and I have a Taurus .357 that I like to carry when out in the field. No problem with either. Both are surprisingly accurate. Now I'm not saying a Taurus is better than a smith or that for about the same price I would buy a Taurus over a Smith, but around here the Smith&Wesson is quite a bit more expensive and for concealed carry for the most part the Taurus will fit the bill just fine.

About halfway through this article is a discussion about new shooters and .38s:

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellPraise38-SW.htm

You might want to consider a heavier revolver...
    Glen

Boolit Buddy

I wouldn't pay squat for a new Smith. Their QA has really taken a dive, unlike their price. And all they've done for a bout a decade is ride the heels of Taurus...All they are now is a trade name.

All my Smiths are old ones. That's why they shoot with no problems.

Odis, there is nothing wrong with buying a Taurus for defense. I have 3 of em & never had a problem with any of em. My Taurus 85 will out shoot my S&W 36 all day long.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    About halfway through this article is a discussion about new shooters and .38s:

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellPraise38-SW.htm

My wife has been shooting pistols for over thirty years. I bought her first pistol in 1975 a secuity six. Her currant pistol we bought in 79 a Trooper MK III with a 6 in. barrel. We were just curious if the Taurus was any good. By the way my wife is 6 ft. tall and her fingers though very slim are too long for most autos she prefers the long double action revolver trigger pull. odis

I have a m36 and my mother has a m637- both are great guns and my mother, despite severe arthritis, does not seem to mind the buck of the 637. She has the least expensive crimson trace grips on hers. they are a bit small for my hands.

here is a brief write up of the 637 I did:
    http://gunzand****.blogspot.com/2008...37-review.html
    and another here:
    http://gunzand****.blogspot.com/2008...7-initial.html

and here is my take on the m36:
    http://gunzand****.blogspot.com/2009...me-review.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post

I read the article and although it was an interesting read I should add some additional points to ponder. My wife doesn't shoot much(I know, I know)and when it came time to purchase her a revolver for concealed carry I actually tried to get her into a heavier revolver for those very points mentioned but she wouldn't have it.

She much preferred the lighter revolvers and that is what she got. For some women that already pack a heavy purse around the added weight did not appeal to her at all. Anyway she does real good with the revolver and likes to shoot my cast boolits and reloads.

Matter of fact it was the ultra lite five shot .38 spl that she picked and loves it. I'm sure the wife of the op would do just fine with it. Now this might not make sense to most of us but when my wife was trying the revolvers out she actually stated that the heavier revolvers were too heavy for her hands. She's not a big or strong woman so like most of us think, it has to suit her, and it does.

I think it's interesting that no one has sounded off about the sp101. That was her first choice but it seems that there is a very long waiting period. Just curious if any of you guys think the Taurus is reliable enough to bet your life on after shooting a number of rounds through it for practice. She wants me to start making holsters again and build her a inside the waist band holster for it. I don't have a problem paying out a lot of money after all we've been together since 75 and I've grown much to ugly to start looking for another wife if you know what I mean. odis

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by odis View Post
    I think it's interesting that no one has sounded off about the sp101. That was her first choice but it seems that there is a very long waiting period. Just curious if any of you guys think the Taurus is reliable enough to bet your life on after shooting a number of rounds through it for practice. She wants me to start making holsters again and build her a inside the waist band holster for it. I don't have a problem paying out a lot of money after all we've been together since 75 and I've grown much to ugly to start looking for another wife if you know what I mean. odis
    If I were in a position to risk my life again. The gun in my holster would have S&W OR Colt on the sideplate.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

odis many cops did tarurs was a service gun for many cops in small towns. They are a good gun They are now about the same price. One thing they dont have, the "finished " look. get you a buffing wheel and work it over. My choice is S&W but thats cause I have 15 . I like the 337 with a 460 back up. The 460 is a little hard to carry in the back up the pants , but I fit right in with the young kids so I wear a wig LOL rick

Banned
    What kind of accuracy can you expect from a .38 J-frame type snub nose?