RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingMCD Products
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 200 grain 9mm subsonic

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    I tried it in 38 special and 357 when I first got the mold. It would crimp in the crimp groove and fit the cylinder in 38 special.

Have you done any performance testing with your loads? One gallon water jugs are next on my list of things to test. I wish I had kept some deer skin...
    Leather glove is a good substitute.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , S&W Mod 17 K22, Stevens Favorite .22mag 30GM, ADC .45/410, CZ SP01 9mm

Boolit Master

Middle Tennessee for now. WANT TO BUY land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	098E63DB-6135-40B3-BC0A-2D1FB995915A.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	327191

I was able to do some penetration testing over the weekend. I had two day old sheep skin and shoulders for testing media. The buzzards had already cleaned out all the internals. I finally caught one of these after doubling up the hide, from the back of the animal over the shoulders and putting 2 x 4’s underneath and a piece of sheet metal under the two by fours. Shown in the picture is the 2 x 4 with the 200 grain cast Lee boolit partially protruding and it dented the sheet metal against the ground.

Substantially more penetration than I expected for something in the 500 ft./s range!

Pretty neat!
    looks like the performance in a rimless 38/200 from yesteryears.
    There's been a few single shots on here done like that.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like Remington factory lead loads from Great Grandpas old Remington derringer In the end grain of a oak log they would be just barely above flush.

Boolit Master

I suspect it would have gone on into the dirt a good ways if the sheet metal wasn’t there. I didn’t dig enough to find any of the other ones.

I know it’s a small informal test, but it’s enough to convince me it’s a useful load for critters messing with the chickens, without making too much noise.

Boolit Master
    GONRA has another 9mm subsonic load for Barry54:
    147 gn. .354 inch dia. Remington bullet, range brass,
    Win. 1 1/2-108 primer, 4.2 gn. WW 231 powder., 1.118 inch OAL.
    Outside, sounds like a woodpecker in a suppressed Vector UZI smg.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA has another 9mm subsonic load for Barry54:
    147 gn. .354 inch dia. Remington bullet, range brass,
    Win. 1 1/2-108 primer, 4.2 gn. WW 231 powder., 1.118 inch OAL.
    Outside, sounds like a woodpecker in a suppressed Vector UZI smg.
    Woodpecker!! Ha ha. I bet that is fun!!

This load I’ve worked out is hearing safe in a carbine WITHOUT a suppressor!

Barry, I ended up with 1000 plated LOS 180gr HPs. Played with them and TiteWad today. I could only get them to chamber in my Lone Wolf barrel and could not get them to cycle before being overpressure. They are quiet though. I may buy a barrel throater. Tired of being limited by the short throats on several of my 9mms.

Last edited by steve urquell; 07-20-2024 at 05:43 PM.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , S&W Mod 17 K22, Stevens Favorite .22mag 30GM, ADC .45/410, CZ SP01 9mm

Boolit Master

Interesting. I can’t get the blowback to not cycle as you’re aware of in the other thread. My fleet here on the farm seems to need more power to cycle as the firearm size decreases. Enough so that I set up my progressive press to load reasonable loads and the subcompact gets dedicated loads.

What barrel length were you using when you got pressure signs?

Most burn rate charts start with Norma R1 followed by Vihtavuori N310 so I choose it as the fastest I could easily buy. I have seen TiteWad faster on some charts though.

Do you think TiteWad is is faster than N310?

Interesting. I can’t get the blowback to not cycle as you’re aware of in the other thread. My fleet here on the farm seems to need more power to cycle as the firearm size decreases. Enough so that I set up my progressive press to load reasonable loads and the subcompact gets dedicated loads.

What barrel length were you using when you got pressure signs?

Most burn rate charts start with Norma R1 followed by Vihtavuori N310 so I choose it as the fastest I could easily buy. I have seen TiteWad faster on some charts though.

Do you think TiteWad is is faster than N310?
    This is my 5.85" LoneWolf G34 barrel in my PSA Dagger. That barrel likes to run hot loads only. I think the extra length outside the slide is a factor in the cycling as the suppressor weighs it down. I do have 160gr PC boolits that will cycle in it with TW. I think I was on the edge of high pressure with the 160s. I think 180gr is just too much for my fast powder+ the weight of the suppressor and long barrel.
    Last edited by steve urquell; 07-20-2024 at 06:20 PM.

I got her to run. I tried TiteGroup but it was too fast as well and pressure spiked. Tried W572 and it was a winner. 3.0gr was the sweet spot. Now I need to see if I can make an accurate load out of it. Those 180s sure make a big splat on steel.

Boolit Master

Excellent! Congratulations!

Can you try them in a carbine to see how loud they are without the suppressor?

Excellent! Congratulations!

Can you try them in a carbine to see how loud they are without the suppressor?
    They won't chamber in anything except the LW barrel. The profile is too fat at the nose.

Boolit Master

Late to the party here. Interesting project. But I think I'll stick with 147gr. Works for my subsonic loads in 9mm. That said, I don't use a can. But what Steve brings up is a good point. That is one of the reasons I've always said any can I would be I'd want to be user serviceable. At least then I could clean it out without resorting to the "dip".
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12