Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W has a new one

Boolit Master

I wouldn't mind a 45 colt, myself. I sold off all my marlins but the 357 CL. Heavy, subsonic 45 colt suppressed in my 45 pistol suppressor ought to be a real quiet hog/deer slayer.

Boolit Master

Can't believe S&W would lawyer up with that useless cross hammer block. Best way to blow a trophy shot. I have removed a pile of those cross hammer blocks during my career as a country gunsmith. Probably could fill a small notebook with stories of missed shots because that cross hammer block that got accidently pushed and the hammer came crashing down with a loud click during that critical shot !!! Many an 8 ~10 point buck lived another day because of those dumb blocks. My question is: "why is there a safety notch on the hammer that keeps the hammer from resting on the firing pin". For me that is safety enough. How many lever guns have been manufactured for over 100 years without a hammer cross block? None of my dozen or so Winchester or Marlin lever guns has that stupid cross block bolt.

Boolit Buddy
    The scope rail can be removed a the XS peep placed on top of the bare receiver. The rifle looks much cleaner that way. The threaded muzzle is unfortunately a reflection of the market in 2024. If you really want you could have a gunsmith cut and recrown to remove the threads. It won’t interfere with the front sight.
    The cross bolt safety… lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    If you remove the threaded muzzle, the rail, and the large lever, it'd be pretty handsome.

I'd definitely consider one in 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum.

^^^My thoughts too^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The video I watched almost made it look like there was a "normal" lever on one rifle. Perhaps I was mistaken.
    That said; your new lever gun owner will likely enjoy pulling the plug on the magazine to empty it, the rail for an optic, and the threaded muzzle for a suppressor.
    Theodore Roosevelt had a scoped Winchester with a Maxim suppressor on it for "vermin" on Sagamore Hill. Wonder if anyone thought that was a bridge too far in his era?
    Me personally? Not a fan of the aesthetics - but I can appreciate the practicality.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    That's ugly as a Henry , I'll pass.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    That's ugly as a Henry , I'll pass.
    That gave me a chuckle, thanks!
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    When I saw videos of this rifle early this morning from Sootch00, it looks exactly like a Marlin receiver. Licensed copy?

Boolit Grand Master
    Another "wait and see" offering unless someone has the money to scratch the itch. Many folks here went ga-ga over the new Ruger "Marlins" even after a member posted his review and was getting poor results with factory ammunition.

Don't know if some were Ruger fan boys, or lever action fan boys or what. $1000 for a gun that shoots softball size groups at 50 yards is not something I would be happy with.

Good post about folks looking at lever actions to fill the void that has been, or may be created, by banning AR's. I think the same way. That is reason I kept a couple of .30/30's, as I have no other use for them. The .357 carbines will work for self defense at 100 yards, plus are fun to shoot, so I rationalized keeping them too.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    When I saw videos of this rifle early this morning from Sootch00, it looks exactly like a Marlin receiver. Licensed copy?
    I don't see why they would have to license anything from Ruglin as long as it's not exactly identical in appearance, which could invite an IP infringement claim. Glock has sued a few gunmakers for producing a copy of their gun that was too close in appearance to the original. I can't imagine there are still any unexpired patents on Marlin lever actions.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    My email from S&W this morning claims:

Textured polymer forend and stock compatible with Marlin® 1894 furniture.

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY that is one ugly gun! I'll keep buying originals..

Boolit Master
    Says the pic rail and sight mounts are compatible with the Marlin 1894. It’s a Marlin copy in my eyes, with a removable magazine tube.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Says the pic rail and sight mounts are compatible with the Marlin 1894. It’s a Marlin copy in my eyes, with a removable magazine tube.
    Hmm, did not know that. In any event I still wouldn't mind having one. More lever actions to choose from is always a good thing. I have a suspicion that if real world prices for the Marlin and this new S&W go under a grand they are going to cut into Rossi and Henry sales bigtime. Rossi in particular, as their prices keep creeping up yet Rossi is still regarded as a cheap gun brand. I really like my 92 .357 but no way would I pay almost the same as a Henry, which is what they now go for here.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

It it takes marlin pattern wood, that’ll be a real plus. You can get the stainless version and put a wood stock on an have a nice gun in short order.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

I see no reason to continually reinvent the wheel.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not a fan of the big loop levers, nor the threaded muzzle.

The unloading by pulling the inner magtube trick ala .22 rifle makes me shake my head.

I think I will give this one a hard pass.

Robert

Boolit Mold
    I wish they’d make a version chambered in 460 or 500 S&W. Something more affordable than a Bighorn.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have heard of people putting an O-ring on the crossbolt safety to keep it from ruining a once in a lifetime shot.

Not seeing any redeeming social value. It has all the bad points of a Marlin and all the bad points of a Henry with an unnecessary safety! Headed for the not made any more list.