Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Soft lead .22hornet HP's @100yd

Soft lead .22hornet HP's @100yd

Found out the last bunch of MP .227 63gr hp's I made up where only 7.2 bhn instead of 15-17. Dang things made a bigger mess@1776fp then the 50 gr Vmaxes I load at 3100 fps for my 5.56. need to get some ballistic jelly one day because I really wanna capture some rounds
    Last edited by Wolfdog91; 11-08-2023 at 05:13 PM.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    When something works don't change it. If your loads are accurate and the hollowpoints virtually explode on impact you've got some pretty good varmint rounds. The main problem with shooting varmints with cast bullets is that they have a tendency to ricochet. If your high velocity soft lead hollowpoints are coming apart hitting a beer can full of water, then it looks like you've solved that problem.

Boolit Master
    I also find that the fattest 60 gr cast boolits seem to work best in my .22 Hornets, despite the pronouncements on twist, groove diameter and case capacity in the literature. I trickle as close to 10 gr of 4198 as I can get through a funnel and drop tube into the neck sized case (Remingtons seem to have more capacity than Winchesters) and follow with a boolit sized and weighted for the .22 Savage High-Power. My faves are the Ideal 228367 and a somewhat oversized 225462, lubed, with little or no sizing, through an old Ideal #1 0.228" lubrisizer die.

The load just shades 2000 ft/sec, and lands with considerable authority, as well as being just as (or often more) accurate than the usual 45-50 gr offerings sized to 0.225" or so that are normally recommended.

Appropriate targets!

Actually found one of them today while walking about 70yd behind the hill I use as a berm

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    I also find that the fattest 60 gr cast boolits seem to work best in my .22 Hornets...My faves are the Ideal 228367 and a somewhat oversized 225462..."
    Ramrod, what is your twist?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Actually found one of them today while walking about 70yd behind the hill I use as a berm
    Now that's pretty cool.

Boolit Master
    The Low Wall is 16” and (I think) the Ruger #3 is 14” twist. Whatever the Ruger factory made them in. IIRC, they are both 0.224” groove diameter. Shells with the fat boolits chamber easily.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

Factory Ruger #3 Hornet barrels have 16" twists.

Also, stability of a bullet in a given caliber is based on the length of the bullet, not the weight, and the velocity. Most cast bullets are shorter than their equal weight jacketed counterpart bullets. Thus, many times a heavier cast bullet will be stabilized in 14 or 16" twists than will the same weight jacketed bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla