RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: please allow me to vent ( off toppic)

Banned

I would not shoot at the same range with him. What he does with his brass and loads scares me. I hope he shoots alone!

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    Ditto what 44man said. I would never go to the range with that man. I have some relatives like that and know exactly what you go through. I haven't seen them in years. By my choice.

With deepest sympathy,

Phil
    What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers build targets.

You can pick your nose, you can pick your friends, but you can’t pick your relatives.
    Appalachian American

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

Moderator Emeritus

You mean this brain donor actually has firearms??? Please let us know what range he goes to so none of us will be in danger around him! A bullet fired straight up at 3000fps returns to earth at 3000fps??? REALLY!!!! My son, who is 17yrs old, learned about terminal velocity in GRADE SCHOOL! Lead harder than steel???? On what planet!!! I have a cousin who is a know it all too, but at least he limits his knowledge to things he really knows about, computers, not other things he has no clue about. Do yourself a favor, do one of two things here, either stop associating with this relative of yours, or simply agree with everything he says and ignore his attempts to be a self righteous egotist. That's exactly his motivations here, ego driven self righteous know it alls are all the same.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

Having been exposed to similar situations in the past, I just remember the old adage about trying to teach a pig to sing and basically let the clueless morons involved go about their business in my absence (for my own safety, usually).

I've learned to listen to those who know (the majority of the people on this site) and ignore the ones who don't (usually gunshop/mall ninjas).

A good background in basic physics helps to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Quote Originally Posted by archmaker View Post
    Of course you could take your boolits and tell him that they are made of silver. Tell him this is the way you have been stockpiling your wealth. See if he might be interested in going in halfies with you when you go buy some more "silver"
    I got a table at the last gun show here in town. One of the things I had on the table was lead ingots. I had at least a half dozen people ask me "Are those silver?" If I was a less scrupulous person, I probably could have made a killing.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. I wastes your time and it annoys the pig!" RAH
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Sound like my own brother. Came to a point that we just couldn't communicate effectively (read: couldn't get along) so agreed to disassociate from each other early in life. Even his wives couldn't stay around long. He had a difficult time in life (no surprise) but after >50 yrs, and the passing of our parents, I'm all that he has left. We can get along w/each other now tho his decision process etc isn't to be trusted still. Tho he has been reluctant to acknowlege his shortfalls, they stare him in the face daily so he has done so. I guess the point is, the only way to win is to save yourself ~ don't let his personality/traits/character drive you nuts and make you uptight. You are under no obligation to change him. Living large yourself is the greatess victory. Its obvious which has the high ground here ~ don't let him aggrevate you into losing it.
    Last edited by odoh; 05-06-2009 at 01:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TREERAT View Post
    got into an argument with my relative, I need to know if I am right, (when a bullet is water droped it will continue to get harder over a few days period of time.) he continues to belittle me and imply that I could not possibly know what I am talking about, about many subjects! and I am getting tired of it. so when I get response to this, I will print it and hand it to him. I reminded him how long cast bullets have been cast and that lyman has been making molds longer than he has been alive, so it is most likely known what a cast bullet will and will not do when heat treated. he continues to argue that as soon as the bullet cools in the bottom of the water bucket that it is as hard as it will ever get, with inference that I am stupid. then we start talking about bhn numbers and he says hard cast bullets of around 30 bhn will rip the rifleing out of the barrel, I tell him it will not, that you cannot heat treat wheel weight alloy to the point that it could hurt a rifle barrel. the only way it would hurt the barrel is if there were contaminate in the mix that caused abrasion. and he keeps telling me that loading cast bullets o.a.l. to jam into the rifeling that the preasure is going blow up my rifle. just cannot seem to let go of this and needed to vent! I get this crap about once a month. last months argument was a good one, he STILL beleives if you fire a bullet straight up at 3,000 fps it will be travelling 3,000 fps when it returnes to earth, I just keep repeating terminal velocity of the falling bullet will not allow this. even sent him links from NASA and US aberdean proving grounds to prove my case, of course in his mind there findings are wrong to.
    You can't fix stoopid people, nor can you educate them. It is best not to argue with stoopid people, it demeans them and wastes your time. Learn how to change the subject, that way you will never talk about what he wants to drivel over and he will eventually tire and leave you the hell alone so you can go about your business of castin' great boolits.

Another way of handling it, is to make some pure lead plain base, load up to max velocity and let him lead up his barrel. He'll figure the rifling is gone, (You can even encourage that idea) he'll go buy another rifle and you can buy his at a song. If you're really good you get him to think you are doing him a favor for taking it off his hands.
    Last edited by JohnH; 05-06-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    I believe it's Mark Twain who's credited with saying "Never argue with a jacka$$ - it only wastes your time and makes it hard for others to tell which is which."

Or words to that effect.

This guy has no respect for truth and no regard for reality. He doesn't care, and can't be swayed by logic or facts. He just likes to argue. That's irrational, he's irrational, he's wasting your time and raising your blood pressure for nothing. If you lined up ten college physics professors and the Pope to convince him that he's wrong he'd be happier than a pig in slop because then he'd have more people to argue with.
    <
    Robert Ringer had the best way to deal with irrational people.
    Ignore him.
    <
    Utterly, totally IGNORE him. Because he wants the argument, he loves the argument, he craves the argument - if you ignore him he'll soon go away and find some other poor schmuck that will argue with him. Then YOU can live in peace.
    Uncle R.

Boolit Master
    Tell him the reason your barrel is safe is because you only shoot boolits that are at least one caliber smaller than your bore. That way nothing ever gets "jammed into the rifling" and that rock hard lead doesn't get a chance to strip the rifling from your soft-as-butter steel barrel. Wasn't there a moderator selling Lube Grooves a while ago? Buy your cousin a couple of boxes!
    If he refuses to listen or engage in a productive conversation, may as well have some fun with him.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Your brother, eh? That does add a fillip to the discussion, you can't really disown him. I think I would seriously reconsider hunting with him in the future, though. No, it is unlikely that you will get through to a person convinced of his own self righteousness. But he is your brother and you do have to deal with him. The best way may simply be to let him go on and on. Most of these people will put their foot firmly in their mouths and proceed to chew if you let them. At some point they may even realize that something tastes bad.

In reality it is everyone around him that you want to influence, not him. Any of his delusional beliefs that may actually hurt someone need correction, not in him, but in those around him. The best you can do is ignore the rest. Facts need explanation, not defense.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Treerat, A very good friend told me "NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT BECAUSE INNOCENT PEOPLE MIGHT BE LISTENING". I just look at 'em and grin. That's what I do when I listen to an Obama speech.

Treerat... Just a couple of thoughts on the subject at hand.

1. Ignore the fool. For the most part he is just enjoys punching your buttons and watching you get spun up. He is what the shrinks call a "passive agressive personality". He is playing you like a fiddle and you let him do it.

2. If you can't just blow the idot off, then don't go around him. If anybody want to know why, then tell them..because he is a *******. I am certain, you are not the only one who is the butt of his games.

3. If you continue to let him jerk you around, then shame on you! You have no control over him, but you do have control over yourself.

Boolit Master

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    Does he go by Lefty? Is he from Minnesota? He sounds like someone I know.
    haha!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by opentop View Post
    You can pick your nose, you can pick your friends, but you can’t pick your relatives.
    You can pick your nose, you can pick your friends
    but you cant pick your friends nose...

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    jsizemore,

You actually listen to der fuhrer's speeches? (:>)

Cheers,

Phil
    What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers build targets.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    A fool is wiser in his own eyes than 7 men who can give an intelligent answer. That's Bible truth.
    Don't argue with a fool lest you be like him.
    That's Bible truth.

You've had a bunch of good advice on this Post. Here's mine. When the fool is around, try not to be around. When that can't be helped, just chuckle and shake your head but don't ever say anyting. If you're wrong he'll rub your nose in it and never forget it and if you're right he'll deny it and hate you for it.

Natural selection is supposed to rid our planet of idiots but some just seem to be luckier than they should be. In other words don't shoot or hunt with him. Heck, I wouldn't even ride in the same car. Where is Darwin when you need him.

Boolit Master

Treerat, I agree with the posts saying you cant tell somebody something they don't want to hear. Sounds like you need a new hunting partner. I also liked the posts suggesting a bhn tester but you know if it proves him wrong he'll just say its defective. FB

Boolit Buddy
    Lead will harden to a point after water dropping, but on the other hand, it will harden a bit after sitting for a few months. The book "The Modern Schuetzen Rifle" by the late Charlie Dell and Wayne Schwartz adresses this. Many competitive cast boolit shooters cast enough boolits for an upcoming match and fire them fairly soon after casting and lubing. It'll never harden to the point that it'll ruin a barrel. Get yourself a lead hardness tester and show the idiot the results as you perform the hardness tests. If he still doesn't get it, well, there's no sense in arguing with an idiot.

Regards,
    Bill
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer