MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Powder coating: Lube Groove vs Tumble Lube?

Boolit Bub

Powder coating: Lube Groove vs Tumble Lube?

I'm wondering what type of bullet is better powder coating: traditional lube groove bullets or Lee's many grooved tumble lube bullets.
    I know custom mold manufacturers now machine molds that have no lube grooves specifically intended for powder coating but I'm in the market for a Lee mold. The TL358-158-SWC and the C358-158-SWC are pretty much the same bullet (ignoring the gas check), and an even better comparison would be the TL358-148-WC and the 358-148-WC wad cutters. Do tumble lube design bullets work better with powder coating or does it make no difference?

They both work good with powdercoat. Normally, I would say that the conventional bullet would engrave the rifling better than the tumble lube design, but that TL 358-158 SWC is a great bullet. It shot great out of all my 357 mag revolvers.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

The tumble lube Lee mold will probably fill with PC. I prefer the normal grooves as fillout is easier to control. One purpose of grooves is to collect alloy from the lands so it isn't pushed all the way to the base. I shoot a normal groove bullet in my 9mms, PCd.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Both seem to work well for me-- but there are exceptions. I have one mold that is a Loverin style with many very narrow lube grooves between many very narrow bands. These work great with lumber, but with PC the rifling seems to cut through the bands in a way that removes the PC from the narrow bands.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I dont even like the idea of TTL grooves, lubed or PC. I think the debate would be lube groove or smooth.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I do them both , because that's what I have . Results are the same. All shoot just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    I avoid the Lee tumble lube design molds. I gave away the one I had because it was hard to get the tiny grooves to fill out properly. It could have been a problem with my casting technique but I still choose to go with more traditional designs.

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Master
    The powder coat is going to stick to the lead and cure in the same manner irrespective of groove type.