Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Herter's Primers

Herter's Primers

Any of you fellows that have been around awhile have any experience with Herter's Model Perfect Primers? I just found 1000 of them, The outer box is a bit shop worn, but the inner boxes are still pretty crisp and the trays are plastic. The anvil only has 2 holes instead of 3, is butterfly shaped. The Herter's address has a zip code, so they must be post 68, or whenever that started. I tried Googling the Japanese maker to inquire about the lot#, but only got 2 hits and it's some old stuff, long gone company I guess. I'll try them next reloading session, they have to be better than match heads!
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 08-28-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Those old primers can be extremely dangerous if not disposed of properly.

Please ship them to me and I will carefully dispose of them in a very safe manner.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

i am useing some right now they are as good as any I bought 25000 in 1970 when I was up there and still have a few 1000s left

Boolit Buddy
    Since their Herters brand, they have to be the absolutely best most perfect, unsurpassable, unexcelled, undisputably finest, world renowned, primers ever crafted using exclusive, old world-world super secret, superlative methods.
    Ever read an old Herters catalog? Their descriptions are hilarious!

Load 'em and shoot 'em. You'll be fine.

Andy

Japanese maker? That sounds odd to me. Most of Herter's reloading powder was made by Bofors of Sweden, and I would have thought they would have used Bofors, Lapua, Norma or RWS to make primers for their label.

But that IS what it says on the label!

Boolit Bub
    I have about 3k of them that came from a shooter that past away. They worked good when I tried them in the 7.62x39. They were not as good as the CCI BR-2 when it came to group size and S.D, but they were reliable.

Boolit Grand Master

Shot a bunch of Herters primers way back. Shot a bunch of his waspwaisted blts also. An interesting chapter in reloading history. I miss the old Herters catalogs, they were full of ego and a lot of fun to read.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Any of you fellows that have been around awhile have any experience with Herter's Model Perfect Primers? I just found 1000 of them, The outer box is a bit shop worn, but the inner boxes are still pretty crisp and the trays are plastic. The anvil only has 2 holes instead of 3, is butterfly shaped. The Herter's address has a zip code, so they must be post 68, or whenever that started. I tried Googling the Japanese maker to inquire about the lot#, but only got 2 hits and it's some old stuff, long gone company I guess. I'll try them next reloading session, they have to be better than match heads!
    Five digit ZIP started ca 1964.

I visited the Waseca store in 1978, but there wasn't that much left then.
    FWIW; AFAIK; IMHO; YMMV; yadda, yadda, yadda.

Regards, Ed Mann edlmann@embarqmail.com

Always remember this: "The wind may blow in many directions, but only God can make a tree."

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1862.png

Boolit Buddy
    Them old "Wasp Waisted" bullets are getting a bit on the collectible side. Don't think I'd be shooting any, and if I did, I'd hang on to the box.
    I have a catalog from 1964, IIRC. It makes me chuckle every time I leaf through it! They were truly a "one-stop" shop.
    Andy

Boolit Bub
    My lot of Herter's primers has tough cups; they sometimes misfire in my Remington 788 and my Marlin. Never in any Mausers, though.

I also have some 6mm Wasp-Waist Sonic bullets. The few I've tried gave disappointing accuracy, so I guess I'll look around for a collector who will appreciate owning them more than I do.

In Remembrance

I could start

a new thread but this will fit here. I consolidated my store of primers recently and discovered some of the large rifle you have and also some Alcan max fire small rifle. They all seem to do that which they were intended to do. On the other hand I have discovered some old [ 40 years ?, 50?] Remington LR primers that have the annoying habit of splitting when fired. Should have thrown them out. Not sure now. They still work to light off reduced loads such as cast loads.
    I think at this point we all have to consider the availability thing.

Life is good

Boolit Man
    Herter's primers!

I was at a flea market here a while back and ran across a table that had a 1000 box of CCI (diamond pattern) small pistol primers on it. I asked the price and he said 5 bucks. I opened the box and looked at the trays inside and they were actually Herter's improved #6 and a half which is actually a small rifle primer.

They are packaged with yellow and black labels and state that they were made in the USA (spelled out). I have trial fired a few with no issues. I plan on using them in my 16" Rossi 357 MAG.

Anymore, the only reloading component I search for is primers.

Paul