RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Casting for the AR-15 platform

Boolit Bub

Casting for the AR-15 platform

Hey guys I’ve been looking around the forum and can’t seem to find anyone who really casts and reloads for the AR-15 .223/5.56. So has anyone done it and is willing to share your experiences/ lessons learned? Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Vendor Sponsor

I'd agree with Jon, there are many of us who seriously load for 556.

I'd suggest in your thread - ask specific questions, no one wants to write a book for you...

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

You could also look for other calibers like the 6, 6.5, 7 and 30 cals if they are using 335 then 844 the bulk equivalent will work. There are a bunch of AR-15 usable cats based on the 223, 7.62x39 and the 6.8 with powder coated cast bullets. I do not do .224 bullets, just .257 and above. The powder choices is pretty much the same for any 223 based cartridge, the amount used is different.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Bub

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    You could also look for other calibers like the 6, 6.5, 7 and 30 cals if they are using 335 then 844 the bulk equivalent will work. There are a bunch of AR-15 usable cats based on the 223, 7.62x39 and the 6.8 with powder coated cast bullets. I do not do .224 bullets, just .257 and above. The powder choices is pretty much the same for any 223 based cartridge, the amount used is different.
    That’s a real good thought, thanks for sharing! I know I’ve seen guys cast/ reload for 300 BO with success

Boolit Master

Best advice I have is to look at the threads revolving around the NOE molds for the .223.

Most of the guys to load for it use those molds. I have one, but I've never taken loading cast for it very seriously. Definitely doable though....
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Buddy
    Plenty of discussion here on casting and pc'ing this caliber. I learned a lot here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ILostMyGoat View Post
    That’s a real good thought, thanks for sharing! I know I’ve seen guys cast/ reload for 300 BO with success

I use cast in 300 BLK with complete satisfaction. Cast at full .223 velocity in an AR is just a set of problems I don’t care to solve.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I use cast in 300 BLK with complete satisfaction. Cast at full .223 velocity in an AR is just a set of problems I don’t care to solve.
    I second this, had great luck with 300 blk, and not hard,also got a 9mm ar9 and even easier. I like reloading but don't want to make it to problematic.

Boolit Master
    You may want to also consider swaging for 556. With the use of used .22lr hulls it's actually economical although somewhat more time consuming.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Only 223 and 6.8 and only about 5-600 rounds of each in 4 barrels . With the 1-8" in 223 I only got about 2100 fps MV in a 16" carbine gas with 225-62 NOE and 21 gr of H322 but it matched groups with nominal 55 gr jackets .
    In the 6.8 I was in the same place with the 1-10 mossey 2nd 16" carbine about 2100 fps with the 279-124 at 131 gr 23 gr H322 . 4198 gave better groups but was in the no man's land of port pressure and case release. The change to an ARP 1-11" 5R rifle gas 20" added 150 fps to the H322 loads and pushed very close to 2400 fps with the H4198 loads .

I have not had a gas port or gas tube fouling issue , however the grey clay does accumulate some when one runs wet . On there other hand when it's wet , over oiled by some measures , it washes out easy .

I've not run any of the uppers until they were hot to cause an intentional heat related lube failure and I'm not a PC guy .

I can say for a fact that semi custom vs GI 2nd barrels vs mid grade standard production barrels leaves huge gaps in end results down range .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

What kinda accuracy you want ? Honestly it's really not that hard. Don't see what so many people complain about past accuracy
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    I found that a gas check in mandatory. Without it, I couldn't hit minute of berm.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    What kinda accuracy you want ? Honestly it's really not that hard. Don't see what so many people complain about past accuracy
    Not much to complain about regards accuracy if you're only shooting at 50 or 100 yards. I prefer my cast AR loads (I use a 12" twist barrel) to have loads that maintain 2 moa 10 shot groups at 200 yards and they run at 2200 fps. That 12" twist AR will shoot moa at 200 yards with jacketed bullets that run 3100 +/- fps. I've never achieved it with loads over 1900 fps out of my 9" twist ARs. I gave up on 7" twist ARs years ago. That's my accuracy expectation. Conversely, I see a lot of AR "shooters" [I use that term with the loosest of meaning] at our local range hang a zombie target or a 12" Shoot N See target at 50 yards [only because it's the closest they can put the targets] then blast away with a 30 round magazine using the most gawd awful standing positions. They seem happy to get one or two shots in the zombie or on the Shoot N See target. Apparently, that is their expectation of "accuracy". I generally only remind them that only head shots count with zombies...... There are others who genuinely try to at least zero their ARs. I often help them and the help is always appreciated.

I'm not criticizing anyone here by any means, just suggesting that casting for the 223/5.56 in faster twist barrels can be frustrating and not as "fruitful" as with other cartridges with slower twists. I imagine the OP, if already casting has a bit more experience and higher expectations.

With lubed cast bullets the faster twist 223/5.56s don't do as well as milspec ball past that. PC'd bullets can help but still velocities will not be as much as many want if any jacketed bullet accuracy is to be had at higher velocity.. As Wolfdog91 mentions, it depends on what kind of accuracy and velocity you want at what ranges.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 09-02-2023 at 10:33 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I never was satisfied with cast accuracy in my .300 BO 1-7” twist AR15. 2” at 50 yards won’t cut it for me.
    2” at 100 yards will do for hunting and that standard was met on the FIRST TRY with a 7.62x39 and the 6.8 SPC AR15s with their 1-10” twist barrels and Lee cast bullets.
    My .223 ARs have either 1-7” or 1-9” twist and since I have a 1-14” .218 Bee - I have not tried cast in the .223.