MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Be careful with avocados

Boolit Grand Master

Be careful with avocados

I now have four stitches in my left index finger - which does make typing a challenge! I was trying to get the seed out of an avocado and the point of the knife slipped off the seed and the knife continued downward into my finger. Sharp knives cut well and deeply. It is a nice clean cut, however, so I expect I will heal quickly.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

As my now deceased Father used to say to me "What'd ya do that for ?" Heal up quick - God Bless
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ouch! The wife takes the butcher's knife and rather than dig out the pit ? seed ?, she slaps the middle of the blade into the pit so that it cuts/buries itself in a little and then twists out the pit. Easy-peasy an less colorful than the red stuff flowing. Be well.

I thought this thread was gonna be about the Mexican cartels control of the avocado market and such. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

I have seen video footage of illegals coming across the border with lumpy packs,maybe...
    Heal up and get back on them avocado's!!!!

A mushroom knife is the easiest and safest way I have found to remove the avocado seed.

Boolit Grand Master

The PA that stitched me up said it was one of the most common injuries, so I figured I'd post it here. I've been cutting avocados for over 50 years and this is the first time I've done this.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Hi Wayne Smith,
    Around 1978 I did something similar to myself. Went to the emergency room to get stitched up. The people there asked how it happened and I said that I lost a knife fight with an avocado. They said they'd have to notify the police so at least I got a good chuckle out of the experience. Still got the scar, a pale line all the way across the base of my left thumb.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Ouch! The wife takes the butcher's knife and rather than dig out the pit ? seed ?, she slaps the middle of the blade into the pit so that it cuts/buries itself in a little and then twists out the pit. Easy-peasy an less colorful than the red stuff flowing. Be well.
    ^^This^^ works really well and is relatively safe. In fact, I figured it's how everyone did it...

A large spoon works well....

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Slap the knife blade cutting edge into the seed and twist as other's have noted. OR quit eating avocados (more for me)!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I cut them to quarters, then the seed is easy to remove. Don't forget the garlic, cilantro, and lemon juice in the guacamole!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Now that youve done it and learned there is no reason to do it again

The orange handled knife is made by fiskars and I think it is designed for gardening work but I use it for avocados it is perfect I use the hook tip to hook the seed and pull it out. The Spyderco endura is just for scale

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I now have four stitches in my left index finger - which does make typing a challenge! I was trying to get the seed out of an avocado and the point of the knife slipped off the seed and the knife continued downward into my finger. Sharp knives cut well and deeply. It is a nice clean cut, however, so I expect I will heal quickly.
    ...next time shoot him first,
    then finish him with the knife when it stop moving _

(good healing!)
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master

Accidents happen quickly. I hope you heal just as quick.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I've never had any trouble getting the pit out of an avocado, basically because I've never tried. Never felt the need to even buy an avocado.

I was given a couple once. Kind of like eating a pare that was a long way from being ripe.

Boolit Grand Master

Nope ... it's not the avocado that you have to be careful with ...

Be careful with the Knife .

I have never been cut by the avocado !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    In similar fashion I was cutting the stem out of a head of cabbage with my Chinese cleaver while holding in opposite hand. Then split it up and began to shred when I noticed that the green cabbage was red. Seemed kinda odd. That’s when I noticed my left thumb was missing close to a third of the tip. Even went through the nail! A strip of skin kept it connected. Rinsing with cold water really was a wake up call. Wrapped it tight, up over head and off to the car I go. Doc at the VA asked if I used a scalpel; said it was the cleanest cut he’d ever seen. It got infected and they were talking partial amputation since antibiotics weren’t doing it. I called a friend that’s a naturopath. She said to smash garlic 🧄 and onions 🧅, wait 5 minutes and put it on as a poultice. I did. Also noticed I had something round & white in the center. I grabbed it with (sterile) hemostats and ripped it out. It healed. Left side still numb. I sharpen well! Speedy recovery *🩹.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    ^^This^^ works really well and is relatively safe. In fact, I figured it's how everyone did it...
    This way as well.
    Haven’t cut myself (doing that) yet.
    (As he knocks on wood…..)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk