RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rossi 454 Casull

Boolit Master

Ran into a 454 at the LGS this morning, just off the truck. Perhaps they are making two versions, this one only loaded through a side gate, pictures I've seen on GB and other places showed a tube feed and a side gate. I'm indifferent, either the other or both, got used to the tube feed with Henry. Should be a dandy out of the tree stand. Put a half a dozen rounds though it, interesting recoil impulse. Not going to be a lot of fun sighting it in off the bench. Tried 45 colt, will not feed 255 Lee, meplat was hanging up. Going to try some different profiles to see if I can make it go. I was pleased with the improvements Rossi has made to their rifles, action very smooth, decent trigger, extraction positive, ejection, over my shoulder. To be fair, the price has gone up as well, this one was 859.00. FWIW, I picked up a Henry 360 Buck Hamster today as well, had the identical price.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    The link to Rossi in this thread says load through loading gate and unload by cycling lever .I didn’t see any thing in owners manual about tube loading? Where in the link did it mention tube loading capabilities? I would like the tube loading and unloading capabilities.Thanks Bob

Boolit Master

“Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    There are apparently a few mods made on the Puma 454 as far as the mag tube goes. The first didn't have a threaded mag tube which they added after some pulled the mag tube out. They threaded the mag tubes on later ones but my friends Puma pulled a threaded mag tube. Mine is the only one I know of that has an ear on the inner mag tube cap that turns into a slot cut in the bottom of the barrel just forward of the barrel band. This makes a very strong way of holding the mag tube in the gun. Does anyone else know of a Puma with this type of mag tube?

I'm shooting the Lee 300gr boolit ( 312gr with my alloy) at 1980 fps with a case full of Lil Gun. Recoil is a bit stiff but no problem with the mag tube pulling out. It loads from the front or the loading gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama358 View Post
    Attachment 316134

Puma 92 454-Casull (great compliment to the Freedom Arms model 83 on the hip)

My favorite walking around smasher.
    This bears internals looked like red mashed potatoes and he was chin on the ground dead on the spot.
    I think it kicks about like a 12 gauge slug
    The 45LC out of it is a mild kitty cat
    Pretty color on that bear. Where did you kill that one?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!