RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shipping a Ruger 10/22 action

Boolit Master

Shipping a Ruger 10/22 action

I need to ship a 10/22 action and would like an idea on shipping. Do I remove the barrel from the action, ship barrel and action together. I know the Post Office will ship rifles, do I ship Fed Ex? I am not shipping the stock. It will be addressed to me at my son's address. I am going there to enjoy a new grand-daughter. I am flying with just a carry-on. Have a new tock there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    I need to ship a 10/22 action and would like an idea on shipping. Do I remove the barrel from the action, ship barrel and action together. I know the Post Office will ship rifles, do I ship Fed Ex? I am not shipping the stock. It will be addressed to me at my son's address. I am going there to enjoy a new grand-daughter. I am flying with just a carry-on. Have a new tock there.
    You are aware that the receiver is an FFL item right? It has to go to an FFL holder or dealer. The barrel doesn't require that, but if the barrel is on the action then it goes FFL.

Boolit Grand Master

It's 100% legal to ship a firearm to yourself in state or a different state. No FFL needed. You are correct it needs to be addressed to yourself on a federal level. Some state my have additional requirements.

https://gununiversity.com/shipping-firearms/

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...t=ship+firearm

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...awful-activity
    May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to him or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out–of–state resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner may not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

I mostly use USPS since the location I ship to in AK is fly in only so USPS is the only option to ship out of that location.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-17-2023 at 08:39 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    What m-tecs said.

The question of what shipping service to use is unanswered. I last shipped a rifle by USPS, but the rules may have since changed. I will say that I’ve been sticking apple airtags in boxes, it’s interesting to watch them make their way across the country. No idea if it'd help me with a lost package.

Boolit Master
    What would you ship it in. I have been told to use a triangle box from Fed Ex turned inside out. Tape both ends good and wrap the action with bubble rap. Put in a custom wooden box and etc.

It is legal to ship your firearm to yourself in any state I want to ship to. You do not need a FFL to ship to yourself.

Pool noodles are good packaging for cylindrical objects like barrels and such.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Yes a barrel can be shipped right through usps. I don’t know about other states but Va. is a pita as far as anything that’s considered a fire arm ffl both ends. Neither fedex or ups will except anything that might be considered a handgun, like a receiver that you might be able to stick a pistol grip and a short barrel on! I don’t have a clue how usps would handle a rifle mailed to yourself. No private transfer of firearms in Va. without a background check! I can’t even but my granddaughter a shotgun and give it to her legally!
    Last edited by poppy42; 07-18-2023 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Freaking auto correct
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Poppy, that's for sale or transfer of ownership - shipping a gun to yourself out of state is a completely different subject.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

You could just take the 10/22 on the plane as checked baggage. I travel with guns frequently. You will need a hard case with pad locks, you check the gun case in, declare a firearm, unloaded, they open and check, put a red x-ray card in with it. Then you lock the case and you carry the keys. The case goes into a secure area, then is transferred to your plane's secure baggage area, you pick the gun up at destination. Usually a firearm goes into a separate baggage area and is not put on the turnstile, but I have seen the gun cases on the turnstile before. No fuss no muss, 99% of the time.
    With the 10/22 I would just take the stock off and ship the entire gun is a take down case, on the plane.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Internet says you must be there when the firearm arrives.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Internet says you must be there when the firearm arrives.
    Internet like most of the time is wrong

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    It's 100% legal to ship a firearm to yourself in state or a different state. No FFL needed. You are correct it needs to be addressed to yourself on a federal level. Some state my have additional requirements.

https://gununiversity.com/shipping-firearms/

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...t=ship+firearm

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...awful-activity
    May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to him or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out–of–state resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner may not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

I mostly use USPS since the location I ship to in AK is fly in only so USPS is the only option to ship out of that location.
    This is correct. That is until this administration can figure a way to screw this up...

Boolit Buddy
    At this time, it's essentially impossible to get FedEx or UPS to accept a firearm from a non-licensee. Used to be able to go to the hub and ship no problems, but those days are behind us unfortunately. Both UPS and FedEx changed their internal corporate policies and will now only accept firearms from "approved firearms shippers." The shop I work for part time had to jump through a bunch of hoops to be approved through FedEx.

So your best bet for the rifle is going to be USPS as was already stated.

For handguns, your only real viable option would be to check it in your baggage or drive it...

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    A lot of folks shop firearms to themselves at another address when they fly to another location to hunt, then ship them back to themselves at home when they fly home.

I'd be a bit leery of using UPS since it appears at this point that they may strike.

Personally, I'd be more worried about if the flight I booked actually took place the way things are going thanks to the incompetent of the current Administration.

Have a safe trip and have fun and enjoy that new grand-daughter!

Moderator Emeritus

I would ship it all in one piece, using a new hardside rifle case. Many hard cases come with a cardboard box, perfect to ship it in.
    Years back, GoodSteel made a post about that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001