Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any D cell battery experts out there?

I just used my Maglite 4D a couple of days ago albeit not as bright as a Surefire. It’s 30 years old and has only seen Duracell batteries perhaps that’s the answer for longevity ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I have not been able to 'save' any Mag-lite with corroded batteries, 3 different AA lights kept in vehicles. Modern LED's are much brighter AND cheaper than the Mag-lites. The better lights can get pricey, but Mag-lite has kind of faded, unless you need a 'D battery club'. The cost of returning a light makes returning not worthwhile. The Mag-lite guarantee does not cover leaking,corroded batteries.
    even if you do manage to "save" it --- a modern LED light is so superior (particularly battery life) that the save is not worth the trouble...................

Mag Lite has led light + led conversions for older units -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

rechargeable LED lights are so much better and never buying batteries again quickly repays the investment...

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    Good for them. Preserves the secondary usefulness of a 4D Maglight, (as a blunt force weapon).
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought a 6D cell version last night at Goodwill for $9. Yes, I have brighter, "better" but I like the heft of it at times and it is nostalgic for me as I had one 30yrs or so ago.

Will likely put the LED kit in it for more brightness and longer battery life.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I have wondered why it seems that D cells in Maglites succumb to this massive leakage but D cells in cheap plastic-bodied flashlights do not.
    For what it's worth, perhaps just "coincidences for me" -- it seems that the #1 LEAKING battery for me was the copper-top Mallory Dura-cell. I used to think these were the best, but, again, more batteries, clocks, scales, et cetera were destroyed from their leaking -- I switched to EverReady Energizers. Not a corrosion problem, since.

Re the OP flashlight, I had a chrome (NOT MagLite) two-cell D flashlight I really liked which also turned into one no-way-to-get-corroded-batteries out chunk. I used all sorts of chemicals and solvents on hand to get most out, except for the outer shells which (my guess?) chemically bonded to the thin metal flashlight shell. For kicks and giggles, I had enough of a "hole" for "C" cells, so I hot-glued some Emory paper to a pencil eraser, using this to polish the bottom (where front (+) of battery contacts while chucked in a drill. Then, I stretched the rear cap spring out, assembled, and -- it worked! The only "problem" was with the switch as after it was put in the "on" position one needed move it BACK just a hair -- but it functioned really well. I used it last at my parents' house, cleaning attic after they passed, and perhaps (?) left it there... regardless it got lost.
    BUT, a possible solution to get the 'light working again might be to do what I did....
    geo

Do any of you old farts remember Kel Lights?
    Heavier built than MagLites, but they went out of business.
    They were a beast of a flashlight, and a fairly decent club.
    My little O Light that fits in my shirt pocket is brighter than it or any MagLite that I’ve had since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    For what it's worth, perhaps just "coincidences for me" -- it seems that the #1 LEAKING battery for me was the copper-top Mallory Dura-cell. I used to think these were the best, but, again, more batteries, clocks, scales, et cetera were destroyed from their leaking -- I switched to EverReady Energizers. Not a corrosion problem, since.

Re the OP flashlight, I had a chrome (NOT MagLite) two-cell D flashlight I really liked which also turned into one no-way-to-get-corroded-batteries out chunk. I used all sorts of chemicals and solvents on hand to get most out, except for the outer shells which (my guess?) chemically bonded to the thin metal flashlight shell. For kicks and giggles, I had enough of a "hole" for "C" cells, so I hot-glued some Emory paper to a pencil eraser, using this to polish the bottom (where front (+) of battery contacts while chucked in a drill. Then, I stretched the rear cap spring out, assembled, and -- it worked! The only "problem" was with the switch as after it was put in the "on" position one needed move it BACK just a hair -- but it functioned really well. I used it last at my parents' house, cleaning attic after they passed, and perhaps (?) left it there... regardless it got lost.
    BUT, a possible solution to get the 'light working again might be to do what I did....
    geo
    That is odd! I will never buy Energizers again since I have lost so many flashlights and other items to them leaking. I went strictly to Duracells. I will say that I have lost a flashlight to a Duracell too though.

personally have had no problems with Duracell or the Kirkland labeled ones - have two at bedside for emergencies, check them every week or so + still going strong after over two years + no leakage -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

personally have had no problems with Duracell or the Kirkland labeled ones - have two at bedside for emergencies, check them every week or so + still going strong after over two years + no leakage -
    After losing so many good lights and other electronic items to battery leakage, I don't even store anything with batteries in them any more. It is inconvenient but my loss rate has decreased substantially.

Boolit Mold
    I've got 8 of the Maglites, various versions including C size. Yeah, new lights are brighter but LED conversions make them real nice. Besides, nothing gets someones attention like a 4 Dcell(unless it's a 6).
    As to the battery removal problem, I used two ways: drill hole in 1x4, 3/8 or so lag bolt to length. 1x4 over end of lite, tighten bolt with socket, if its been soaked with vinegar, can pop it out. OR remove switch,if possible, use bar clamp and 1 1/4 inch dowel to push battery out.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    After losing so many good lights and other electronic items to battery leakage, I don't even store anything with batteries in them any more. It is inconvenient but my loss rate has decreased substantially.
    This!

I am the same way, something that doesn't get used a lot, the battery is removed, stuffed into a small plastic bag (usually zip lock), and placed with the device. Scopes with an illuminated reticle, do you really want to lose one of those? Or red dot sights?

45_Colt

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    This seems like an interesting idea. Is the conversion anything more than simply changing the bulb?

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    This seems like an interesting idea. Is the conversion anything more than simply changing the bulb?
    https://www.grainger.com/product/5PV...2c359532d6f5d4

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    This^^^. A pain in the backside, especially those tucked behind screwed on covers but it is what it is.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Vendor Sponsor

Nothing Pisses me off more than Leaking batteries. THEY ALL LEAK Eventually. Heat makes them die faster. You have got to check your flash lights almost monthly if you want to avoid the problem. I have lost so many it is pathetic, adn I almost lost two of my Little Emergency Lanterns yesterday. Both had the beginnings of leakage but I caught them in time. It befuddles me why Battery Companies can't make a battery that doesn't leak! Not like it hasn't been happening for the last 75 years?

Hot tip: If you aren't going to use the light often take the batteries out !!! I have several big Maglights just lost one about 3 months ago. I took the batteries out of my Big 6 cell Head Smasher, and check my 4 cell Head Smasher every month. I just checked my AA light Yesterday and the batteries were dead but not leaked, so I dodged a bullet there.

2nd Hot TIP: I am only buying Rechargeable Lights now and have been for a couple of years. I am partial to NEBO lights! I have about 10 of them and they are small and bright. and they have a bunch of different styles. I have two little lights that are about the size of a 20 ga. shot shell that are 1000 lumens and will completely light my Front Yard which is about 100' X 150'. I have one that has a 400 MAH battery and knife blade so you can charge your phone with it. It fit perfectly in a Single Pistol Magazine Pouch and rides on the outside of my big Go Ppack.

Next you go to Harbor Freight and buy their 10,000 MAH Batteries for $20, also rechargeable. They will recharge your phone about 8 times adn they also have 400MAH batteries for about $7 that will charge your phone 2-3 times. all of these use USB connections just make sure you have both Mini USB plugs and a I phone plug. I have a several small "Ditty Bags" with all that stuff in them. One in my Car, Jeep, and her car as well. I recharge them all for maintenance every 3-4 months. I even have 4 small "Personal Fans" from Nebo that we use during the summer to blow air on us at night. They are totally quiet and will run for 8 hours on one charge.

The Nebo stuff is First Rate and I recommend highly! They also have big lights like shop lights and big flash lights that literally create day light when it is dark outside. They are available on Amazon and most decent Hardware stores. Tru-Value and ACE. Google them. This is the good stuff!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-16-2023 at 01:40 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

ive lost a few Maglites to leaking batterys. theres better lights now that are a 1/4 of the size that use rechargeable batterys that dont tend to leak. tossed my last maglite this spring because the bateerys wouldnt come out. im done with them

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Nothing Pisses me off more than Leaking batteries. THEY ALL LEAK Eventually. Heat makes them die faster. You have got to check your flash lights almost monthly if you want to avoid the problem. I have lost so many it is pathetic, adn I almost lost two of my Little Emergency Lanterns yesterday. Both had the beginnings of leakage but I caught them in time. It befuddles me why Battery Companies can't make a battery that doesn't leak! Not like it hasn't been happening for the last 75 years?

Hot tip: If you aren't going to use the light often take the batteries out !!! I have several big Maglights just lost one about 3 months ago. I took the batteries out of my Big 6 cell Head Smasher, and check my 4 cell Head Smasher every month. I just checked my AA light Yesterday and the batteries were dead but not leaked, so I dodged a bullet there.

2nd Hot TIP: I am only buying Rechargeable Lights now and have been for a couple of years. I am partial to NEBO lights! I have about 10 of them and they are small and bright. and they have a bunch of different styles. I have two little lights that are about the size of a 20 ga. shot shell that are 500 lumens and will completely light my Front Yard which is about 100' X 150'. I have one that has a 400 MAH battery and knife blade so you can charge your phone with it. It fit perfectly in a Single Pistol Magazine Pouch and rides on the outside of my big Go Ppack.

Next you go to Harbor Freight and buy their 10,000 MAH Batteries for $20, also rechargeable. They will recharge your phone about 8 times adn they also have 400MAH batteries for about $7 that will charge your phone 2-3 times. all of these use USB connections just make sure you have both Mini USB plugs and a I phone plug. I have a several small "Ditty Bags" with all that stuff in them. One in my Car, Jeep, and her car as well. I recharge them all for maintenance every 3-4 months. I even have 4 small "Personal Fans" from Nebo that we use during the summer to blow air on us at night. They are totally quiet and will run for 8 hours on one charge.

The Nebo stuff is First Rate and I recommend highly! They also have big lights like shop lights and big flash lights that literally create day light when it is dark outside. They are available on Amazon and most decent Hardware stores. Tru-Value and ACE. Google them. This is the good stuff!

Randy
    My first experience with NEBO was a rechargeable work light purveyed at local Stihl chainsaw shop -- I bought it, and love it. Since, I've purchased five more of their lights, and need more than agree they are top shelf. The two little pocket-ones I have boast that they go from super bright to dim just by holding the button, and remember this for next time you turn it on. Frankly, in some situations (I had one under hood of my tractor just a week or so ago) the light was too bright; took but a few minutes for me to see as I wished.
    This light is not cheap ~ $35.00 USD -- but imho is worth it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEBO.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	315900It is listed as, "NEBO Slim Work Light, USB Rechargeable Bright Pocket Light with Clip, Hook and Magnetic Base for Hands-Free Lighting Portable COB LED Dimmable Work Light Flashlight 500 Lumens" on Amazon.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    But don’t most people today use their phone light in place of where flash lights were needed?