Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Lee 429-200-RF

Boolit Buddy

Lee 429-200-RF

I'm thinking about this bullet for use in a 4" Taurus Tracker. Loaded in 44 special cases for a nice plinking load. Anyone use them? Are they square or bevel based?
    Thanks,
    Andy

Boolit Buddy
    The 6 cavity that I have is a flat base. It drops right at .430" with straight WW and makes a nice plinker in 44 Special loads. My only grip is I wish it had one larger lube groove instead of 2 smaller ones. It would make setting up the Star a little easier.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." -Gerald Ford

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." -Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Lube sizer was my main concern, in regard to the bevel base. I'm intrigued by this bullet, but I just wish I could KNOW I'd get a good one! I havent had the best of luck with Lee 6 holers this year. I'm sure with production ramped up to meet increased demand, quality WILL suffer.
    All my 6-holers made pre-2009 worked out just fine!
    I got's to get me a Star, but like everything else........BACKORDERED.
    Andy

Boolit Master

I have a 6 holer that's a couple years old. It has a square base. Works good in my M24 and my M624 for moderate loads, haven't found a load to bring it to p.o.a with my M21. Also have a bunch of bullets from a 6 hole Lee 429-240-2R but I haven't shot any of them yet. Dimensional quality is fine on both of them, although the pins came loose on the 240 gr after about 1000 rounds and I need to reset them and put in some setscrews.

Boolit Master
    I shoot the Lee 200 grain RF in both my 44 mag Ruger SBH and Ruger 99/44 levergun, and it is very accurate with the right powder type and charge. No leading, either. I like it!
    lathesmith

Boolit Master
    I shoot'em for cowboys in a pair of Bisley Vaqueros and a Rossi. Good boolit.

I am working a load with this boolit right now. So far I have not had great luck however I am determined to get a good load for off season cheap practice at 50 yards with my NMSB Hunter. I will switch to a hevier GC boolit about a month berfore the season (Wild pigs) starts. I have tried a couple of powders and tonight I am loading Unique in different charge weights. I will not get to shoot them until Sunday. I will post my results if you like.

Boolit Master

arcticbreeze - I would be interested in your results.

Boolit Buddy
    As would I, Arcticbreeze. I'd like to try this mold out, but I havent had real good luck with Lee molds manufactured post-election. I'm sure when more become available, there will be more than a few defective ones!
    Andy

I finally got out to shoot some. The Unique performed less than average. Off the bench with sand bags my groups at 25 yards were averaging 2-3 ". In a defense gun normally fired off hand at maybe 7-15 yards that might be fine but I am trying to find a load with that boolit to practice with my hunting gun out to 50 yards. So I am still searching for a good load with this boolit. Until than I will use my Lee C429-240-SWC witch with W296 I can get group sizes at 1-1.5" at 25 yards.

Boolit Master

Lee 200RNFP in .44 mag

Quote Originally Posted by Farmall 1066 View Post
    I'm thinking about this bullet for use in a 4" Taurus Tracker. Loaded in 44 special cases for a nice plinking load. Anyone use them? Are they square or bevel based?
    Thanks,
    Andy
    Andy I've found a nice load with this boolit in both my Winchester Trapper and my Marlin 1894 .44mags is 18g of 2400. I use mag cases exclusively. The boolit is a flat base with nice sharp corners.
    9g of Green Dot and the Lee 200RNFP also does well in my 629 Smiths and gives velocity around 1050fps outta 5" bbls.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

This is a flat base bullet.

I have settled on this bullet as my general use/plinking bullet. It shoots great out of my Model 24 .44 Special loaded over 4 gr Bullseye. I shoot it as cast, lubed with LLA. Here's a 25 yard target, shot standing, 2 handed

The Lee six banger makes a lot of bullets quick, and at 200 gr it makes my metal go farther than your typical 240-250 gr SWC.

Boolit Master

My favorable experience is the same as Patrick's. Same load being shot in either mag or special brass, shot in a 4 inch Model 29. I've shot them sized to .429, .430 and .431 and they didn't shoot any better or worse than those that were not sized and lubed with Lee's tumble lube. Great all around plinker for short range paper punching. I've shot as many as 300 in a single outing and the only leading I've experience with it shooting unsized tumble lubed was in my Rossi lever action rifle.