Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Ruger SR1911 45acp

Boolit Master

Ruger SR1911 45acp

I just purchased one of these. I have about 200 rounds through it, LOVE it. I'm using Lee 200 SWC at about 850 fps, NO malfunctions and the trigger is great. anyone else have one? Mine is full size 5". I traded as partial payment a Kimber Custom LW that I liked ok, but the Ruger, I like better.

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't heard anything bad about them at all. I think they are one of the best 10mm auto handguns out there right now.

Boolit Master

I have one that I bought through my Department on a letterhead for duty use.
    I qualified with it for a couple of years and carried it on duty a few times.
    Out of the box it was tight but after a while it loosened up a bit.
    Rugers are investment cast and not as tough as forgings.
    Another deputy got one before I got mine and his front sight broke while shooting it.
    It is a nice gun and plenty suitable for a duty weapon.
    I got Cobra mags for it on advice from a friend that was an instructor at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.
    They are not cheap but they are very reliable.
    Enjoy your gun, I like mine!

Boolit Master
    The Ruger 1911 45's are very well made. Top quality.

Kudos on getting one.

As for the idea/concept of investment casting vs forging & strength,, all I like to say is that Ruger has built it's company on the investment casting, and doing so in much higher pressured calibers than the .45 acp. The Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Redhawk, Super Redhawk, GP-100 etc all have investment cast frames.

Also, a little tidbit not know by many. Ruger's been casting frames for 1911's LONG before they built their own. MANY of the top names in the business have used Ruger's 1911 frames.

Boolit Master
    Investment Cast, Somehow not as Strong..
    Case in Point?? Dan Wesson ???? I have Yet to hear a Dan Wesson described as Weaker!!!!
    And What about loads for Contender/Ruger Only????
    Been Claimed for Eons tho that Investment cast is Weak. Especially on the www

Boolit Master

I have 3 WC mags left from my Kimber, and the 2 Ruger mags that came with the gun, all feed well with the swc. I can shoot this gun better than I could shoot the Kimber, the trigger is crisper. When I saw it in the case at the LGS, I had to "fondle" it, my friend that works there (it's bad for your wallet to have a friend that works at the LGS) had told me a few months earlier that they were hard to come by. When I held it, because of the all steel construction I noticed it was much more "gun" than the light weight Kimber and really felt good in my hand. I like the matt finish on the steel. As far as the casting goes, I have 2 Ruger revolvers, and a Ruger Red Label O/U with a SS receiver. All are strong as tanks and well made. I would like to try some other bullets in it but I don't know why, the 200 swc does fine and I've a 6 cavity mold to make'em with!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I got Cobra mags for it on advice from a friend that was an instructor at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.
    They are not cheap but they are very reliable.

Tripp Cobra mags ape pretty awesome. That's all I use. They are about the same price as a Wilson 47. The Cobras have a metal bit that hits the slide lock instead of plastic.

Boolit Master
    I love my Ruger's for some odd reason. The quality has fallen way below basic standards. On mine, If you remove the slide and look at the parts that are hidden you can see the terrible tooling marks. So bad my nail going over it felt like it was on a file. I cleaned it up and it works ok. I just feel at the prices Ruger is getting for any gun they are selling they need to do better work.

All and all this gun is still a shooter. I am glad you enjoy yours. Mine has a tight chamber and does not like to feed the lee Round Flat 230. I had to move to the TC mold. Works ok. Honestly I have shot the 160g from it also but that does not group well at 25 yrds. I do love the gun why I do not know I believe I could have gotten much more gun for the money in a moder platform. Or not.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I have two. A full size 1911 and a lightweight Commander style. Love them both. I noticed that they just came out with a lightweight full size. May have to fondle one of those soon. The most accurate load I have shot is a 200 grain SWC with 4.2 grains of Bullseye. A little slower than your load, perhaps, but it cycles just fine.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I bought one in 2014, it’s been awesome. I did send the barrel to Dougguy to have it throated so I could seat out cast boolits longer. I run a LBT 452-230-LFN boolit primarily and have had zero feeding problems with it. That boolit is a hammer when powered with some Blue Dot, for tamer loads I like VV 3N37 (and it measures better than Blue Dot for me)
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master

No tooling marks on mine

Boolit Master
    Thats great.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    What used to be called 'investment' casting and what Ruger uses are different animals. The old version of casting used alloys that worked with the old version of production molds. Ruger changed the way production casting was done with intricate steel parts using higher strength alloys.

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

I have one that I like very very much. I always shoot 230gr j-words or lead round nose 230gr out of it. Chews 'em up and spits 'em out very accurately.

As good as any of the other 1911's I have.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

Every shooter needs a 1911 in 45 acp in his shooting box ... and Ruger , as usual makes a good one ! Congratulations .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I posted this because I hadn't seen anybody else discussing these guns and after my experience, I thought they needed a little honest "review"!

Boolit Master

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I have one , 4 inch model . I’m like you I love this pistol, shoots great , easy to carry . It’s in my carry gun rotation. No complaints!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

My 1st. SR1911 was shortly after they came out (a few years ago @ $600.00 retail). Perfect sights & a smooth trigger. Doug Guy throated it. Many cast boolits have gone down that barrel : mostly 068 200 gr & 230RN over HP-38/231. Now I use 4.1 of WST for the 200 gr. 068.

I added a 9mm a few years ago: also a SR1911 (officer model). It came with a throated bbl & became my "church gun". I mainly shoots the MP 130 gr. RFN over HP38/231. My daughter loves that gun. Never a FTF once I got the OAL right.

I now have been flirting with adding a 9mm LW SR1911 commander.

Do like them? You bet!

I fitted an Ed Brown barrel to one for my former boss(he needed supressor threads).
    It looked well made on the inside and shot great with both barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

shot mine again today. It still works! Hate to use the primers but I keep tellin' myself I don't want to die with any on the shelf!