WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Flat rate boxes

Flat rate boxes

I recently needed to mail some items. I found Fedex was cheaper than the USPS flat rate boxes. I just wanted to share that.

The package I mailed cost $21 at FedEx post office wanted $90. Though the item wouldn’t fit in a flat rate box I’m finding it pays to compare shipping costs. The insurance for USPS boxes might sound appealing but I’ve had bad experiences when I’ve had to file claims.
    Last edited by Half Dog; 04-15-2023 at 08:40 AM.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

If it is light maybe, but ship some lead and will go up greatly in price. That's where the Flat Rate Boxes shine.

Boolit Master

As Springfield said, if you are shipping feathers or foam peanuts, maybe. You don't even have to be shipping lead for Flat Rate Boxes to pay off. I have compared USPS rates for small boxes holding a 6 cavity aluminum mold and Flat Rate is better.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Though it may be cheaper its not as convenient in my part of the world, I pass three post offices before I get to a FedEx site which for us is not open on Saturday (last I checked).

My second constraint is that I use cash for moving small boxed goods which negates the ability to do any kind of on line shipping/labeling. I am tracked and targeted enough with the credit cards I do use when i have to.

I like Pirateship, which was first brought to my attention on this site. You put in all your parameters (H,W,D/Wt) & it shows you the cheapest as well all your other options (USPS & UPS, no-FedEx). It will even tell you something is cheaper but warn you that no insurance is included. Last thing I shipped, I decided to pay $.30 more using a USPS Flat-Rate because of convenience. Just for FWIW....
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

I’ve always used USPS Flat rate for heavy stuff. FedEx & UPS aren’t close on heavy packages.
    Lately when shipping gifts & kid’s stuff I’ve noticed USPS Ground costs nearly as much as USPS Priority. Priority comes with $100 insurance while Ground doesn’t.

Boolit Master
    Half Dog

Thanks for posting. Although I will not be using Fed EX same reasons as posted mostly for local USPS offices.

Still always good to shop around if you are mailing items. I maybe selling small items soon so may have to check them out.

Do they insure and track packages?

How are they if items are damaged or lost?
    Before they were not very professional.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    Half Dog

…..Do they insure and track packages? …..How are they if items are damaged or lost? ….
    Both USPS Flat Rate and Priority come with tracking and are insured to $100. That said I’ve never had to file a claim for the insurance and can only imagine how much fun that’d be. I suspect a receipt for the item lost and probably pictures would be required.
    Anyone have experience with USPS insurance?

Boolit Grand Master

YES, unfortunately. When USPS lost an Encore barrel that I had shipped they required a receipt indicating the price I paid for the barrel. To say that it was a PITA is an understatement.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

another USPS bargain is the padded flat rate envelope - ships larger items that will not fit in small flat rate box at comparable cost -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Don’t know if it’s just a local thing, but Fedex delivery is about 50/50 in my rural area. I will sticke with USPS and UPS.

Boolit Master

My experience with USPS insurance was not pretty, partly because the buyer refused to make the claim after the package arrived damaged. As I recall, I was out the postage. Lesson learned-package securely no matter what the buyer says about cheaper shipping.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Cheer up fellas . . . heard the other day that postage rates are GOING UP again this coming July.

I always check all three shippers for anything that weighs more than a pound. Distance, usps is most likely cheapest if close to you. And none of the shippers like to pay claims. I've had UPS deny damage due to supposed poor packaging. Not.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Shop around for the best rates, USPS is not always the best if the heavy item is not heavy! But be aware USPS does deliver to many rural locations that the other delivery services don't or they (the other services) will transfer the package to the USPS for final delivery!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

fwiw - local postmaster informed that all priority mail is sent via FEDEX to nearest destination USPS branch + that UPS handles many parcel deliveries to destination USPS facilities - =
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    I like Pirateship, which was first brought to my attention on this site. You put in all your parameters (H,W,D/Wt) & it shows you the cheapest as well all your other options (USPS & UPS, no-FedEx). It will even tell you something is cheaper but warn you that no insurance is included. Last thing I shipped, I decided to pay $.30 more using a USPS Flat-Rate because of convenience. Just for FWIW....
    +1 Pirate was recommended here . Usually less than flat rate on anything lighter (than lead !)

+1 for pirate ship!