WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 358 Win Project

Boolit Buddy

358 Win Project-Completed 4/14/2023

I started this journey in Dec 2021. I purchased a brand new Howa 1500 chambered in 22-250 with a 26" bull barrel and a synthetic stock from a local guy. I sent the rifle to Hart Barrels for a rebarrel. I received the rifle back in the mail about a week ago. I don't like the look of a stainless barrel on a blued receiver so she got cerakoted Graphite Black. The barrel is a 20" heavy sporter with a 1 in 12" twist. The stock is a NOS weatherby wood stock. This week I fit the barreled action into that stock, pillar bedded, glass bedded, free floated the barrel, & added the Timney trigger. Now that I have finished my 300 Weatherby and 35 Whelen projects she gets all of my attention. I can't wait to put some of my cast boolits downrange. I just need some mounts and glass. The rifle currently weighs 7.7 lbs without glass, mounts, or rail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230406_134735 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	312794

Name:	20230406_134856 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	312795

Name:	20230409_130802 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	312796

Name:	20230409_130825 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	312797

Name:	20230409_130847 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	312799

Name:	20230409_130908 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	312800

Name:	20220409_204707 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	312798
    Last edited by brasshog; 04-14-2023 at 06:46 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ahhgggh. I want. I want. That is just about perfect. I am definitely envious.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Did a Santa Barbara 98 with a 24" barrel ,1-14" .
    1-12 is a lot of twist in a 35 cal .
    Looks good .

I have the standard 9/38/357 125,158 ,and 200 gr moulds along with the 35-250 and 360-228 XCB PB and gas check . The 35-250 likes a full or nearly of 4350 . It will do about all that needs doing in North America........ probably even grizz.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    The only mold that I have atm for it is a brass four cavity MP 358-200 RCBS that I am casting 94-3-3 for a BHN of about 10-12. I'm using homemade gas checks from .014 aluminum flashing for them. I do have a few Accurate 340-240K boolits from a member to try also. I want to try a MP 358-220 brass mold as well as Accurate's 36-250BG & 36-270BG molds. For j-words I am using a 250gr SPT bonded heavy jacket custom bullet from Northern Precision.

Thanks for sharing your projects. My favorite is the .358 with the wood stock. My late brother had a Vanguard in .300 Weatherby and I swear that it out kicked my other brothers .375 H&H!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Back in 2010 , I built a 358 Win out of a Yugo 24/47 action and a short chambered factory barrel.
    My rifle shot .358 lead Boolits great.
    I mostly used the 200 gr Boolits ,cast out of Linotype and powder coated.

Boolit Master

I believe the Howa takes the same scope bases as the REM 700.
    I’ve got a Howa heavy barrel in 308 and the mount package shows them fitting both actions.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    Beautiful to my old eyes! My old hands would love to hold it. Wish I was still living in the panhandle's buckle on the swamp belt so we could get together and compare groups with my (ugly but accurate) re-barreled Argentine Mauser .358 Win. Or if you need plenty of big backstops come on out to Nevada. (Shameless plug for the 23rd Nevada
    Cast Bullet Shoot.)
    Last edited by oso; 04-11-2023 at 12:34 PM.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Buddy
    @Uncle Grinch- I believe that you are correct. I installed a picatinny scope base yesterday from EGW

@oso- I wish I had a better place to shoot lol. If your ever this way just hit me up and we'll have a range day.

I started cutting on my cast bullet rifle project today. Got the bolt shroud notched for a DT sporting Mauser safety, and the safety mounted, did not like the idea or the way it looked in the drawing, but used the mill and a 1/8" carbide cutter,
    Better idea than the first dozen. That bolt shroud is as hard as wood pecker lips. Grinding the notch can mess up the temper on that part.

Started on the firing pin thumb/hold, release, cut it off at the rear of the bolt shroud when in the fired position.

Next I will narrow and taper the trigger guard and upper rear receiver tang's taper to elinate the stock groove for the sear on the bolt. The bolt handle sweep and bend will come after the tear drop reshaping and drilling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0206215D-9516-43D1-9542-A849D5CA3A28.jpg   7A7FA580-0C03-41B1-B646-08742C2594AF.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

250 meter Range
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4B0BB968-DB01-469F-A36D-403620012889.jpg  
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    @Rapier- That's a nice looking action. Whereabouts is that range ? Is it a public or private one ? I'm close to Pensacola.

North of Crestview, private, as on my farm.

Did you try the old state range on Quintet Road between Milton and Cantonment, now a group owned range, open to the public, shoot for a fee? Last I heard it was still open for rifle and pistol, the Pensacola range was open north of Pensacola. There was a muzzle loading range and a SASS range, bee so long since I was there could not tell you how to get to it or even if it is still in operation. Was just several old dug out clay pits with a covered firing line in one, last time I was there.
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers

That is gorgeous. I absolutely love my 358 win but I built an ar-10. Such an amazing round for anything I could ever need. Beautiful build

Boolit Buddy
    @ Rapier- The muzzleloading range became a tactical range after a lawsuit. That was basically how they made the money to pay for the lawyers. I haven't gone there in years simply because of the amount of people and they shut ranges down often for tactical shoots. I used to be a range officer at the quintete range over twenty years ago. They now have policies such as not picking up your brass and a thirty minute time limit in order to get as many tactical shooters in and out as possible to make money. The range at Styx River (200 yards) is under new ownership and appears to be doing well. I shot there last month. There is a new range called Element in Holt that has a 1,000 yard range. It is membership only but appears to be very nice. There is also a 360° firing range (tactical) near Hurricane lake. The Pensacola Rod & Gun range has a waiting list that is so long that maybe my grandkids will get a chance to be members lol.

@Gatorhunter1313- Thank you

Boolit Buddy
    I swapped my scope off of my Weatherby so that I can change it up. This is the Vortex Crossfire II 3-12-56 IL model. The Weatherby is getting a 6-18x44 Vortex Crossfire II IL model soon. I've started to load for her and will hopefully get to the range next week or so.

Name:	20230414_103613 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	312985

Name:	20230414_103717 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	312986

Name:	20230414_103725 (Medium)a.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	312987

If you remember back when they shot silhouettes at Quintet, I was the match director there, after the Hurlburt range closed. Quintet only had 100 yards, max distance range. Shot sporting clays at Quintet and Brushy Creek. Was the match director at Hurlburt on the Eglin R&G Club ranges and helped put on the FOP matches in Ft Walton.
    Been over to Styx several times to shoot clay birds, is that 1,000 yard range the one started by Jay of Jay's Guns?
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    @Rapier- I don't know who started that range. There is also a small membership range in Holt that used to be Guns4U.

Jay's range is north of Baker, near the AL border, as I recall. I have only seen the map one time, back years ago. But you can sign up in one of Jay's Guns stores in Pensacola, Crestview or Panama City. It is off the road tha runs from Milligan up through Baker and Wing, AL to Andalusia.
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers

Vendor Sponsor

I am just finishing my Parker Hale Deluxe Sporter that got re-barreled to .35-303 by JES. I ordered a .35-200 mold from Lee for it and Gas checks from Midsouth. The gun came out nice! I am starting loads out using .35 Rem Data and working up from there. I plan to have two loads for the gun, A Cast Boolit Load and a Jacketed Bullet Load. One of the beauties of the .35 cal is being able to use boolits for .357 Mag for plinking.

Starting a thread for it and another gun I just completed,

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com