Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy Colt Single Actions NOW

Boolit Master
    This kinda begs the question, exactly what is a Colt. It has the pony on the side but that's just an emblem. A poorly made SAA shouldn't be called a Colt, it should be called something else. Maybe they should sell the pony along with their lettering to USFA since it's made here too, only better made. Or, turn it it all over to STI who is making a top notch SAA, the Texican.

Boolit Man
    Who is STI?

Thanks,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

Boolit Master
    TEXICAN

The introduction of this high quality revolver will revolutionize the firearms industry. The STI Texican is the first firearm of any type made using ultra-high speed precision machining. Unlike conventional CNC machining, the surfaces of the finished parts are perfectly smooth and straight; they do not require grinding or polishing, so there are no rounded edges, no distorted screw holes. Flat surfaces are flat, not wavy. The result: perfection.

Proudly made in the USA, the Texican sets itself apart from the other single action revolvers. All Texican parts are either ultra-high speed or electron discharge machined from chrome-moly steel forgings or bar stock (no castings) to dimensions measured in tenths ( ten thousands of an inch), then precisely installed, achieving an exactness of fit and smoothness of function not found in custom revolvers at twice the price of the Texican.

The new Texican will find itself at home shooting popular cowboy action loads, but when called upon is fully capable of safely shooting factory ammunition, due to the high quality materials used in manufacturing and the precision alignment of the chamber throats to the bore center of barrel. Competition sights, springs, triggers and hammers eliminate the trip to your gunsmith you might expect with other single action revolvers. Classic features like color case hardening and bluing help to maintain the original look that is desirable in the traditional single action revolver.

Texican $1,299.99

Caliber .45 L.C. (Long Colt)
    Capacity 6 Rounds
    Frame Frame, back strap, loading gate, trigger guard, cylinders: 4140 re-sulphurized Maxell 3.5. Surfaces all flat with 6 micron or better finish.
    Grip "No crack" polymer
    Barrel 4140 Chrome Moly steel by Green Mountain Barrels. 1:16 twist, Air Gauged to .0002"
    Barrel Length Currently Available in 5 1/2" (More lengths TBA)
    Barrel Bore .451"
    Cylinder Bore .452"
    Chamber to Bore Alignment Less than .001"
    Forcing Cone Angle Three (3) degrees
    Cylinder Gap .003"
    Internal Parts 4140 CM steel, precisely Electron Discharge Machined
    Hammer Spring Leaf with central spine slot
    Pawl Spring "Free floating" leaf with 3-4X competition life
    Firing Pin Hammer Firing Pin (no transfer bar)
    Sights Front Fixed, Rear Fixed
    Overall Length 11"
    Weight 36.0 oz.
    Finish Frames, loading gates, and hammers are Color Case Hardened by Turnbull Restoration
    Miscellaneous Unique pawl rides on fixed pivot
    Front sight is adjusted for no side deviation
    Front sight has enough material to adjust for reloaded ammunition
    Competition ready. No tuning required
    Competition Approvals S.A.S.S. (Single Action Shooting Society)

http://www.stiguns.com/

Quote Originally Posted by What Cheer View Post
    Who is STI?

Thanks,

What Cheer
    http://www.stiguns.com/

They make great guns. I don't have the texican but I have an STI Edge. Its a wide body 1911. They call it a 2011

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post
    Looked at a few new Colts three or four years ago when I wanted to buy a shooter SAA. The fit and finish was FAR BELOW what I got from USFA. I've had FOUR USFA's since then. Sold two of them to upgrade and didn't lose any money on them. For my money I think the USFA's are both a better value and a better product.

Apparently a lot of others feel the same as USFA is flourishing while Colt is going tits up.

FN in MT
    Yea, my thoughts exactly. I gave up trying to find a "properly built" Colt and have since bought four USFAs, they are built with proper tolerances throughout and finished very nice.

Boolit Master
    Anybody else here wishing they worked for a company whose product category was about the only thing moving in these harsh economic times?
    Hard to figure how a gun company (that's been around for about 180 years) is going broke in an age where the public is buying more guns than ever before.
    I'm gonna try to pick up a .22 auto before long (probably a Ruger).
    After that, I'm gonna start saving for another .45 single action (probably not a colt).
    Wonder how the pony would look with eagles wings and a beak?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    I'm a shooter, not a collector

You beat me to it.

Boolit Man
    Gentlemen,

Thanks for the link to STI, they look interesting.

Best Regards,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Having just turned 62 on my last birthday, I remember when "Colt WAS THE GUN TO OWN AND SHOOT" It was my happy day when I bought my first 22 Colt Woodsman, Colt Detective, Python, 22 Colt Scout, Ar-15. These guns were built with true craftsman ship. I think Colts problems started with the strike and shutdown in the 80's and it never recovered. Bad decisions by the higher ups. It's very sad to see this happen. I have a new USFA on order at this time. It's being made on Colt equipment and will be a better gun for less money. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I've owned an SSA, a Python, a 1911, a Trooper, and a Scout. Only have the Scout left (sentimental reasons). All those Colt's I owned were really pretty. Not one of them shot well.

I now own Roogers and USFA pistols. Use them a lot. The USFA gunz are perfect in fit, finish and function. They are the most accurate handguns I've ever owned. They balance like a First Generation SSA. They came perfectly timed (i.e. NO lead splash on cylinder faces) and regulated.

I am looking forward to buying another pair of USFA pistols when I get caught up on the AR building jag that now is the bottomless pit for my money.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master

I love Colt, but they've been out-dated and poorly managed for many, many years now...

What are the best Colt guns? SAA, 1911, Detective Special and it's derivatives, AR-15, and Python. Let's see, most of those are pre-WWII designs. The Python dates from the 60s, IIRC, and it's design is older than that. The AR-15 is also from the 60s and was designed by an outsider and they bought the rights...

Seems like Colt hasn't innovated anything really worthwhile in at least 40 years, and the real hey-day was more like 60-70 years ago... I say go for the pre-WWII guns, if you buy Colt at all.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range. txpete's Avatar
    over the last couple of years I have sold off most of my colts.I did keep the pythons & 1 db.gone are the 1911's and trooper and the AR's.took some of that money bought rugers. guns I can shoot and hunt with and not worry about what loads I can use or if they got a scratch.no safe queens in this house.

Banned
    Mention was made of the STI having a Green Mountain barrel. Like that is holy grail or ferrari of barrels. Here's some info on Green Mountain. They are owned by a company that owns them and the Knight company. In essence they are a big low end barrel manufacturer. Think E.R. Shaw. Now if they used barrels from Lija, Douglas, Shilen, Lothar Walther (many S&W barrels are from LW), you know the rest, then you'd have my attention.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

I have no dog in this fight, but Green Mountain barrels have a FAR better reputation than E.R. Shaw. Their barrels ARE reasonably priced but excellent quality in muzzle loading and for cast bullet single shot rifle use (that is where my experience with them lies).

I know little about STI except their 1911's are highly regarded amongst the action people.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    A good barrel is any that shoots better than the shooter without regard to brand. Like everything else, you gotta' go with what you THINK is the best YOUR money can buy. If you have to borrow money to buy, THAT is not your money, and that will put you over your head. My motto is buy nothing in that situation and wait it out. ... felix
    felix

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    I have no dog in this fight, but Green Mountain barrels have a FAR better reputation than E.R. Shaw. Their barrels ARE reasonably priced but excellent quality in muzzle loading and for cast bullet single shot rifle use (that is where my experience with them lies).

I know little about STI except their 1911's are highly regarded amongst the action people.

FWIW
    Dale53
    I wasn't comparing them to E.R. Shaw, only as being a low end company. As far as 1911's ANYONE can make one of those today and the proof is by ALL the manufactures that have them on the marker...and you know who they are. A person with good mechinal knowledge, the books and the tools, can put together a pretty fine 1911. How you think guys like Wilson, Swenson, Clark..etc.. got started.

Joe

Boolit Master
    Don't know exactly where some people are buying THEIR colts but I've bought 2-3 in the last couple of years and they were superb. NOTHING even remotely comes close to colts case hardening and royal blue. Mine are shooters too, Dead on at 20 yards
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have a Colt SAA, but I did buy a USFA Pre-War SAA. That being said, one of my nicest M1911A1s is a 1968 vintage Colt National Match that is one of keepers one of my boys will inherit someday.

Boolit Master
    Guys, just remember -- designing a good gun, and running a successful business, are two very different things. Note that John Browning stuck to designing guns and let others run factories and distribution networks.
    Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    As stated earlier, Colt has had a history of labor problems for well over 100 years. It was so well-known in the 19th Century that Samuel Clemens used that background as a launching pad for his head injury sustained as Superintendent of the Colt works in Hartford in "A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court". Chronic labor problems--as often as not--are as much a corporate creation as they are a sign of labor intransigence.

Enough of that. Colt can't get it together, or keep it together, for whatever reasons. I own a number of Colt products, most of which are early to mid-20th Century products. It is a shame that my kids ands their kids will only have access to such fine machines via inheritance or the collector market. There is no reason on earth why the Pythons, the New Services, or Detective Specials can't be reproduced just like the 1911A1 and SAA in like or better quality than the Hartford originals. Just not enough market to justify the set-up, with Ruger and S&W covering the consumer D/A revolver needs pretty comprehensively. The strident successes of repro and upgraded SAA and 1911A1 handguns AND AR-15s by other companies shows that Colt wasn't interested in or capable of exploiting that market. Or, more to the point--Colt's lame-assed head-in-the-sand attitude created oppurtunities for people genuinely interested in building guns and taking care of customer needs. Both Nature and markets abhor a vacuum.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.