MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas checks in 357 Magnum boolits

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp81 View Post
    OK, so clearly, the answer is I won't know until I try. For reference, I'll be loading for a 4" GP100 and an 18.5" Ruger 77/357. I am considering just loading to 38 special levels to avoid potential issues, but the big crackenboomers are more fun if you get them to work.
    Yeah, it is easier to make hits at 100 yards and beyond if you have more juice in the load.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I have a 357 Max carbine that I shoot with both GC'ed and PB boolits. Sized to 358, I have been able to shoot PB boolits from 130 to 175 gr up to about 1420 FPS with no leading and lubed with Alox. In my 357 mag revolver, I have not had any issues shooting 135 gr CB's to 1300 fps but normally my loads are significantly slower. Every firearm has its own "personality" so yours will have to be discovered.

Boolit Buddy

One of my favorite loads is a Lee 358-158-rf poured hard and put over 15.5 gr H110 (use at your own risk). I have not experienced much leading in 3" to 18" barrels. Sorry no velocity data.

Boolit Master
    I think that everyone focuses too much on Gas Checks to prevent Leading. Gas Checks improve accuracy!!

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    I view gas checks as another tool in the toolbox. If you need them, or just want to use them, they are there for you to use. Much the same as powder coating, just another tool in the toolbox.

Gas checks were a bunch cheaper BITD, they do add cost. Gas checks will prevent skidding. Gas checks will clean the barrel, they are leading negative, IOW, they not only don't as a rule lead, but they will actually remove lead deposits. They are less dependent on fit for shooting without leading. This is handy if you have more than one gun in a particular caliber and the dimensions vary among them. You can gas check some pretty ugly bullets and they will still shoot OK.

My view is that using a gas check is like hitting the easy button. Same as powder coating, have an issue, powder coat it and the issue usually goes away. The casting of bullets is very much an art form, I'm not very good at it, so I need any help I can get. The other thing I've learned is that if the fit isn't as close as it should be, lower the velocity a bit. even a pretty bad bullet will go 750 fps for the most part. This is about where you want to be with cowboy action, my passion.

I would never discourage anyone from using a gas checked bullet, or powder coating for that matter.

Nitro