RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weather stations

Boolit Master
    I am on my second Accurite. First one lasted for many years but finally got to where new batteries did nothing. Mine is for outside temperature only and is usually within 1 or 2 degrees plus or minus of what my computer says. I would like to have the complete system for wind speed, etc., but the wind speed sensor would have to be installed on top of my shop building and would probably be destroyed by the wind.

Boolit Bub
    I had an Acurite 5 in one for about 7 years. Bought it at Cabela's in the Bargain Barn for peanuts because it had been returned. Finally replace it with an Acurite Iris model.

I use WeeWx weather reporting software running on a Raspberry Pi. It records a record every 2 minutes since 2015 and has nice graphs on my local network. I also send my info to Weather Underground so I can see it remotely.

This system also monitors my safe temp with Accurite sensors.

Use some UV protectant for boat plastic to coat the plastic on the weather station for protection.
    Last edited by n9tkf; 02-13-2023 at 11:44 AM.

Boolit Master
    I prefer the older mechanical analog or whatever you call it barometer , humidity meter , thermometer . no batteries or software needed

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I am on my second Accurite. First one lasted for many years but finally got to where new batteries did nothing. Mine is for outside temperature only and is usually within 1 or 2 degrees plus or minus of what my computer says. I would like to have the complete system for wind speed, etc., but the wind speed sensor would have to be installed on top of my shop building and would probably be destroyed by the wind.
    My wind sensor is on the side of my 30' tower, at about 28 feet. I get extreme winds! Saw 70mph this winter, usually a 90mph storm each summer, my average wind speed is 18mph... they are built to take it, at least the Davis sensors are.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    My wind sensor is on the side of my 30' tower, at about 28 feet. I get extreme winds! Saw 70mph this winter, usually a 90mph storm each summer, my average wind speed is 18mph... they are built to take it, at least the Davis sensors are.
    Good to know. I see you are from SW Minnesota. I am from SW Iowa. We must get pretty much the same kind of winds.

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    I have a couple Lacrosse units, when busted I will replace them.
    Replaced the rechargeable button cell in the unit with the whirligig once.
    It quit working a couple years after that, I took it down and turned it off and a few minutes later turned it back on again.
    Has worked since.

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    Good to know. I see you are from SW Minnesota. I am from SW Iowa. We must get pretty much the same kind of winds.
    If you don't like the weather in Iowa, wait a few hours.
    I live in Iowa too, location? The Pee Trap of the Mississippi.

Moderator Emeritus

So you are on the wet side of Buffalo Ridge LOL yes it is windy out here! A breeze is 12mph...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I have several good weather app on my phone that fill my needs.
    You and me both, Buddy
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

I had my "Davis Vantage Vue" for 8 years or so and it runs flawless. Accuracy is dead on and zero maintenance, just a bit more expensive.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

I have the Acurite that shows about everything wind, direction, temp in/out, humidity in/out,rain etc etc. ..what I like about Acurite is you can buy any component separately and reasonable in price
    I just replaced my outside unit after 5 years of service as it started eating batteries which I think meant the solar portion was no longer working properly
    The outside sensor/head is $115 ..with 5 years of service that comes out to 6 cents a day ..

Bear

I have had two, my next one will be a weather rock.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    You and me both, Buddy
    Weather apps use a station 90 miles from me... where I am a station 30 miles away can be wrong due to the Buffalo Ridge weather phenomenon... Now the NWS uses my station data for this areas forecast...