Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: North Dakota: Tell me about it

Moderator Emeritus

Forget bringing warm clothes, you can find better and warmer stuff when you get there. If you looking at out of state hunting and fishing licenses consider Minnesota and So Dakota. Prices may be more friendly. I know So Dak has a long pheasant season. Try ice fishing, either making friends with someone who has a house or buying a tent.

Keep a positive attitude, people live in the North because we love it. Learn to say hi to people. Embrace the quiet. I took the grandkids and wife to Orlando this spring. It was loud from the moment I walked into Bozeman airport until we left it and went to the car. Between people, air conditioners and vehicles I about went nuts.

Keep an emergency kit in the car, candles, blankets, 2 good flashlights and some snacks. Hope that you will never need it. If you're driving, stop somewhere in Ohio and empty your windshield washer fluid by just running it through the washers. Replace it with stuff rated for -20. Congratulations on what should be the start of a great adventure.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

Cold and colder... hell would freeze over in ND winters...

MO river fishing is awesome fr walleye/catfish, as is the Red River for big catfish. Pheasants, other upland birds, deer, coyote, prairie dog hunting are the most common. Things to do? Watch the snow blow by...

Get REAL winter weather gear. I am in SW MN and I carry a sleeping bag system that is good to -40(has layers so I can adjust). Wear layers, you DO NOT want to sweat into your gear, that sweat will freeze then you freeze! Make sure you keep as much of your face covered as you can, and most important COVER YOUR EARS. Frostbit ears feel like someone used you for boxing practice. Mittens with the flip open finger area and thinner gloves underneath work well for working/fishing/hunting in winter. Again, layers!

I helped a friend recover a vehicle in -80f(Mars surface temp!) wind chill, we even wore goggles to keep our eyeballs from freezing. Good winter underwear, then warm pants, then insulated coveralls, same on top with a warm winter top, sweatshirt, inner liner jacket then outer layer. Fashion goes out the window in that kind of cold! Face mask style stocking cap then the hood, Zip the collar(fur I hope!) up around your lower face if your outer layer has it.

Now that I am retired it is easier to plan ahead, have the house well stocked and stay indoor during that kind of weather!

My advice is to tell the girl to look you up in Naples if she ever gets back that way. Naples has a ton more to offer than anything in ND.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Being from Ohio, I have seen -40 only once, It killed over 40 people not seeing it coming. It was the wind and ice, Never again. People got caught walking back from the store! A true blizzard. 70 MPH winds and -40 Is not my cup of tea! This all happened In less than a hour.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Check your tires, need good tires in snow and ice. If you drive fast you will experience a ditch real fast. .
    If the tires on your truck are All Season tires or something similar I'd suggest changing them over to Winter tires. All season work OK when new but after a year or 2 they the traction really goes downhill and in the bitter cold they turn to blocks of ice.

FWIW 4 wheel drive doesn't do anything for preventing you from going careening into a ditch. It just helps you get going faster in bad conditions.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    Im going to freeze..the things we do for our women.....Ill be bouncing back and forth between Bismark and Waubon Minnesota......im originally from Memphis Tennessee and currently reside in Naples Florida. The coldest I think ive ever felt has been in the teens and thats only been once or twice......my biggest worry is my 7.3 diesel.....Most of the winters that ive experienced have been more wet than cold. Looks like ill be doing more ice fishing than anything and praying for the 13 week contract to be over............
    13 Weeks is very short time. When is your start date? Working inside or outside? None of the advice given is bad but for only 13 weeks and working inside with limited travel your need for cold weather gear is limited. If you are working outside in Jan - March cold weather gear gets to be much more of an issue.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Im literally making a list
    1) Block Heater ( 7.3 Powerstroke has one )
    2) Sleeping and survival kit ( always wanted to put my USMC -50 sleeping bag system in my truck)
    3) -20 windshield wiper fluid ( I would not have thought of this )
    4) White out Driving ( What am I getting into)
    5) Truck Batteries ( Less than a year old, 2 motorcrafts, not cheap)
    6) Why am I putting a roll of toilet paper in a coffee can? I always have a roll under the back seat
    7) Buy better, warmer clothes up there ( Thank you for this )
    8) Tires ( snow tires ...any recommendations )

As far as start and end date ...the end of the month thru end of January, Seems like the real cold weather sets in toward the end of January ( in theory)

Im a travel nurse and the goal is to make it to Alaska in the spring. That is an an entire different kinda post that I want to put on here, just dont think its time yet. The GF got a great opportunity and this was kinda a shot from the hip. Great tips and suggestions....keep them coming

Boolit Grand Master

2) Sleeping and survival kit ( always wanted to put my USMC -50 sleeping bag system in my truck)
    6) Why am I putting a roll of toilet paper in a coffee can? I always have a roll under the back seat

As far as start and end date ...the end of the month thru end of January, Seems like the real cold weather sets in toward the end of January ( in theory)

Im a travel nurse and the goal is to make it to Alaska in the spring. That is an an entire different kinda post that I want to put on here, just dont think its time yet. The GF got a great opportunity and this was kinda a shot from the hip. Great tips and suggestions....keep them coming
    I highlighted the things that you will actually MAY need. The TP in a can with a bottle of rubbing alcohol is an old school emergency heater. Cell phones and the small propane heater like this are a better option. https://www.amazon.com/Martin-Portab...Q%3D%3D&sr=8-7

Depending on weather the ice may not be thick enough for driving your diesel on it until mid-January. Make sure your coolant is good to minus -30. If it gets cold you will want an anti-gel for your diesel. Your must driving will be from the hotel/apartment to the hospital. Other than that if the weather is bad you don't have to go out period. I was born and raised in ND in 1960. I have been in one white out in my life.

Fargo has a nurse shortage so that's my guess as to where you are going. You can get everything you need their as you need it.

Unless you get into rural areas you will need very little special. Your biggest challenge will be driving under ice conditions. You will think the local are nuts the way they drive. It's a learned skill. If it gets icy I recommend going to one of the large parking lots after hours and play a bit to learn stopping/skid control. Remember to turn into the skid and stay off the brakes. If you are not sure if it's icy just tap the brakes and you will know. When you drive on ice do everything very gently.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-13-2022 at 09:39 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

#6 Why am I putting a roll of toilet paper in a coffee can? I always have a roll under the back seat

If you should get caught in a blizzard and spend a day or two or more in your truck, are you going out side to take a dump?? The can will keep your
    t-paper and other stuff together and dry. The stuff under your seat will be wet with just the snow off your feet. Yes your usmc bag will be a good start. Hope you never need it.
    I grew up in Alaska, we lived off the land, three dog night, was not a local band, that was how many dogs you brought into bed with you to stay warm. YOU are a Tough Marine, you got a lot to learn, fall through the ice, then what?? A ten mile run? YES Might want to think about some of what these people are trying to let you in on, without you needing to learn the hard way?? Sleeping out side in -20 to -70 below zero is not fun, if unprepared you will die.
    #4 White out Driving ( What am I getting into) YOU will learn very fast, Think, don't get cocky.
    1) Block Heater ( 7.3 Powerstroke has one ) Might want to consider battery warmers?? In Alaska they put block heaters in (x2) battery heaters, heater in side of truck, they plug all in before shutting off truck.
    You can start with some long underwear from down there, so you can be a little warmer till you find what warm clothes you might want to buy when you get there. Like my grandmother always said " don't matter what you look like as long as you are warm " Stay dry and you will stay warm...
    YOU will learn, by GOD, YOU will learn...

Boolit Buddy
    All good advice, get a stick on oil pan heater or 2, the 15W40 gets thick and a bra for the front grill. A timer will save on the electric bill, 3 hours on starts the same as 8 hours. Watch interior heaters, can start fires.

Boolit Master

i drilled oil wells up there a couple winters. cold, not as bad as Wyoming, but.... follow all comments above. I carried a sleeping bag rated to 40 below F in the car at all times as well 2-3 days munchies, small back packers stove, water, lots of heavy socks. This was all in a 67 bug. I had good tires, studs one winter. Keep your fuel tank topped off. It seemed to me the wind never stopped, just slowed down a bit now and then.

Boolit Grand Master

It really isn't as bad as you would think. Sure, it can get brutally cold, but most of the time it isn't that horrible. An average January day might be a high of 20F and get down to 0F at night. There will certainly be a week or two where it gets down to -20F, and possibly colder. The chances of seeing -30F or lower are slim in Bismark or Fargo. It happens, but not every year. Snow really isn't that big of a deal. It isn't like it is in the mountains, or against the great lakes. Even when it does snow it mostly blows off the road. The real danger of ND winters is the wind, and in the winter that often comes with a lack of visibility and ice. Snow is no harder to drive in than gravel on a dirt road. Ice is the real bad stuff. I've never lived in ND so I don't know what is normal in your area. In South Dakota they salt the cities, and the main highways. Salt on the country roads is minimal or non existent. That's just something to keep in mind. Since you will likely be driving on a main highway, it's no big deal. Also, your truck will rust dramatically if you drive down the salted roads. Just accept that fact, and wash it every warm day you get. White out driving is optional. It isn't that bad most of the time. Some years it never happens. Even when it is bad, usually just wait a few hours and the storm passes. It's no different than driving through tornado storms.

I wouldn't worry about going overboard on a survival kit. A second warm jacket, hat, and pair of gloves are all you really need for an emergency. Extra socks don't hurt. What you really need you probably already have. Tools to fix stuff, flashlight, shovel. Any shovel is fine for digging out. I'd actually rather have a spade than a big scoop shovel most of the time. One common thing you will find is a lot of people put sandbags in the beds of their trucks. The rear ends are light which is not a good thing on ice. Along with weight, the sand offers something you can throw down under your tires if you ever get stuck.

Don't fret the small stuff. In the summer you will find +32F wiper fluid, usually for bugs. Once October comes around, you wont find any on the shelf. Everything sold is at least -20F wiper fluid in the winter. Truck batteries, don't worry about it until it is a problem. You already have jumper cables, don't you?

It isn't like we are all walking around in snow suits all winter. Regular clothes are fine. All you need is a warm jacket, something that blocks wind good ideally. A hat, a regular beanie hat is fine, they give these away for free all over. I think I got one free at every job I ever had. Gloves, just something warm. I personally like the FoxRiver wool gloves, and use bigger mittens over them if I'm sitting in a deer stand or something. Also you will probably want insulated bibs. Carhartt is the standard. You will have to see what you need for ice fishing. Some people are fine with basic insulated boots. Some get the biggest, thickest things ever and still feel cold. Poor circulation or something. I'm guessing you already have long underwear, but if you don't, you will want those. Anything but cotton. Some people like thick ones, I like a thin baselayer. It's only real purpose is to wick moisture from your skin. Dry = warm.

There's tons of options for good tires. A lot of people do just fine on winter rated all terrain tires. Don't be fooled that they are just as good though. If you are buying winter tires, buy real snow tires. I personally don't know anyone who uses studs in their tires, but it is an option. I never have. The key to snow tires is they are very soft, and they have tons of siping. It's a night and day difference between a real snow tire and an all-season. My personal favorite is the Cooper Snow Claw, but the Bridgestone Blizzak is tried and true as well.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 10-13-2022 at 10:00 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    BLAHUT: I think i mislead you when I wrote about the USMC -50 sleeping system......picked it up from a buddy of mine in the surplus business....Im not a marine, never served, dont even want to pretend in front on strangers that I'll probably never meet....I grew up in Tennessee , riding four wheelers and catching crawdads

Any tire recommendations.....My dad swears by Michelin

Boolit Grand Master

What do you currently have for tires and what's the condition?

Megasupermagnum is 100% that the best icy tires are very soft but the downside is they are shot at 20K.

Studs are great but not legal in MN and some major cities don't allow them. Not sure about Fargo and studs

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Something to keep in mind: North Dakota seldom closes the interstate because of weather. When the website says "travel not advised", conditions are such that other states would close the road. I've been in blizzards that scared me when the road was open. I drive 120,000 miles a year across the northern plains, so I think I have some experience in the snow.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Grand Master

One last thing that slipped my mind, when ice fishing, don't forget a set of ice cleats for your boots. Some boots are better than others, but most boots are fairly hard rubber which is terrible for walking on ice. Later in the winter the lakes often get a crust of snow on them that makes it easy, but early season for glare ice it is almost impossible to pull a sled any real distance without my Yaktrax. When I was poorer, I even ran a few short hex head screws into my boots, and that might have even worked better. Just don't walk indoors with them or you will look like a fool when you slip.

Boolit Grand Master

People have different tolerances for cold. Don't be surprised when you see guys still wearing shorts in town in January.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    One last thing that slipped my mind, when ice fishing, don't forget a set of ice cleats for your boots. Some boots are better than others, but most boots are fairly hard rubber which is terrible for walking on ice. Later in the winter the lakes often get a crust of snow on them that makes it easy, but early season for glare ice it is almost impossible to pull a sled any real distance without my Yaktrax. When I was poorer, I even ran a few short hex head screws into my boots, and that might have even worked better. Just don't walk indoors with them or you will look like a fool when you slip.
    A couple of 40 Penney nails in your pocket will come in handy, if you should fall through the ice? Will help you get out, been there done that. Then a ten mile run, to warm up.
    Up here any good brand of winter tire is usually good, except nylon tires, they get hard and slippery, found this out on my work truck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    People have different tolerances for cold. Don't be surprised when you see guys still wearing shorts in town in January.
    When I came back from the mountains I arrived here just after a blizzard, about maybe -20, sun shining at dawn, clear sky, I was out shoveling snow in a t-shirt and sweeting my a** off, neighbors thought I was nuts, I wasn't, just use to the cold, been working out side all winter, at that time -20 was warm for me with a little work. All depends on what you are used to??

Boolit Master
    My son was stationed in Minot for several years. He likes to downhill ski. He bought some sort of ski kite - put your skiis on, grab the handles and kite ski across the endless wide open. Plenty of wind and flat ground. He'd give me weather updates - seems like a pretty cold place, but he liked it.