RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Buck Mark Extractor

Buck Mark Extractor

I was shooting my Buck Mark (22LR) and got a stovepipe. I was shooting cheap ammo (Remington Bucket o Bullets) and didn’t think much about it. After it happened again I noticed the extractor, spring, and plunger were missing. I ordered the replacement parts and now that they have arrived I don’t see what holds the assembly in the slide.

It seems simple to install the parts but I don’t see what keeps the assembly together. Can someone tell me what to look for or what else might be missing that keeps the extractor in the slide?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master
    The interplay between the plunger and the shape of the slide cutting and the extractor is supposed to hold the extractor in place. There is a hook on the extractor which is supposed to catch in the slot cut for the extractor in the slide. The plunger, propelled forward by the spring, forces the extractor into correct alignment and is retained. Assembly is best done in a large clear plastic bag, to capture the plunger and spring should you lose control of it during installation.

With the slide removed from the gun, clean the plunger and extractor recesses thoroughly with aerosol carburetor or brake cleaner and q-tips. Insert the extractor plunger spring and plunger into the recess in the slide and depress them with a (very) small screwdriver or punch. Then finagle the extractor into place, release the plunger and it should be held in the slide by the little hook on the rear of the extractor.

Sometimes dirt and old oil can build up in the recesses and allow the extractor plunger and spring to depart the premises.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Many extractor systems use a spring and plunger that seat all by themselves in a narrow tunnel in the slide. That tunnel can be hard to get really clean so the replacements can be installed. Years ago I found a source for very small cotton swabs (Q-tips style) that fit these small tunnels very nicely but the manufacturer is rather proud of them. Recently I started using pipe cleaners from a local tobacco store for this chore. Pipe cleaners are available in 2 styles: (1) all cotton for general cleaning and (2) bristle style that have aggressive scrubbing wires that really knock that hard-to-get-off crud right out of the tunnel. Now I keep packs of both styles of these handy cleaners on my bench.

That’s great info. Thanks for your responses.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with