WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 1 1/2 primers BEWARE

Thanks for sharing…saddened by our declining manufacturing quality standards.

I’m now getting good performance (actually after 125 rds fired) without pierced primers but only with 38 Spl standard velocity loads and at “low” 38 Spl +P velocities (900 +/- fps with 158 gr). My accumulated data to date now indicates that primers begin piercing with loads at avg approx 940- fps +/- using medium burning powders (AA5, N340, BE86, PP)…940 fps +/- is certainly not “high intensity” and with these powders at this velocity, I doubt, in my humble opinion, that they are over 20k psi +P rating and certainly not over 25k.

I’ll keep sending more rounds down range at low +P levels to accumulate more data towards arriving at a more reliable and predictive result.
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 08-10-2022 at 11:04 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PositiveCaster View Post
    While as reloaders we expect manufacturers to cater to us, the reality is that far more shooters buy loaded ammunition than components. The “responsible” action is for manufacturers to prioritize the majority of their consumer demographics rather than a minority. As reloaders we may be offended and pi$$ed off - but in a free market society this is the norm. Better this than government mandates on how many primers we can purchase or which firearms are “acceptable” to own….

Correct..for ammo makers there is way more profit in selling loaded ammo. Reloading supplies to hobbiests were always surplus or over run.. None of that exists now.. And reloading is a sliver of the ammo market...

I have several thousand Remington primers I acquired during the last shortage about 10 years ago. They pierce easily. I will only shoot low pressure 38 special with the small primers. The Remington large pistol from that period are just as bad. I loaded 100 midrange 44 mags that pierce . I had to pull them down. Pierced primers destroy firing pins and bushings

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    I have several thousand Remington primers I acquired during the last shortage about 10 years ago. They pierce easily. I will only shoot low pressure 38 special with the small primers. The Remington large pistol from that period are just as bad. I loaded 100 midrange 44 mags that pierce . I had to pull them down. Pierced primers destroy firing pins and bushings
    I’m using now 4.5 grs W231 behind a 158 gr 358311 RNL bullet and the primers are now finally behaving with no piercing. MV is 890 fps in my Ruger 4 5/8 inch Blackhawk revolver…this is approximately the same velocity as Winchester and Federal factory 38 Spl +P loads with 158 gr lead hollow points; as chronographed in the Ruger.
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 08-19-2022 at 02:19 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12