Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Skinner sight help.

Boolit Master

Skinner sight help.

Mods, feel free to move this to a different forum if you think another would be more appropriate.

So, I ordered a Skinner winged rear peep sight for my Henry Big Boy Black in .45 Colt a month ago.

It arrived in 11 days, but, it only came with one mounting screw, and the aperture was for a front sight as it was a blade and not a peep sight...

Attachment 301866

I call Skinner and they apologize and said they will send out a new sight ASAP.

The new sight arrived yesterday, and I just picked it up from the post office after work tonight.

Attachment 301867

I open up the package, and instead of just one screw, I get no screws...

Attachment 301868

Whatever, I'm sure if I don't have one somewhere, then Ace Hardware will have one. I start examining it and it looks like the aperture is blocking the mounting hole. Looks like you have to unscrew the aperture in order to get access to the hole.

Attachment 301869

I tried unscrewing the knurled ring on it and it won't budge. I could probably get it off with some needle-nose vice grips, but don't want to damage it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had tried these sights and if they had any issues.

I'm thinking about just sending them back and getting my money back and buying the Ranger Point Precision rear sight. It's $35 more, but might be worth it not to deal with all the hassle.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Mold
    Looks like they sent you a winged front sight first. I have ordered one Skinner sight, and that came with the appropriate screws. For unscrewing the aperture I would use some needle nose pliers with some tape wrapped around the "nose".

A little tip which took me some time to understand... The aperture can be mounted on both sides of the aperture, giving you finer height adjustment. May be obvious to everybody else, but not to me

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Call and ask to talk to Andy directly.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    My skinner sights have a tiny allen screw that goes in from the right side that holds the aperture piece tight.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Don't send them back. You will like them, I promise. Grab a little oil and hit the aperture with it and let it sit for an hour. It should unscrew. Then the sight should unscrew from the base, allowing you to mount it, then reassemble. This has been my experience with a set for my Marlin 336.

Boolit Master
    If it's still tight, get a pair of needle nose pliers, wrap the teeth with tape. This will keep the finish from being marred.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Call and ask to talk to Andy directly.
    Yeah, give Andy a chance to fix it. He's a good guy, you're going to like his sights.
    Maybe they misunderstood, maybe they hired some new kid to pick parts, you never know.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.