RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primers on Gun Broker.com

Primers on Gun Broker.com

Hullo, I was surfing the net this morning,HA and I looked on GB to see what was on the block. PRIMERS , thousands of them, starting at $50 a brick,
    going up to $100, looked like most bids were in the 65-90 $ range.

I can't imagine paying $60-70 for 1,000 primers !!!!!! But they are bidding them up.

I guess the primer Investors are starting to let them go , now that the price is out of this fellers imagination. [Notice the nice reference].

This doesn't affect me, I have enough to last a LOOOOng time, but there are a lot of folks out there that have been caught in the jaws of this mess. IMHO this is probably a planned event, I know the answer, the Mfgs are filling Gov't contracts.
    B. S. I don't trust my gov't.

Oh well I'll shut my pie hole. If you have money, the primers are on GB, small & large, standard & mag.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Most of those guys selling primers on GB aren't legal HazMAT shippers either.

People need to take a deep breath, IMO.

Dust off that old .22 and take it shooting next time.

Geesh!!! This is what we've all been afraid of.... Thanks for the update, Slow Elk 45/70...

If and when these shortages end we all need to aggressively keep our personal inventories up with all the components we'll need.. Many of us learned this in the '70's and we need to continually remind people new to the shooting sport they should do the same.

Brass and powder are now becoming available in more limited supply and they may be the next problem products... They already are in my area..

All the more reason to keep in touch daily with "Cast Boolits"and resources that have a serious interest in the future of our sport. We may see a trend being developed that isn't just panic buying and if we pay attention we'll hear developments first from our fellow members...

TC
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    PRIMERS , thousands of them, starting at $50 a brick,
    going up to $100, looked like most bids were in the 65-90 $ range.
    Just plain ole SCALPERS!
    I bought 2000 Federal 150's today at my local reloading supplier - $30/m
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post

Yeah that would be possible if you could even find .22LR ammo. I still have a stockpile but cannot find that locally either.
    Keep moving forward!

You know that you can't bid on anything on GB on the legit don't you. They have folks just like evilbay to run up the price. Not very many deals on GB or any online auction site for that matter to much corruption.

I passed on $155 a flat(s) yesterday at Knob Creek. Was no bargin IMO but certainly too high for me.

Being highly addicted to this hobby I developed a plan last year that would allow me to continue shooting just as I did in years prior if only to save some coin. My thinking was, its only going to cost more tomorrow so why not buy today. I made a deal with myself that I would buy a little something, every payday. Boy has that paid off.

To para phrase prior comments on the various threads though, only those who are new to hobby or perhaps shutins are the ones that should only be experiencing bad times in the shooting arena. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the current situation of the economy either but I was fortunate to have been able to apply focus on my shooting needs and habits. Luck usually runs the other way around here.
    Sprue ™

Boolit Buddy
    like every bubble, this one will pass as well.
    stop buying at inflated prices.
    inform new gun owners and reloaders than 30$-40$ a thousand of primers is NOT NORMAL.
    the insanity will end... or people will run out of money.

Boolit Buddy
    i ve been selling primers on gb 80-90 per k is normal on that site now i have been buying them for about 5 years by the flat and stockpiling for my older age , same with lead and powder , primers will become available again as the mfg's catch up but i will continue to sell them on gb untill get down to what i think is a minimum safe stockpile and roll the cash i m making off of that into paying off my house sooner

So kycrawler, as Slow Elk pointed out, are your buyers also paying the required $22 Hazmat fee on top of the $80 - $90 sillyness?

Boolit Master
    Paying it is the responsibility of the shipper who may pass it on to the buyer. kycrawler may have confessed to a felony (federal) , if anyone who cares is reading this.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rhead View Post
    Paying it is the responsibility of the shipper who may pass it on to the buyer. kycrawler may have confessed to a felony (federal) , if anyone who cares is reading this.
    where did he say he did not follow proper shipping??? you do not need a lic...

silly u
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

you dont need to be...ups is......

duh
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    you dont need to be...ups is......

duh
    Tell UPS what is in the box and try to ship them UPS.

They won't touch them if they know what's in the package.

FedEX will ship them, but you need to attend a class to get certified as a Hazmat shipper.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, I suspect several of the guys selling primers on GB are bypassing all of the regulations and shipping without the required training and forms. Probably none of them will be caught, but I wouldn't risk it. You can see the penalties at the URL linked below.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-secu...yhmregs.htm#hm
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." -Gerald Ford

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." -Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a legal HazMAT shipper , there can only be illegal HazMAT shipments.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzLeeBear View Post
    ...are your buyers also paying the required $22 Hazmat fee...?
    There is no law requiring any fee, but transport companies are free to charge one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhead View Post
    kycrawler may have confessed to a felony...
    I didn’t read anything that even remotely indicated he had broken any law.
    ...but you need to attend a class to get certified as a Hazmat shipper.
    THERE IS NO SUCH CERTIFICATION RECOGNIZED BY ANY GOVERNMENT AND/OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY!

Legally, to ship hazardous materials, you are only required to follow HAZMAT regulations, nothing more. Read that again, the law only requires you, or me, or anyone else, to follow HAZMAT regulations such as packaging, labeling, bill of lading (forms), shipper notification, etc., nothing more! HAZMAT employers are required by law to have at least one (or more, depending on the number of total employees) HAZMAT trained (not certified) employees. The law requires transport companies to treat hazardous material shipments in special ways during storage and transportation; that’s why they charge a special HAZMAT handling fee. Transport companies are free to refuse HAZMAT shipments, or set their own rules (that may be more stringent than Federal regulations if they so choose). A transport company may require proof of some sort of HAZMAT training (which I have) before accepting a HAZMAT shipment from you, but no law says they have to require it. United Parcel Service (UPS) will only take HAZMAT shipments from HAZMAT contracted shippers, a UPS company guideline, not a law.

To sum this all up; any one of us can legally ship hazardous materials as long as we follow HAZMAT regulations set forth by both the Feds and the transport company of our choice. There isn’t a HAZMAT Certification (at least a governmentally recognize one), but HAZMAT training is available from many private companies for a substantial fee; mostly that training just explains the Federal Regulations, and how to comply with them. Or, you can just download the regulations and read the section(s) you need for shipping primers, free of charge.

I should add that HAZMAT regulations are not something relatively new; they’ve been around for a long, long time. HAZMAT encompasses not just shipping, but a whole host of things like handling, storage, disposal, etc. What’s relatively “new” for us, as gun nuts, was the reclassification of smokeless powder and primers in to the hazardous materials realm.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's the same discussion on the GB forum.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=363063
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." -Gerald Ford

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." -Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by kycrawler View Post
    i ve been selling primers on gb 80-90 per k is normal on that site now i have been buying them for about 5 years by the flat and stockpiling for my older age , same with lead and powder , primers will become available again as the mfg's catch up but i will continue to sell them on gb untill get down to what i think is a minimum safe stockpile and roll the cash i m making off of that into paying off my house sooner
    The majority of shooters and gun people I've encountered over the years have been classy and ethical people. We live in a free country (for the time being) and I'm not qualified to comment on the legality of what you're doing......

BUT.......I can positively say that within my group of shootin' buddies......There are none like you.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    About the time some primers that are not shipped as hazmat brings down a passenger airliner (Can you say valujet) all of the common carriers will refuse to ship primers. But at least one guys's house will be paid off.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player