MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data

Thread: What's this worth?

Boolit Man

What's this worth?

A guy I know has this FIE Italian repro 32 caliber colt army for sale, he wants $250. I have a few cap and balls, they are fun. Is this a good/decent price? Comes with case and holster, I think it's from the 80s?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails received_1306983873118847.jpg   received_520033723028866.jpg  

Boolit Master
    The big question is condition of bore, chambers and inside of the action.
    If the pistol was ever left sitting with black powder, or worse a black powder substitute, they can get some pretty aggressive rust in spots.

My opinion here, is people are often prone to cheap out when cleaning a BP revolver and not clean the inside of the action. If I was buying, I’d want to look inside it first.

My second opinion is IF the gun is clean, yes that’s a fair price for both of you.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

Personally, I don't buy brass frames. In 44/45 cals are known for loosening up a lot when fired a lot, like a few hundred rounds. I not heard of that in 36 or smaller cals, but with my luck it would be a problem. If steel, that be be an OK price.

Looks more like an 1851 Navy to me, probably in .36 Cal. If in good condition, considering today's inflated prices, it's probably a reasonable price.

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    The big question is condition of bore, chambers and inside of the action.
    If the pistol was ever left sitting with black powder, or worse a black powder substitute, they can get some pretty aggressive rust in spots.

My opinion here, is people are often prone to cheap out when cleaning a BP revolver and not clean the inside of the action. If I was buying, I’d want to look inside it first.

My second opinion is IF the gun is clean, yes that’s a fair price for both of you.
    This ^, if in good condition overall and comes with everything pictured then yes, could be a 1850 pocket clone

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the info and replies, owner is telling me it's a .31 caliber colt clone. I'm not really in the market for another cap and ball. 10 minutes of shooting and an hour of cleaning for the two pistols I have now, plus the cap difficulties.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnt55 View Post
    Thanks for the info and replies, owner is telling me it's a .31 caliber colt clone. I'm not really in the market for another cap and ball. 10 minutes of shooting and an hour of cleaning for the two pistols I have now, plus the cap difficulties.
    I wish I had the money, I got to work on a real colt pocket and kinda want one, I don't mind cleaning after a BP range day

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    It is a brass frame 1849 Pocket. Take a look at the flask which is for an 1849. Box appears to be home-made. Value? I wouldn't classify it as collector piece. If the bore is good and it indexes and locks up well - then it could be a fun little "plinker". I don't like brass frames personally. This is not a close repro as Colt never produced brass frames - and certainly not in any of the 1849 models.

Value? It's a used '49 brass framed with a flask and a home-made box with a few balls and I'm guessing som caps. If it was offered to me and I had any interest . . . . maybe $125 to $150 . . . but's that is me. The '49 was designed as a "pocket" pistol for close-up sed defense - I have two steel frame Uberti '49s - a "49 Pocket and a "Wells Fargo" Model that I use a 32 S & W Short conversion cylinder in. Neither gets used much as I much prefer a full sized revolver - '51 Navy nd other models.

Bu, we all have different likes and dislikes as well as ideas of what something is worth. You re the one that has to decide if it is $250 worth of fun.

Boolit Man
    I passed on the pistol, I think I will save my coin for a Ruger New Vaquero.