WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: S&W Revolver Books - Grip Info?

Boolit Bub

S&W Revolver Books - Grip Info?

I have several boxes of s&w factory takeoff grips from older revolvers. I'm wondering if the S&W books provide info that I may need to identify them in order to sell them. I have the basics down like N, K/L, Round / Square Butt, and Magna. I wasn't sure if model numbers or year ID might be helpful in pricing and selecting as I list and if this is available in the books.

Boolit Grand Master

It's hard to date them or match them to specific models. Listing features like washer color, diamonds, etc. is helpful. I’m not aware of any stock references.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the reply, I felt like that might be the case for the non serialized ones. Someone once told me that my S&W Pre-17 should have had magna grips so I wasn't sure how much detail the books went into.
    Glad to hear that I should be good with the frame size, shape, and physical features.

I think about the best you can do is to consult some of the S&W reference books like "The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson", "The History of Smith & Wesson", and back issues of "The Shooter's Bible" and "The Gun Digest." All have photos of various models, and maybe you can match them up.

DG

Boolit Master
    Post pictures over on the Smith & Wesson forums.

They can give you probable time frames, but model would be nearly impossible to determine.

There are some general guidelines, such as target stocks most likely came from a gun with target sights. But then, not all target-sighted guns shipped with target stocks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter357 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I felt like that might be the case for the non serialized ones. Someone once told me that my S&W Pre-17 should have had magna grips so I wasn't sure how much detail the books went into.
    Glad to hear that I should be good with the frame size, shape, and physical features.
    Not necessarily. However, a K-22 should have diamond walnuts, whether target or magna. Goncalo alves came later.