MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trade or sell

Boolit Buddy
    I've shipped a few handguns for a variety of reasons. Anybody can ship a handgun to an FFL by common carrier. For modern handguns, having a C&R doesn't do anything for you, really.

You'll need to pack the handgun well, and take it either to UPS or FedEx. It needs to be one of their actual hub/office locations...UPS store or a drop box don't count. You must also declare it as a handgun...Being cute and putting "machine parts" or something is inviting trouble. If they find a handgun in their system that you didn't declare, you will hear from the police. Also good luck on collecting insurance for undeclared or improperly declared items.

Be prepared to take documentation proving that the ship-to address is indeed an FFL. Easiest way to do this is to ask the receiving FFL for the first 3 and last 5 digits of their FFL then go over to ATF FFLeZCheck to look them up and print out the report. It's not foolproof, though...If the address on their license doesn't match the ship-to address they gave you, UPS/FedEx will likely decline to accept the package. Also, some FFLs will refuse to give you this info for whatever reason, which will make things difficult.

Usually, if you declare it and have reasonable proof that it is going to a legit FFL, the process is pretty smooth. Occasionally, though, you'll bump into someone at the counter that doesn't know the rules/regs or just doesn't want to deal with you and they'll tell you you can't ship handguns. Sometimes if you're polite and can get a supervisor you can get it sorted, but sometimes I've just had to try again later.

UPS and FexEx both require handguns to ship via next or second day air. This is going to cost you somewhere between $50 and $100. Again, don't try to be cute and short-cut this by improperly declaring the contents. That'll bite you in the ass eventually.

So, while it can be done, it can be a pain in the ass and it's expensive. It's far easier to make friends with a local FFL and pay them to ship the handgun for you. The rules are slightly different for 01 FFLs...They can use the USPS and ship stuff common carrier ground, so it's less expensive overall to go this route than to hassle with doing it yourself IMO. If you're going to be doing this a bunch, you should consider just getting an 01 FFL yourself. That can also short-circuit any questions of you being "in the business" of selling firearms without a license...

At the end of the day, I generally just sell or trade stuff locally since the hassle of shipping isn't worth the extra money unless the item is rare.

Somebody mentioned Armslist...I'd recommend being cautious with that. It's like Craigslist for guns...Maybe the deal goes smoothly, maybe you get robbed. If you do sell stuff there, NEVER let them come to your house. Meet in the parking lot of the police station or something.

Boolit Grand Master
    My local shop charges 10%

Boolit Master
    I don't think I would sell anything on Gunbroker, just too much hassle. Buy stuff on GB, yes.

I did sell a gun on Armslist and the guy who bought it was in another state. Took the gun to the LGS, and they packed it up and sent it to the guy's FFl for $55 I believe. I wouldn't do this for Glock, but something special, yeah.

Boolit Master
    One shop that I deal with in MA charges 18% for consignment (might be 20% now). But there's a pretty quick turn around due to its location. It seems that the people who put guns on consignment there are usually non-gun people who inherited the gun (from what I've seen, at least). There's another nearby shop in NH that consigns guns but if you decide to pull the gun before it sells, they charge a fee for trying to sell it (not sure of their fee if it does sell). The store where I might trade the guns is the store where I bought the guns, so they know exactly what I paid for it (they don't do consignment sales).
    Now I'm questioning why I want to sell the guns, other than to put the moola towards a rifle I have on hold (1895 Winchester .30-40, my Holy Grail gun). Cripes, the world might end before the 60 day hold is up.

Boolit Master

Haven't sold a handgun on GB for several years but don't recall any problems/issues with any of the sales. The last piece I sold...a .44 Mag Vaquero...went on consignment to an LGS and I had cash in hand, less dealer's consignment fee, in about a week (including time required for Illinois' silly background check).

Have sold a few long guns on GB, too, and the only issue I ever had was a buyer who gave me a 'negative feedback' because the all-matching 1952 Tula SKS I sold him was 'filthy'...I'd never completely stripped it and there was, apparently, still some cosmoline under the wood.

In today's market, though, I'd probably go back to the LGS or list in 'Swappin & Sellin' here before resorting to GB.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    After all that, I went to the safe to pick some vintage guns to sell or trade, and I couldn't do it. They're vintage, inexpensive guns that I didn't pay alot for, and probably aren't worth alot, so I'll keep them.
    Colt .25, S&W "Lemon Squeezer .32", Colt Police Positive .32...

Depends on the handgun. I have a few collectible handguns that I will be bring to a local auction house that specializes in firearms. I would only trade at a lgs if I was buying another gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    After all that, I went to the safe to pick some vintage guns to sell or trade, and I couldn't do it. They're vintage, inexpensive guns that I didn't pay alot for, and probably aren't worth alot, so I'll keep them.
    Colt .25, S&W "Lemon Squeezer .32", Colt Police Positive .32...
    You know, at the end of the day, this is probably the right answer.

Boolit Bub
    Give this a try...they are an arm of Bud's Gun Shop.

https://www.shipmygun.com/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Then how would you achieve positive feedback? Just like S&S here it takes a few transactions to get established.
    I’m not saying it makes sense. Just relating my experience and observations.

I’d suggest selling some inexpensive items you could stand to lose money on to build positive feedback before putting a high value item on there.

YMMV

Boolit Master
    FedEx won’t let us commoners, non-FFL holders ship guns anymore. Check their website if you don’t believe me. I recently tried and was turned away. So UPS is now the only game in town.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

I have sold many long guns on gunbroker and I always list in my listing that the FFL that the buyer chooses must except the gun from a non FFL or else there will be a extra charge that I would have to pay a FFL on my end.
    Otherwise it’s pretty easy after you get over the initial fear that goes with shipping a firearm the first time or two.
    Now I have only sold 2 handguns on gunbroker so far and they were a consecutive serial numbered pair of Colt single actions and I was hoping that ONE buyer would purchase the pair together to make it easier on me.
    Well, I had them listed separately but it was described that the pair was consecutive and the selling price went very high and one bidder was winning both until the final minutes of the auction then 2 different buyers purchased the guns singley. In my state I had to use a FFL to ship them for me and the carriers that will take handguns make you use the overnight shipping which is very expensive and then insurance. Since my pistols sold for several thousand dollars the buyers were willing to pay the full shipping costs and insurance but being one of the buyers waited about 5 days before paying I had to make 2 trips to the FFL as I ship as soon as a item is paid for.
    For a handgun worth a few hundred dollars I would not sell it on gunbroker as the costs of shipping legally are to high for someone that is not a FFL and most buyers are not going to pay what it will cost you.
    Maybe some states are different ? I did ship a antique S&W break action once thru USPS in a small flat rate box and that went just fine as the state I was sending it to didn’t have any restrictions for antique guns but some do.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    I use a home-based FFL dealer that will sell on auction sites, he charges 10%.

Boolit Master
    Unless you can get a good trade value for a gun your really want, I would sell to an individual. Different rules for handguns and long guns. Long guns can be sent by unlicensed individuals to the buyer's dealer for the cost of priority shipping plus insurance. There are ways to make sure the dealer given to you is legit. With name and address the ATF will confirm it for you; you may be able to do it on their website. Ask your local PO what they require in the way of inspecting the package and it would be a good idea to include a copy of your ID in the package. The receiving dealer should be aware of local laws. It's easier to do what your local PO tells you than to get into an argument with them over something someone told you on the internet. If they are being ridiculous try another PO.

Handguns are what gets expensive because they have to (I suppose still) be sent overnight air by UPS or FEDEX. It may cost less to pay your FFL a fee to mail it for you because an FFL (I think still) can mail a handgun, and should know how to package it so that it's not obviously a handgun.

Because you have to go through them, the final authorities are the shipper and the ATF. I've only shipped one C&R rifle to an individual who was a C&R license holder so it was an easy transaction. The official answer to most of your questions are on the ATF website. If in doubt call the ATF office nearest you. I was lucky and talked to an agent who was very helpful making sure I was understanding the rules correctly. The best advice I can offer is to do your research and don't believe what everyone on the internet tells you (including me) because you will get two or three answers to every question.
    Last edited by higgins; 03-18-2022 at 04:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use gb a whole bunch, never a problem with payment, shipping, selling or buying
    You can legally ship to a ffl as a private individual just include a copy of you DL no need to ship through a ffl
    Fedex is where I ship from never any problems
    set a reasonable price and people will bid, you can also include a reserve price in your auction, meaning that is the bottom dollar you will accept for your item just look over a few other auctions for the same item and go from there good luck
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

I've bought and sold many times on GB. My FFL says it only costs him $15-$20 to ship a handgun pretty much anywhere so he charges me $30. I list shipping in my ads as $30. Done. Easy peasy. Selling on GB isn't the complicated overwhelming boogaboo some make it out to be.

Boolit Buddy

And I always start the bids at $1. Don't worry or stress, you just gotta get the bids going and the dollar start does it. Once folks get caught up in the flurry, you'll make your money. I've never lost money on any gun and made quite a bit on most. Even started 2 different Freedom Arms at a dollar....just gotta have faith.

Boolit Master
    I've sold quite a few antique guns on GB. Only had one problem where someone bid on the gun, then after the auction closed he claimed he never bid on the gun. He even gave me a bad review that was posted. I said to GB, are you kidding me? You can see that he placed a bid. Take down that review. They did.
    Doesn't matter now. It's moot (for me, at least). I'm keeping all my guns. I was going to sell some to pay for a rifle I put on hold but I just bought it without any trades or selling.
    But, there was plenty of good info in this thread. Thanks for the responses.