Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I tell him or ???

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    BFA for the mortar tube
    <checks> A "blank firing attachment"? If so, I get the point.

Boolit Buddy
    When I was a PVT in the Army Motor Pool, I was told to check the spark plugs in a deuce and a half (diesel). They all crapped when I came back with the preheater igniter plug. I was left alone afterwards.

Boolit Master

Key to the Flag Pole
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    At the tank range for sunrise and the fog still covered the left and right limit markers, so the newbies were told we needed the key for the building so we could turn on the "range fans", that's what we were waiting for. We did in fact have to visually by eye identify those markers (range fans). But they of course thought we needed to blow away the fog and would look for the German civilian who had those keys. This while in Germany early 80"s. Can of squelch for the radio's was another. Yes, the radios were noisy when the setting was too low.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    We were all there at one point in time and we don’t know what we don’t know so sometimes things can creep up on us no matter the “dues paid”.

I’ve always found the golden rule to work best. I wouldn’t want it done to me so I try not to do it to others.

That being said, some people need to just learn the hard way. Helping on simple things like that shows him his error and hopefully he learns. Someone will get him again and if he falls for it he didn’t learn, if he catches it you helped someone pass through this life a little easier. Seems like an easy win to me for the karma book?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I have never understood hazing or making the new guy look and feel stupid. It is a waste of time and resources. When in my power, I never allowed it.
    ditto that brother

Boolit Buddy
    always send the new hand to ask the driller for the key to unlock the V door to start moving the drill rig .

Boolit Buddy
    I sent my Female cousin to the auto parts store for keys to a 1/4 inch lock washer. Boy was she P O'd when she came back.

Boolit Master

I absolutely HATED being hazed like that, knowing it was all B.S., but not being able to do anything about it. Had a new C.O take command; first thing he did was try to send me for a bag of liquid floordry, some solar batteries and a moonlight switch. Asked him if he would like me to switch out the summer air in the motorpool vehicles (HMMWV's and deuce-and-a-halfs), sweep, mop and wax the motorpool area (unfinished concrete), or refile the personnel files alphabetically or by date of service (or rank, age, etc.) while I was at it. Was immediately branded an 'attitude'. My career was pretty much over at that point. Their loss. Was told I wasn't 'hooah', (whatever that means).
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    Was told I wasn't 'hooah', (whatever that means).
    Apparently you weren't "Army" enough. :-/ And I agree with you, Ickisrulz, StuBach, and unclemikeinct. While I'm not military, it's not something I do (though I have other faults)—I'd rather help and teach the newbies.

Was tradition for our medic platoon to send their new guys to my recovery section to help us air up the tracks on our 88's was part of becoming apart of the 155....
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

In this day and age, most kids couldn't find you a screwdriver.
    But I've found that most of those doing the hazing had an inferior complex. Just worried that the newbie really was smarter than they were and had to prove to themselves that they really were superior. Just sayin.

I never allowed it and the couple of times it was tried on me, it didn't work, too simple. And I started working way young.
    Military and unions. The two places with too many doing too little for too long. It serves no good purpose. Sorry for stomping on your toes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I was in the room when a new guy was told to bring him some 13/16 bolt holes. The guy went to the shop foreman and was told he smiled real big
    and took the guy over to the punch and sent hi back upstairs with a bucket of 13/16 punch slugs. The guy asked what he needed these for and
    the guy that sent him was speechless. That guy quit pranking guys after that.

I always thought there was a point to (good natured) pranks like this: Get the person to think / challenge (and accept it when they did), or to see if they were just a robot "yes man".
    I think it gets out of hand when the "newbie" calls you out and instead of laughing and saying something like 'you get it', retaliation happens. Retaliation, not good, getting people to think: bonus.

Boolit Master

I always thought good orientation, OJT and making the new person feel welcome and appreciated was the way to go.

TurnipEaterDown: I can see that point (your first in your post), as well as your others.

Boolit Master

When he gets those things maybe he can help me find my box of lube grooves.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Carry a 5 gallon bucket of water to the top of the drilling rig derrick to " refill the water table"!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    That'll be long way up the derrick...
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Military and unions. The two places with too many doing too little for too long. It serves no good purpose.
    That has so much truth it should be a Tee Shirt!

After a few trips for a wire stretcher and the like we tried to send the new helper for a "rat 'n vacuum". No way he says, he's learnt his lesson now, no way he's going to the tool room asking for a "rat and vacuum". No way, no how. It took a while to convince the helper this was a legit item. the "rat" is the foam plug with a long string, the vacuum is to pull the foam "rat" thru the conduit with the string to pull wire with.

Moderator Emeritus

My favorite was reading about the kid who took the list and slept until 10 minutes before quitting time. He was smarter than the fool who sent him. If I have an apprentice the boss asked me to train he will be too busy to screw around. yes I worked union building trades and never saw any of this.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze