WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/2 a Steer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    With butcher dates that far out, I would be tempted to take the plunge and butcher it myself. Probably a lot more work than a deer though.
    It's not the work that the issue it's knowing the proper cuts. Without that knowledge you will mess up a lot of your cuts. Skill comes into play also. Some people still have skill to cut T-Bones and Porterhouses with a handsaw. Most don't so a band saw is a must for most.

Some good pics here of the various 42 different cuts. Saying it's somewhat different than doing a deer is an understatement.

https://www.clovermeadowsbeef.com/cuts-of-beef/

https://dsrcattle.com/beef-sizes-and-cuts/

https://www.angus.org/pub/beefchart.pdf

https://smokegears.com/beef-cuts-chart/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-14-2022 at 06:01 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Scheduled "Butcher" date has become a "MUST" in most places. The butcher we used last time is taking Butcher dates for 18 months from now.
    This is the real issue. Hope you Texans still have local kill houses/butcher shops. In our area there is a very tight schedule. Good luck.

Be very careful about the understanding right up front. You best understand the cuts you get, the cuts they keep and who gets the horns. Not all processors are honest to start with. It is real good to listen very close to the deal. I actually had a guy, smiling, tell me he kept the steaks…. Not bad if anyone is a sucker enough to buy into that BS.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy

Have been buying a whole steer from the same local family for over 20yrs. I know everyone involved in the process personally, as from the farmer to the small family owned and operated butcher shop that kills & dresses the steers, hangs and quarters the halves, and processes the beef.

The nice thing about this process is the farmer and butcher handle everything, farmer delivers steers to butcher shop for killing/processing. My cut instructions and my brothers' are on file, the butcher doesn't even call to confirm since we've been doing this so long. I get two calls, one telling me the steers have been delivered, and a second telling me when our orders ready.

I pay the butcher and farmer separately both based on hanging weight.

If you don't mind paying the same price for lesser cuts like stew meat, hamburger, and chuck as you do for T-bones, prime rib, and sirloin, it's a good way to go. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Boolit Buddy
    Same here as PhilC above, the problem is the local butcher shops are dwindling, they are a year out and we have done five steers from same farmer last 30 years, same butchers also. Cut and packaged. We use to have pigs but farmer got out. Use pork trimmings for venison/elk sausage. Getting harder these days to find but better meat and cuts.

Boolit Master
    Gonna be a new experience for our family this year, as we're buying a whole steer. Should be ready on March 17.

Thanks to all who have contributed. I feel better now and educated enough to know what not to do. Also, I found the links very helpful.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Lots of good information. It is nothing like boning a deer out, well the way 90% of the people would process a deer anyway. The last posts are good. from M-Tecs, Phil and Chambers. I have processed a ton of deer and and would not consider processing a prime beef animal. 40 years ago there was a Meat Locker in every little town (NW Iowa, tons of livestock raised here), I would say way over half are now gone (still 4 within 50 miles of me). I would ask around and see which lockers your friends or neighbor use, might not be much of a choice. Their prices can vary, we have a great one in the area, a little pricier, but the meat is vaccum sealed, not wrapped in butcher paper...I am willing to pay more for that and anyone who thinks they might not have it consumed in 6 months or so, should also be willing to pay more for that. Timing sound like they are 12 months or more out across the country. Once you decide on the locker, contact them about your desires and they can like put you in-touch with one of the producers who have kill dates scheduled. You will likely pay the top of the market price for the day it is delivered, but if you think it is cheaper to get a kill date and when that time comes try to find a producer with one ready or try to save money and try to find a "heathy" single at the sale barn (if there are any left in your area) and then find a way to get it to the locker, hey, have at it! Good luck, with store meat prices today, it might be a better deal financially than in the past.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.