MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .25-20 win

Boolit Master
    I have 3 Marlins. One 1894 made in 1907 and a Ducks Limited made sometime in 1960's-1980's, also a Marlin 27-S pump. The Ducks Limited had a button mag tube that I replaced with a full mag tube so I could use in SASS. In the 80's I picked up 500 new Winchester brass still have 300 unopened.

Have used all 3 to take tree rats (squirrels), coyotes, and turkeys. When .22's were hard to get it worked great to teach my 10 year old grandson to shoot center fire lever guns. I would use the pump for rabbit but only seen 2 in the last five years. Yotes have eat most small ground game including barn cats and small dogs.

Boolit Master
    I have 2, a 92 win in poor shape but with a useable barrel. The other is a 23 Savage in fair shape with a good barrel. The win 92 is one of my favorite guns for small game. I have three 25cal molds with the Lyman 65gr being my favorite. I have enough brass that I will probably never run out but if someone makes another run I will pickup another 500.
    I load 13.5grs of H116 for 2010 fps and about 1" at 85 yds.

What with all the love for the .25-20, SOMEBODY should be making a run of brass. Starline, obviously, since they already run .32-20.

FWIW there's a couple of guys in the ASSRA that are shooting mind-boggling scores at 200 yards with fast-twist .25-20 barrels. Single-shot rifles, of course, and breech-seating their bullats.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    What with all the love for the .25-20, SOMEBODY should be making a run of brass. Starline, obviously, since they already run .32-20.

FWIW there's a couple of guys in the ASSRA that are shooting mind-boggling scores at 200 yards with fast-twist .25-20 barrels. Single-shot rifles, of course, and breech-seating their bullats.
    Won't be Star Line . I and many more have begged them to make runs of 25-20 and .218 Bee for a number of years and their answer is always " Ain't gonna happen , use the 32-20 to reform " . Now you can't even find the 32-20 .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Actually, Starline has made runs of both.
    They were made for a variety of wholesalers but retain the signature Starline headstamp.
    Starline will make anything you want - I believe minimum order is 50,000 - 100,000 pieces depending on case dimensions.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Are those fellas using 25 WCF? Or 25-20 Single Shot?

Boolit Master
    25-20 Winchester, not 25-20 Stevens single shot, winchester was making brass not too long ago. I got a bunch of it from duck creek I think it was. its the most recent brass I got so it might have been in past 2 years. he also had 35 rem and bunch of other stuff that you dont usually find at LGS or bass pro.

Boolit Buddy
    Starline does make 25/20 brass.

They make it for a company called “Load X”.

What I should have said is that they will “only” make it for Load X as they (Load X) paid for the tooling and that’s the agreement they (Load X and Starline) have.

Load X used to sell some of their “surplus” 25/20 brass and back in 2015 I picked up 500 of their cases for $350.00 (70 cents apiece).

I called Load X last week to see if they would want to sell any and they guy just laughed and said no way.

That’s when he shared with me the info about Load X paying for Starlines tooling.

I asked why they didn’t commission a run to sell to the public as he would sell all he could make and he said they weren’t in the business of selling components.

They sell custom ammunition.

ETA:

The guy at Load X shared with me that I would be surprised at the number of obsolete brass cartridge cases Starline makes that aren’t in their catalog.

He shared that there are others in the custom ammo business that have the same deal, customer pays for the tooling and they become the sole customer/distributor.

What is it about the appearance of the .25-20 and 32-20 that inspire little confidence? Even though I know from experience that either will do the job on a deer at reasonable range I don't use them. I do have a pair of SAA-type pistols in .32-20 that are fun to shoot. My brother owns an original Win. '92 rifle in .25-20, 24" octagon barrel, in collector condition that even retains some of the case hardened colors. Many years ago he loaned it to a 16 yr. old friend to take hunting on his first deer hunt. The young man harvested a very nice fork horned buck near Chilcoot, CA, with one head shot at about 25 yards. Myself, I just feel insecure with less than a .30-30-- but you can't argue with success.

DG

Boolit Master
    this is getting interesting. never heard of load x before, but quick visit to the website it does not seem to work properly when trying to pull up catalog stuff they are trying too sell.
    but regardless, if a bunch of us get together as group buy to get tooling made by starline we could have our needs filled for 25-20 wcf brass.
    wondering now how to it all works with starline and how many would need to be ordered.

Says "web site under construction".

ASSRA guys are using .25-20 WCF.
    Cognitive Dissident

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C8B84DA-EE4D-41CE-9CE6-B16CD9E50CB8.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	295819 A friend on the left with his 92 takedown in 25-20 used in cowboy action. Helped him get set up to load and cast for it. No way would I use it intentionally for deer. It’s a hotter loaded 22 magnum. I see it as a great coyote round that hopefully the coyote still tries to run off and die somewhere else.

Boolit Master
    Load -X is a wonderful company to do business with. The owner's name is Steve, and he has been incredibly helpful and honest. I have used them for several years.

Y'know, about six months ago I bought a Stevens 44 listed as .25-20 through Gunbroker. Expecting it to be the normal Stevens version, for which I have plenty of brass. Lo and behold, it turned out to have been relined and chambered for the WCF round, and unfired since. Nice, since I paid a pittance for it.

A few weeks later I went looking to see if I had ANY of the WCF brass, and to my surprise found two bags of 100 Winchester squirreled away. Never have I blessed my "hoarder" genes so enthusiastically. I'm sure I bought it off a gunshow table 10-15 years ago because it was a.) there and b.) cheap.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Says "web site under construction".

ASSRA guys are using .25-20 WCF.
    That's interesting about ASSRA. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    That's interesting about ASSRA. Thank you.

They're using new Stevens 44-1/4s built by CPA, with benchrest barrels having twists of (I think) 10 inches. Long, heavy-for-caliber bullets, plain base because the rules prohibit gas checks, pressed into the specially contoured throat with a breech-seating tool, followed by a charged case. Smokeless powder, I think AA4100. WCF case burns smokeless better than the old Stevens case, I assume. Go over to the ASSRA site and do some searching.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    They're using new Stevens 44-1/4s built by CPA, with benchrest barrels having twists of (I think) 10 inches. Long, heavy-for-caliber bullets, plain base because the rules prohibit gas checks, pressed into the specially contoured throat with a breech-seating tool, followed by a charged case. Smokeless powder, I think AA4100. WCF case burns smokeless better than the old Stevens case, I assume. Go over to the ASSRA site and do some searching.
    I will! I have an old Stevens in 32 Extra Long that has a wrecked barrel. That may be an exciting option for the old gal.
    I appreciate the information!

Is that Stevens a Model 44? I'd like to know more about it if it is. Never have seen or heard of a 44 in .32 Extra Long. Maybe it's a Tip-Up?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Sadly, the 25-20 looks like it is an endangered species. Would love to have one as it looks like the perfect general purpose round. Seems like a scaled down lever action aimed at light weight would be a perfect fit for it. We can dream I guess.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922856495
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 02-05-2022 at 03:41 PM.

Boolit Master
    Is that Stevens a Model 44? I'd like to know more about it if it is. Never have seen or heard of a 44 in .32 Extra Long. Maybe it's a Tip-Up?
    It is not a tip up, and my diagnosis of the cartridge is from a chamber cast. It currently resides in pieces in the box I purchased it in.
    I went through a stage of purchasing junked up guns and either scavenging parts from them or rebuilding them. This was from that time. I actually bought the box for the Crack Shot parts that were in it