RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: What is your favorite revolver for 38 Special?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I am getting a really bad itch for the Cimarron Model P Jr. in .38 Special. Yes, I know it won't do anything my S&W 10-5 can't do but dang I want one!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaaymar View Post
    327 TRR8 performance center.
    My favorite 8 shot 6 shooter.
    Second is my 686 (7 shot 6 shooter) although the barrel should be replaced. Not that it needs to be I just want to go from a 6” to a 4”. After that it may become my favorite.
    I changed the barrel on my 686-1 from 6" to 4". Definitely balances better and shoots just as well offhand to 50 yards... Do the change, you won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by slughammer; 01-14-2022 at 09:25 PM.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master
    Any old .38/44 S&W Outdoorsman or Heavy Duty will do just fine !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	294777Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	294778
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Colt Officers Target from the 20's .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    Any old .38/44 S&W Outdoorsman or Heavy Duty will do just fine !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	294777Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	294778
    Welcome home, Jerry...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy
    While the 686 is nice, I have more fun ranging the 642 out to 30 yards on an 8" plate. I try to start with 5/5 and don't stop until I get 5/5 again or run out of ammo. I usually blow through 200 rounds, end on 4/5, and leave with a blistered hand but its still fun.

Boolit Master
    I only have two revolvers chambered in .38Spl.
    A S&W Model 10 and a Uberti Richards-Mason conversion.
    Nothing against the Model 10 but I much prefer the Uberti.
    I do have quite a few .357Mag revolvers but never shoot .38Spl in them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just reread this thread and unless I missed it, there is one all time favorite 38 of mine that never has been mentioned... the Baby Chiefs Special. This is the very smallest 38 Special that S&W ever made, and as such was the perfect everyday carry/hide away gun for the caliber. I got one about thirty plus years ago, but made the mistake of selling it. Fast forward 15 or so years and I finally got another. The thing is, it's an EDC for me, and so much a part of me, I didn't even think of it as being a 38 Special and one of my favorite guns. OK, so for pure target revolvers, the early post War K38 Masterpiece, for general use and all around defense, the Model 60-4 gets the nod, but every day to be there if things go sideways and I need the gun that's right there right now, "you can't put Baby in a corner" because she'll be there when I need her. So which of my 38s do I like best? Which of your children do you like best?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Just reread this thread and unless I missed it, there is one all time favorite 38 of mine that never has been mentioned... the Baby Chiefs Special. This is the very smallest 38 Special that S&W ever made, and as such was the perfect everyday carry/hide away gun for the caliber. I got one about thirty plus years ago, but made the mistake of selling it. Fast forward 15 or so years and I finally got another. The thing is, it's an EDC for me, and so much a part of me, I didn't even think of it as being a 38 Special and one of my favorite guns. OK, so for pure target revolvers, the early post War K38 Masterpiece, for general use and all around defense, the Model 60-4 gets the nod, but every day to be there if things go sideways and I need the gun that's right there right now, "you can't put Baby in a corner" because she'll be there when I need her. So which of my 38s do I like best? Which of your children do you like best?

Froggie
    I am not clear on your post. Are you talking about the M36/M60 J frame 5 shot or something else?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I believe he is talking about the original I frame Chief's Special, which was only made for a year or two. The closest thing I can think of to it which is still reasonably priced would be the 1970's Charter Undercover, which is quite dainty compared to a current J-frame or Undercover. Charter did a really good job of keeping the Undercover svelte, they actually weigh less than an aluminum frame J.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    To elaborate slightly on FergusonRO35's explanation, the so called "Baby" Chief's Special is a diminutive, 5 screw, flat latch, 5 shot 38 special revolver that has an old style, half-moon, front sight, a noticeably smaller trigger guard and is about 3/16ths of an inch shorter over all than it's later off spring. It is not an I-frame, nor really a J-frame either, having the longer cylinder and lengthened frame of the J-frame that we know and love, while mated with the I frame grip and trigger guard. They were only made for about 16 months in 1950-51 before being upgraded with the slightly larger trigger guard and longer grip frame, supposedly to accommodate the requests of the Police Officers in the field.

Back when you had to be male, 5' 9'' tall and weigh in at 165 lbs or bigger to join the department, the Average Officer was larger than the run of the mill to day. The larger frame was more appealing to men who had larger hands, given that S&W was fighting for market share against the more established Colt Detective Special. So, they charged about $3.00 less, beginning a price war that they would win, eventually driving Colt out of the Police Market, save for a few scattered hold outs and private purchases.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thanks. I had read somewhere that the earliest guns off the line were in fact I frames, then improved I frames, then finally J frames.

Just goes to show, even an old dog can learn something new every so often.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    A snub nose compact Taurus or S&W Model 10 or model 28 depends on mood would like a Win 92 or ruger 77 next purchase unless they make a 32 h&r or 327 FED while i wait.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789