Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nylon 66 Cleaning?

Nylon 66 Cleaning?

I am curious about how often, those that have them, give their Nylon 66's a good deep cleaning? I have one that I bought in the late 70's, used. It is a patent pending gun. I took the receiver cover off and the barrel out for the first time since I owned the rifle and cleaned it. I was amazed at all the grunge I found in the receiver area. Even with all the dirt the gun never skipped a beat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nylon66-1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	294432

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nylon66-2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	294433
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    That is why Nylon 66's are still desirable, like a good old pickup truck, take a lickin & keep on tickin. . .

A quarter and a stout toothbrush once every 5 to ten years is my cleaning regimen for my Nylons....
    And never oil it.
    Lots of prettier .22 semi auto have been made- but none better to ride the river with.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 01-12-2022 at 11:16 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Take off reciever cover, spray with brak-kleen till carbon and dirt is gone then blow
    out with low pressure air hose. Replace cover. Done.

Boolit Master

One of the great .22 rifles of the 20th century. My brother bought one in the early 60s. When I was visiting him in Kansas a few years ago he asked me how do you take this thing apart to clean it.

This is it. You don't take it down any further than this. This one shown is about 60 years old and still going. Make sure you swab out the magazine tube housing in the buttstock and wipe down the tubular magazine itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    This is it. You don't take it down any further than this.
    This is good advice.

I took one all apart once, but only once.
    I spent about three days getting it back together too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Take it down too far and it will take special tool and three hands to get it back together. Mostly you can get by by just taking off the top cover and flushing it out and cleaning the barrel.

The nylon is self-lubricating, so I always just removed the cover & barrel, then flushed the action, bolt, & both the inner & outer magazine tube, letting it air dry.

Mine was an early version, in Seneca Green (not the later bright green).

In the days prior to the sanitary landfill process, my friends and I used to practice the arcane sport of dump rat shooting - for which I removed the rear sight elevator (the shots were usually measured in feet, not yards).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

The Apache Black version (like shown above) was advertised as being THE commercial fisherman's choice for marauding Sea Lions. I've only had Mohawk Brown Nylons- including a .22 Short Gallery Special. Dad gave me his recently so I have two to pass down when the time comes.
    The very last model before discontinuance was called Black Diamond( Blue steel, black stock with black diamond instead of white.

I understand that the gallery gun is one of the most desirable models. I hope you still have it.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

No longer have one, but I never took anything apart. Stood it barrel down and hosed it with auto starting fluid. Don't get down wind! Let dry which was very fast. Shot it with WD-40 or other aerosol lube. Done, 5 minutes! It was a magazine type, not tube feed.

Boolit Grand Master
    Think those Seneca Green ones are also on the list of highly collectable guns

Boolit Grand Master
    I never took mine down as far as Dutchman. I guess I read too many horror stories about reassembly. On the other hand, I have taken both my R92 Rossi and my 94 Winchester down completely with no problems.

With the Nylon 66, I'm in the "Take the cover off and hose it down" camp.

Robert

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Remove 2 cover screws. Pull off cover. Remove big headed screw underneath. Twist barrel. Take off. Spray & clean. Re-assemble reversed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Dutchman's post is correct, that is as far as anyone should go in taking one apart. You can detail clean and flush everything that needs it from that point. I had the "fun" of putting one back together that came into the store as a pile of parts in a box............ never again! Took way too long and was far more trouble than I wish to deal with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by desi23 View Post
    Dutchman's post is correct, that is as far as anyone should go in taking one apart. You can detail clean and flush everything that needs it from that point. I had the "fun" of putting one back together that came into the store as a pile of parts in a box............ never again! Took way too long and was far more trouble than I wish to deal with.
    A cousin who had a gun shop/pawnshop said he took one completely apart and it took 40 forevers to get it all back together again. Take the cover off, hose it down, and call it good.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Mold
    Bought one at a police auction back in the 60's and thought I had better clean it properly, of course without any directions...how hard could it be? I removed one screw and heard an internal spring go "boing". Next stop gunsmith.

This is good information. My Dad has/had one of the black ones and I'm pretty sure it has the diamond on it. We kids shot the dickens out of that thing and I never remember it being cleaned. My Dad recently passed away and along with a very old octagon Winchester, this nylon 66 will be coming home with me next weekend I think. The last time I saw it I think it had a crack in the stock ��, but it still shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleT View Post
    This is good information. My Dad has/had one of the black ones and I'm pretty sure it has the diamond on it. We kids shot the dickens out of that thing and I never remember it being cleaned. My Dad recently passed away and along with a very old octagon Winchester, this nylon 66 will be coming home with me next weekend I think. The last time I saw it I think it had a crack in the stock ��, but it still shoots.
    Check YouTube. There are a couple of good videos on the disassembly and re-assembly. Like everything on YouTube, you need to weed through the Want-to-be's.

I created a time machine by mounting a period Marlin rimfire scope on Dad's old Nylon 66. We certainly have better scopes nowadays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast