RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this 'cheap' digital scale

Boolit Master

Thoughts on this 'cheap' digital scale

I'm using a Lee scale that I received in my reloading kit, but would like to get a digital one as well. Although the digital scales are supposed to be accurate, I'm sure I'll be checking it against my Lee occasionally.

Would something like this "Frankford Arsenal Micro Reloading Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity" suffice?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...homepage032309

Thanks,

Randy

Boolit Bub
    I bought one that looked identical to that one on ebay and it would only measure to .2 grains. I needed .1 grain. I would go with a J Scale brand. I got the FX-VG 40 I think it is called. They also have one that measure to 0.05 grains that is about $40.

Boolit Bub

Micro scale

I've used one for about a year now, so far so good. When you can get it for $30.00 that's a good deal. NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

I've got the Frankford Arsenal scale. It doen't always return to zero and sometimes on its own will start its own tare. If your not using it quickly it shuts off after a few seconds. I mostly use it now to quickly sort bullets by weight.
    Improvise,Adapt, OVERCOME.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Take a look at the one being offered by MTM (the plastic people.) There's one in my loading box that goes everywhere my guns and I do.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

Batteries only and auto shutoff... Keep your money.

Boolit Master
    Get a better one. Mine was a chunk of cr@p and I sent it back. The new one is a pices of $hit. These are a total waste of money. Take the money you would spend and put it on a good one. Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Daves1 View Post
    I've got the Frankford Arsenal scale. It doen't always return to zero and sometimes on its own will start its own tare. If your not using it quickly it shuts off after a few seconds. I mostly use it now to quickly sort bullets by weight.
    I have one and I used it for a while when I started reloading. Mine is very accurate and keeps it zero. I hated that it kept shutting off and you had to make sure you had fresh batteries (the big flat kind ~ look like a quarter) on hand when they go dead your done reloading, at least safely!

I'd recommend putting the $30 bucks toward something else. If you want a cheap scale to start out with I could sell you or trade for mine, if your interested (PM me). I won't use it now that I got an RCBS.
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Boolit Master

Go on eBay, find a RCBS/Ohaus 5-10 scale, buy it, and you are good to go, up to 510 grains. I think it is the second-best scale available - the RCBS/Ohaus 10-10 being the best. But the 10/10 will set you back twice what the 5-10 will. I have both, and find that I would as soon use the 5-10 as the 10-10. The 5-10 will set you back $30-40 plus shipping...

(I have two battery-powered digital scales, and find they are unreliable.)
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy

I BOUGHT ONE FROM A FELLOW MEMBER HERE AND WHEN I GOT IT, IT DIDN'T WORK. I E-MAILED HORNADY AND THEY SAID "RETURN IT TO US FOR A NEW ONE". GREAT TURNAROUND TIME TOO. HAVE PUT IT TO WORK. IT'S GREAT. I CHECK IT FROM TIME TO TIME TO MAKE SURE IT KEEPS ACCURITE. NO PROBLEMS YET....... CAN'T BEAT THAT. Mac

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Got a cheap one 5 years ago "batteries only & auto shut off" its on the 2nd set of batteries and has worked perfect since new. I check every time I start to throw charges which is usually every other week and it repeats with check weights right on every time. I've probably got the only one tho.

Some work others don't.

ive never used an eletronic one before, i got crazy lucky and bought out a guys reloading setup off creagslist about a year ago for $500 it had one of these in there http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=415607 the guy hadent reloaded a thing in about 10 years. There was about $500 worth of powder and primers alone! (pre election rates ) If i ever end up needing another scale, it will likley another one of these.

I got the RCBS 10-10. Works great for me. Came with the setup I bought from a guy who wasn't reloading anymore. My buddy uses a digital though, and it works fine for him. Don't know the brand, sorry.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Go to midway and read all the reviews for digital scales. That should give you some idea as to how much money you will have to spend to get a good one. My pre-rsbs ohaus beam scale is still going strong after 30+ years.

In Remembrance
    Best scale I've ever used--and still use--is my trustworthy RCBS 5-0-2. The 10-10 is an incredible piece of equipment, but I didn't see the $100 additional value for what I do. I have an RCBS 5-0-5 as well, and it too is a fine piece of equipment.

I also have an old Lee Safety Scale that is incredibly accurate and consistent--I use it for a backup check when working up new loads or new powders. It's not as easy to use as the RCBS, but again, it is incredibly accurate and reliable.

Have had zero interest in a digital scale. Hate buying batteries and hate having them go out at the most inopportune times. Only time I have ever considered buying a digital scale is to weigh boolits. . .

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the Dillon electronic scale and don't have any problems.

Boolit Master
    i have both digital and beam scales.
    10-10 and ohaus triple beam, dillon and denver inst mxx-123, and a 130 electronic+/-.05lb

10-10 for bulky rifle( 7rem mag/300 win mag etc),
    when setting up the dillon measures,
    small lots of pistol
    triple beam is seldom used now that i have a 130 lb electronic scale.
    mxx-123 benchrest ammo, brass sorting, bullet sorting
    dillon does not get used since i got the mxx-123(+/- .02)
    it did cost about 300 bucks and it does sit on a granite block 3x12x18....very stable.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Le Loup Solitaire

Scales

For what its worth; I once bought a brown crinkle-finished Redding beam scale newabout 4-5 decades ago and am still using it. Never used the oil damper feature. It has always kept to .1 of a grain, never lost its accuracy and I have checked it against a pharmacists scale in a pharmacy and nothing has changed or ever changes. I keep it dust free and it just keeps on doing its job well. Nothing cheesy about it, no batteries, no warmups, no B.S. hype on the original box and nothing is wearing out. They pop up now and then on E-Bay and usually go for $10.-$12. or so. Maximum weight capacity is 325 grains. They're easy enough to calibrate with a set of scale weights or make your own using a penny, nickel, dime and quarter or else some copper wire cut into short lengths that can be weighed exactly by your local pharmacist. Yes it may be all old school stuff and style, but you be the judge about whats best for you and what your accuracy depends on. LLS

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    I have five scales. Redding, Herter's, Lee, Lyman and RCBS all of which are balance beams. I bought one of the Frankford electonic units and had all of the problems listed above. I tried to weight/sort cast with the Frankford and just threw it away in frustration. Now I use the RCBS and check it with the Lyman. Unless mine was a lemon they are not worth the powder to..... Keep writin', I'm learnin'. Helice

I will throw my 2 cents in because I have had the same fever to get a digital.

From what I have gathered, through experience and reading, an accurate and repeatable digital scale is going to cost some money. You get what you pay for. I like to hold on to as much $'s as I can and I found the beam scales are just as good, and most times, better than a wiz-bang digital scale. What got me was lack of repeatability for the digitals I tried.

I am sure there are good ones, but I will stick with my beam and spend the money saved on a wiz-bang die, mold, gun, scope, etc...