Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Thank you TylerR. I downloaded all into a zip file as you suggested. Cura was able to then slice it. Believe it or not I did a fair amount of searching & reading prior to posting about my issue. Here's my progress so far.

Attachment 293821
    Your attachments are not coming through for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Your attachments are not coming through for me.
    That's weird. I click on them & they open. I'll try again.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211230_133207339 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	293825

Ok, last question for the day. I assume I should rotate square base mount & post mount so that the larger flat ends are down prior to slicing. When I opened those 2 stl's in Cura the orientation looked to be upside down. The rounded end of the square base mount was shown to be at the bottom. The post mount I also considered to be upside down as the much smaller end was on the bottom.

Ok, last question for the day. I assume I should rotate square base mount & post mount so that the larger flat ends are down prior to slicing. When I opened those 2 stl's in Cura the orientation looked to be upside down. The rounded end of the square base mount was shown to be at the bottom. The post mount I also considered to be upside down as the much smaller end was on the bottom.
    They should be oriented just as shown in the manual.

Boolit Mold
    Hello All,
    New to the forum and very interested in this particular thread and in wanting to make a bullet case collator. I've been reading through the very extensive posts with interest...and have downloaded all the files at Github. I have a a couple of 3D printers and have some experience with them, so not a complete newbie from that aspect, but have a question for those of you that use a Mac....I have Openscad loaded on my Mac, but when using the Parts Generator (collateral plate generator tab), I can't set the path to Openscad in the Applications folder. The Openscad app is greyed out and cannot be selected. Anyone have a fix to this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyH View Post
    Hello All,
    New to the forum and very interested in this particular thread and in wanting to make a bullet case collator. I've been reading through the very extensive posts with interest...and have downloaded all the files at Github. I have a a couple of 3D printers and have some experience with them, so not a complete newbie from that aspect, but have a question for those of you that use a Mac....I have Openscad loaded on my Mac, but when using the Parts Generator (collateral plate generator tab), I can't set the path to Openscad in the Applications folder. The Openscad app is greyed out and cannot be selected. Anyone have a fix to this issue?
    The short answer is that there are issues with it on a mac. I would recommend opening the plate generator directly in openscad. The code is well commented as far as all the parameters go.

Boolit Mold
    ok, ty. I took a quick look at the code in Openscad and will work with it as time allows. It is well commented as you stated.

Hi.
    More and more parts are coming in from Aliexpress and i´m getting ready to put it all together.
    But,,, i´m a complete noob around electronics (but i can read and understand schematics) and i wonder if you can point me to a 2A SSR from Aliexpress?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...rchText=2a+ssr

Quote Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
    Hi.
    More and more parts are coming in from Aliexpress and i´m getting ready to put it all together.
    But,,, i´m a complete noob around electronics (but i can read and understand schematics) and i wonder if you can point me to a 2A SSR from Aliexpress?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...rchText=2a+ssr
    I am not sure on Ali. This is the one I use on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not sure on Ali. This is the one I use on Amazon.
    Thanks!
    Maybe i have to go for that one. I was trying to avoid import fees etc ( i can schoose EU warehouse on Ali).

Happy New Year to all. Looking to finalize my purchases for to complete this project. Is there any reason this proximity sensor wouldn't work? The only difference I can see is the sensing distance is 8mm as opposed to 14mm in the manual. The description states that it is a normally open but all the reviews state that it is NC. It's also 1/6 the cost & it's Amazon prime not a 3rd party vendor like the other one.
    https://www.amazon.com/InduSKY-Induc...ct_top?ie=UTF8
    Last edited by Sig; 01-04-2022 at 07:24 AM.

Happy New to all. Looking to finalize my purchases for to complete this project. Is there any reason this proximity sensor wouldn't work? The only difference I can see is the sensing distance is 8mm as opposed to 14mm in the manual. The description states that it is a normally open but all the reviews state that it is NC. It's also 1/6 the cost & it's Amazon prime not a 3rd party vendor like the other one.
    https://www.amazon.com/InduSKY-Induc...ct_top?ie=UTF8
    This question comes up a lot. I own one of the cheaper 8mm sensors. The one I have is unreliable. It is this one here:

The listed one can be found cheaper, but sometimes it is coming from China.

https://www.newegg.com/autonics-prd1...2YK-03AS-000H2
    Last edited by Red River Rick; 01-02-2022 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Ebay links are not allowed

This question comes up a lot. I own one of the cheaper 8mm sensors. The one I have is unreliable. It is this one here:

The listed one can be found cheaper, but sometimes it is coming from China.

https://www.newegg.com/autonics-prd1...2YK-03AS-000H2
    Those prices are a lot more reasonable. I'll be the g.p.......I ordered one to have on hand and try out. I did NOT order it from New Egg.....click their Chinese source on the page and you'll see why......The Ebay Chinese source has a much better track record.

Speaking of records, for the record I have only used the 8mm cheapies TylerR said was unreliable.....thankfully, for me they have been reliable.....except for the one I fried.....don't ask....stupidity will suffice. That said, I've been wanting to try one of the shorties TylerR uses......so I will.

One difference may be that TylerR's 3d printed holder is closed and maybe needs the extra range, the one I've been using is open with the sensor touching the cases as they fall. That said, I do like the closed design....a little cleaner....but mine works great so far....and if it ain't broke I leave it alone.
    Last edited by Red River Rick; 01-02-2022 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Those prices are a lot more reasonable. I'll be the g.p.......I ordered one to have on hand and try out. I did NOT order it from New Egg.....click their Chinese source on the page and you'll see why......The Ebay Chinese source has a much better track record.

Speaking of records, for the record I have only used the 8mm cheapies TylerR said was unreliable.....thankfully, for me they have been reliable.....except for the one I fried.....don't ask....stupidity will suffice. That said, I've been wanting to try one of the shorties TylerR uses......so I will.

One difference may be that TylerR's 3d printed holder is closed and maybe needs the extra range, the one I've been using is open with the sensor touching the cases as they fall. That said, I do like the closed design....a little cleaner....but mine works great so far....and if it ain't broke I leave it alone.
    That could very well be the case, but probably just the distance and not the actual material. There is a 2mm gap from the sensor to the bullet/case. Which is one of the problems with these sensors, the distance ratings are very optimistic.

That could very well be the case, but probably just the distance and not the actual material. There is a 2mm gap from the sensor to the bullet/case. Which is one of the problems with these sensors, the distance ratings are very optimistic.
    Exactly....distance. Distance ratings are for iron/steel and we are working with brass. I feel lucky brass even works. Looking forward to comparing the two sensors. I may have to redesign my Tee that I use to use the shorter sensor, or figure out a way to use your tee with a minimal drop tube someway up there under the collator .......with the seven station press and the 7' ceiling I don't have the room for tall drop tubes. I'll figure something out. The china source means waiting for Feb. 1st., but I'm in no hurry. Should be fun.

@GWS...
    I really like your design for the proximity sensor and i want to use it bfor the bullet feeder. I will use a spring for the bullets, but i don´t want the hole spring filled with bullets all the time and therefor i need to attach the sensor to the bullet feed die insert.
    Is there an adapter for this connection available? Maybe i just missing it?
    TIA

Boolit Buddy
    I'm pretty sure Tyler's design has an adapter for lower (either at the bullet die or lee app press) that houses the sensor. The alt tubes are the ones for at the feeder (for brass).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSUICEMAN View Post
    I'm pretty sure Tyler's design has an adapter for lower (either at the bullet die or lee app press) that houses the sensor. The alt tubes are the ones for at the feeder (for brass).

"Spring_Drop_Tube_Large" seems to be the one i´m looking for. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
    "Spring_Drop_Tube_Large" seems to be the one i´m looking for. Thanks!
    If you wanted the sensor up by the collator, similar to GWS's design, you would use the "Drop_Tube_Alt_13mm" up top and then "Spring_Drop_Tube_Large" on the feed die.

If you are looking for the sensor to be at the feed die, then you would be using the standard drop tubes.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUICEMAN View Post
    Crap, I didn't see that. Well, we shall see if a 6rpm JGY370 works well. Or I'll have to make an adapter for this one.

Had my first failed print. Was doing mounting post and post mount base and for whatever reason it stopped 88% done. Sad. Think my raspberry pi had a low voltage warning and I was printing it through octopi rather than on card. Oh well. Won't do that again. Will only print from SD card mounted in printer.

how did the 6rpm JGY370 motor perform? do you still need variable controller?

Page 268 of 361 FirstFirst ... 168218258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274275276277278318 ... LastLast