Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Herter's Press

Boolit Master

Herter's Press

Last month I scored a Herter's press at a nearby auction. Pressman helped me ID it and sent an amazing amount of info on it's history and even a catalog showing how it was originally merchandised.
    My first plan was to use it as a dedicated depriming station, but investigation showed that to be overkill, due to the sturdy construction and design not being conducive to orderly collection of spent primers.
    I am now contemplating using it to make shotgun wads. The sturdy design is a plus for this use. Perhaps another use will come to me as the number of wads I need isn't that great.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Guess I have never heard of doing such a thing. What are your plans to go about it?

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe I'm a bit archaic, but I use an arch punch and a hammer to cut out shotgun wads. I don't reload plastic shotshells though, only brass.

Boolit Master

I purchased 12 and 20 Ga. dies from a vender in Canada. I can probably crank out a lifetime supply in an afternoon. I have saved cereal boxes and corner packing from pallets to use for donor material. I saw some carton inserts at a Class 6 store recently that might be another good material.
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

I have an old 2 station Herters press. Very solid heavy duty unit. Shell holders can be a problem. Unless you can find originals, you need a adapter.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    I have an old 2 station Herters press. Very solid heavy duty unit. Shell holders can be a problem. Unless you can find originals, you need a adapter.
    A couple of different companies have made these shell holder adaptors for the proprietary shell holders the Herters presses used. IIRC, Ch4D ca still provide them for you. The bad news is that you lose about a quarter inch of distance between the shell holder and the bottom of the die, but the good news is that for most cases, the Herters presses are tall enough it doesn’t matter. Priming with this type of “adapted” shell holder may be a challenge, but I prime off press by hand, so this isn’t a consideration. Pressman could have told you more about this.

Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Gn Frog;
    Pressman did tell me more. He sent an original Herter's catalog and a current issue of the Antique Reloading group's journal, topic Herter's presses. I found the article to be comprehensive.
    I got one of the CH adapters to compliment the No. 1 shell holder that came with the press. It covered the 30-06 family and 45 Auto.
    Bill

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I purchased 12 and 20 Ga. dies from a vender in Canada. I can probably crank out a lifetime supply in an afternoon. I have saved cereal boxes and corner packing from pallets to use for donor material. I saw some carton inserts at a Class 6 store recently that might be another good material.

Bion my very first reloading press was a mail-ordered Herters... many, many years back. I am interested in the Canada vendor you ordered from... Might you post a link &/or name/address? Also, I have a few old Herter catalogues -- I can copy/send their listing, perhaps, of your new press if you give specifics?
    Thanks much!
    geo

Banned

Sounds like Pressman really helped you out………..too bad he isn’t around here anymore!

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Sounds like Pressman really helped you out………..too bad he isn’t around here anymore!
    Too bad you are not around anymore either…..
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Does Herters us a J type shellholder like the older Lymans?
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    No, they're bigger diameter that the J's... and the bottoms are shaped differently... not a straight diameter like the J's... search "Herters shell holder" on Flea Bay and you'll see what they look like...

Boolit Master

I believe the Herters shell holders interchange with Lachmiller. Rather than snapping in place they are contained by 2 setscrews.

Boolit Master

I've been using my single stage Herter's press since I bought it in the mid 60's. Fantastic press!
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve been shuffling some of my less-used reloading gear when it dawned on me that my most basic Herters press, a Model 3, has the bushing to allow the larger (shotgun,etc) or standard 7/8 X 14 dies and a special bushing to take 310 dies. I’ve been accumulating some threaded push through sizing dies in standard and 310 sizes in preparation for a foray into tumble lubing and powder coating. This sounds like a perfect pairing. I won’t be putting as much pressure on it as bullet swaging, but the Herters press has plenty of beef for that job.

As I contemplate the next configuration for my loading bench, I’m thinking that if I put all of my sizing, a heated Star, a Lyman 450 and this Herters press across one end, I can quickly choose among or change between lube styles. I knew I would find a good use for that old Model 3 press!

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    I know this isn’t a swapping and selling page, but does anyone know where I can find a #25 shell holder for the standard (not screw in) Herters presses? I got a small box full of holders with one of my purchases and have picked up a couple more, but that one has eluded me. I have the adaptor, but would rather not use it. Is there a vendor anyone knows of that specializes in these things?

Froggie